Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DashCam equivalent.  (Read 317 times)

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
DashCam equivalent.
« on: August 11, 2017, 12:15:55 PM »
Like many others these days we have a DashCam fitted in our car and it recently proved invaluable in a minor accident when the other driver failed to stop. I wish for a similar arrangement on the bike. I do not want a helmet camera but a unit that can be attached permanently to the bike run on a "loop" system and be powered from the bike and activated, deactivated when the ignition is switched on/off. Started looking this morning and it's a nightmare. If anyone has a similar set I would dearly like to hear from them. Thanks.

Geoff.
Geoff.

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
Re: DashCam equivalent.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 04:40:01 PM »
I have never used a dashcam, but don't they just plug into a 12v plug? So you could hook one up to an OP plug and mount it to your wind screen.
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
That is indeed the case. It is the choice of camera that I am struggling with.

Geoff.
Geoff.

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Geel
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
Yep, I got one!
I experimented with an action cam put in loop mode (Ricoh WgM1) but had battery problems amongst others...
Now I use a cheap Blacksys BH-300 that I modified a bit.
Stuck it to the dash behind the screen and taped everything shut to prevent rain coming in (not really waterproof cam).
Don't expect high resolution video. To see the film, you have to take the micro sd card to a computer and view the files with a special tool, delivered with the cam.
The micro sd card is also formatted in a special format so you can't do anything else with it, besides stick it in the cam.
It is connected to a switched power outlet (12V) and easily taken off and on the dash to prevent theft.
Works fine for me, but I only use it in case of a despute or an accident or so... certainely not to stream it to youtube or the like...
There is only one glitch: the camera often thinks there is an incident (because of the vibrations of the bike) en saves that recording on sd card.
I have to reformat the card every two weeks or so, but I can live with that...
Good luck with the search...
Ed.

... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 04:57:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by macamxthe1st >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
That is indeed the case. It is the choice of camera that I am struggling with.

Geoff.

Most of the helmet cams have that feature. I have the Gitup Git2 and it has a dash cam function, I've never used it though, but it can be permanently powered and erases the footage each time you restart the engine. You can mount it in its waterproof case on the bike instead of a helmet.
>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline dnu69

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Federicton
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 02:10:34 AM »
I use a Mobius on the rear and Mobius Mini on the front.  Both set up in loop mode, come on when I start the bike and shut off 20 minutes after I shut the bike off.  The Mini is a great camera.  The only down side is rain.  The back one is mostly protected because of where it I mounted, the front one I just put a bag over it or take it off.  Tend to avoid the rain most of the time anyway.

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by dnu69 >>>> link hidden <<<<
I use a Mobius on the rear and Mobius Mini on the front.  Both set up in loop mode, come on when I start the bike and shut off 20 minutes after I shut the bike off.  The Mini is a great camera.  The only down side is rain.  The back one is mostly protected because of where it I mounted, the front one I just put a bag over it or take it off.  Tend to avoid the rain most of the time anyway.

I also have a Mobius. Great very small camera and good footage once you mess around with the software settings. You can get a waterproof case.
>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage