Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 500f vs 500x - a conundrum  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Yeldur

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: 500f vs 500x - a conundrum
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I don't mind bias providing it's justified and it seems to be here, I always did think the 500x looked more comfortable to ride, and after riding the 215 miles with clip ons, I definitely am looking for something that won't murder me after 50 miles lol. As for testing, I can't currently as I'm not A2 legal yet, which means for the time being I'm stuck on the 125, however, soon as I have achieved my A2 license I'll most definitely be giving both a test. (I may even give the 500R a test just for a giggle) - From my point of view I'm still swaying towards the X and this has helped to solidify that sway more. Thanks very much to you all!

As a quick last side note question, if I was to get the X, what sort of aftermarket exhausts are available to make the bike roar? I like my bike with a bit of sound and after coming off of one without any aftermarkets that I can find (Sinnis) I'd definitely love to hear a bit more oomph.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:55:26 PM by Yeldur »

Offline Driver

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »
I know I'm a little late to the party but thought I'd have my 2 cents.

I love my CBX (my first bike not counting my moped when i was 16, 10 year ago), it's an awesome all rounder. I have commuted on it, I've done short runs locally and I've done longer (150miles+) rides. I have only a few complaints of the bike. The wind buffeting is horrific over 50mph but I'm quite tall (6'2") and took of the screen extension as it looked bad lol. After about 60-90 mins of riding i do start getting a bit of a dead arse. It's not the prettiest but that's a matter of opinion, still prettier than the 500f IMO. I've gotten a little bored with mine so will be upgrading to something a bit sportier this winter (MT07 and Husky 701SM on the short list at present) Like most have said, you're best getting through your test and taking both for a good long test ride. ONly you will know which you prefer.

In regards exhaust there's quite a few from cheaper GPR slip ons to full Arrow and Akroprovic systems but to be honest the little 47hp twin never really sounds that nice compared to other twins with the 270degree crank like the Triumph and Yamaha engines but again, that's just this stranger from the internets opinion.

Essay over  :008:

Whatever you get, have fun and keep it shiny side up  :152:

Offline Yeldur

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 11:10:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Driver >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
I know I'm a little late to the party but thought I'd have my 2 cents.

I love my CBX (my first bike not counting my moped when i was 16, 10 year ago), it's an awesome all rounder. I have commuted on it, I've done short runs locally and I've done longer (150miles+) rides. I have only a few complaints of the bike. The wind buffeting is horrific over 50mph but I'm quite tall (6'2") and took of the screen extension as it looked bad lol. After about 60-90 mins of riding i do start getting a bit of a dead arse. It's not the prettiest but that's a matter of opinion, still prettier than the 500f IMO. I've gotten a little bored with mine so will be upgrading to something a bit sportier this winter (MT07 and Husky 701SM on the short list at present) Like most have said, you're best getting through your test and taking both for a good long test ride. ONly you will know which you prefer.

In regards exhaust there's quite a few from cheaper GPR slip ons to full Arrow and Akroprovic systems but to be honest the little 47hp twin never really sounds that nice compared to other twins with the 270degree crank like the Triumph and Yamaha engines but again, that's just this stranger from the internets opinion.

Essay over  :008:

Whatever you get, have fun and keep it shiny side up  :152:

Cheers man, thanks for your opinions, I've done a bit of research and the Acropovic systems sound fantastic at least in my ears, I personally love the look of the bike, but only time will tell if I actually enjoy riding it.

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »
As a previous owner that took my cb500x off road, lots commuting, lots of motorway, lots of trips into mainland europe i would recommend it as a do it all bike.

The X screen protection is better than the F and also the rear rack (if you put one one) mounts into twice as many places on the X than the F so is stronger.
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Phils bike

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Sand 2016 cb500x
  • City / Town: Sowerby bridge
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 09:35:50 PM »
Hi as regarding the exhaust ive recently fitted the micro mini from fuel exhausts
The build quality is superb and really makes the bike come alive
Before you shell out on an akro check one out highly recommended

Offline Yeldur

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 12:14:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Phils bike >>>> link hidden <<<<
Hi as regarding the exhaust ive recently fitted the micro mini from fuel exhausts
The build quality is superb and really makes the bike come alive
Before you shell out on an akro check one out highly recommended
Thanks, will do!

*Originally Posted by Dukie >>>> link hidden <<<<

As a previous owner that took my cb500x off road, lots commuting, lots of motorway, lots of trips into mainland europe i would recommend it as a do it all bike.

The X screen protection is better than the F and also the rear rack (if you put one one) mounts into twice as many places on the X than the F so is stronger.

Thanks very much for your input! I like the sound of a do it all bike so I probably will end up with the X!

Offline yojimg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 03:04:51 AM »
Here's a picture showing the relative riding positions of the three versions of the CB500.

The CB500X has a taller fork, handlebars with more rise, and a higher seat height than the CB500F.  It also has a bigger fuel tank, so the bike has more range.  I sat on both when I was shopping, and the X felt like a bigger, more comfortable bike to me...I didn't like the hunched-over feeling from the F's lower bars.

I added a US$20 Coleman/MadDog seat pad to my X, which seems to have solved my seat discomfort issue.

-Jim G

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 05:00:31 AM »
+1:for fuel xhaust
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 in red
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 08:48:40 AM »
This site: >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login is really useful as you can enter the details and see which bike might be more comfortable for you.

Offline Yeldur

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 11:03:32 PM »
Thanks very much for the diagram and the link to the website, will check it out!

A question for all of you, my bike currently (125) has twin bloody discs for a front brake, and whilst I think on a 125 it's completely unnecessary, I actually really enjoy the stopping power they have, if they don't come stock with the CB500X (Assuming they don't) can I add them on later down the line.

Recent Topics