Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 500f vs 500x - a conundrum  (Read 1922 times)

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
Re: 500f vs 500x - a conundrum
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 12:45:56 AM »
Not easily; in fact,that's entering you-do-not-want-to go-there land.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 in red
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 06:43:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yeldur >>>> link hidden <<<<
A question for all of you, my bike currently (125) has twin bloody discs for a front brake, and whilst I think on a 125 it's completely unnecessary, I actually really enjoy the stopping power they have, if they don't come stock with the CB500X (Assuming they don't) can I add them on later down the line.

Stock CB500x has a single disc on the front. Anything is possible, given the time and money. I feel that the single disc on the CB500x has sufficient power for the bike. Too much brake power can overwhelm tyres and suspension and then create problems of its own. Might not keep the ABS either. Getting as sticky tyres and practicing the correct braking techniques will probably be more cost effective.

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Geel
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 07:29:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by John1411 >>>> link hidden <<<<
Stock CB500x has a single disc on the front. Anything is possible, given the time and money. I feel that the single disc on the CB500x has sufficient power for the bike. Too much brake power can overwhelm tyres and suspension and then create problems of its own. Might not keep the ABS either. Getting as sticky tyres and practicing the correct braking techniques will probably be more cost effective.
I disagree about the ABS.
In case of an incident, where one has to react in a fraction of a second, reflexes are taking over. The way those reflexes do the right thing decides for a great deal whether one is able to overcome the situation or not. Not everyone is a professional rider, nor has he/she the possibility to train regularely. This is where the ABS technology comes in: an assist to the rider. It can not solve your problem in all situations, but it could help you. Why wear a helmet if you are not planning to go down? I understand one might disconnect the ABS in off-road situations, but that is another story..
Sticky tyres and correct braking techniques are probably more cost effective indeed, except that your life itself is priceless!
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 08:51:13 AM »
I believe that John meant that the brake conversion may force you to lose ABS Ceddy. I do agree that ABS is a worthwhile system!
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 in red
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sargent_Horse >>>> link hidden <<<<
I believe that John meant that the brake conversion may force you to lose ABS Ceddy. I do agree that ABS is a worthwhile system!

That's what I meant, thanks  :152:

Offline Dr Strange

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: sheffield
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yeldur >>>> link hidden <<<<
Thanks very much for the diagram and the link to the website, will check it out!

A question for all of you, my bike currently (125) has twin bloody discs for a front brake, and whilst I think on a 125 it's completely unnecessary, I actually really enjoy the stopping power they have, if they don't come stock with the CB500X (Assuming they don't) can I add them on later down the line.

Honda are a multi million pound company that have been designing and producing motorcycles for a long time, they have top design engineers and test all their bikes before selling them to the hoi polloi. Why do you think you know better than honda and want to redesign their wheel? if you want twin discs, buy a different bike or stick with your 125. Just my opinion and in no way is it meant to cause offence.

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Geel
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 10:14:51 AM »
That's what I meant, thanks  :152:
Oops...my mistake...apologies!
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 04:08:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dr Strange >>>> link hidden <<<<
Honda are a multi million pound company that have been designing and producing motorcycles for a long time, they have top design engineers and test all their bikes before selling them to the hoi polloi. Why do you think you know better than honda and want to redesign their wheel? if you want twin discs, buy a different bike or stick with your 125. Just my opinion and in no way is it meant to cause offence.

People like to modify their bikes and make them better. I will most certainly not be sticking with the stock suspension on the 500X because it would make a massive difference and make the bike better.
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Offline Dr Strange

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: sheffield
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 06:58:56 PM »
changing suspension is one thing, but putting twin discs on a single disc wheel is another, i find the single disc on the x more than enough, but then i'm not a demon late braker and i like to look quite a bit ahead and plan my braking accordingly. Like i said it would be probably cheaper to buy a bike with twin discs already there are plenty to choose from. Each to there own.

Offline Yeldur

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 11:05:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dr Strange >>>> link hidden <<<<
The reason I asked here was to get opinions on whether it was possible or worthwhile doing, if I thought I knew better than Honda I would have just done it when I got the bike, so I'm not sure why you're implying such a thing.

I get that it's just your opinion but your wording makes it hard to believe that you were trying to imply anything BUT offense.

I wasn't planning to add the twin discs on the front straight away anyhow, I've never actually used a bike without twin discs, so I have a lack of experience in that area, but thanks for your opinion, if you think twin discs are probably too much then I will probably follow that advise, especially as I may have to remove the ABS.

Recent Topics