Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear Indicator (v cheap) - has anyone tried it?  (Read 649 times)

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA-G
  • City / Town: Hexham
Gear Indicator (v cheap) - has anyone tried it?
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:48:42 AM »
Hi - I just spotted this very cheap gear indicator and wondered if anyone on the forum has tried it?

>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
Re: Gear Indicator (v cheap) - has anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »
I bought one years ago, out of curiosity, but it came with no instructions, diagrams or any clues as to how to connect it, it still reposes on the bench in the shed. I subsequently fitted the magnetic sensor type, which was a bit fiddly to fit, and these days, there are plug and play ones for very little cost, and seem to work ok. Go for one of those
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline left22

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 05:49:38 PM »
I found one on amazon.ca for $60 Canadian
Works great and the instillation straight forward. 

Waterproof Motorcycle Gear Indicator LED Display Plug & play for Honda (Recent year model, Red)
>>>> link hidden <<<<
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:51:26 PM by left22 »

Online kurth83

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: San Jose
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:44:36 PM »
Sorry if this is a bit late, I use the Healtech GiPro gear indicator, it came with a wiring harness that fit the bike, much easier that manually wiring it in.  I think it uses the diagnostic connector.

It had to be trained, but that is easy if you bought the center stand.  I put some weight on the front to keep the rear tire off the ground, and carefully avoided the rear wheel spinning at 30+ mph, don't let pets or kids anywhere near the bike when doing that.  Having a closed garage came in handy I guess.

I had to try two, the first one the color was weak (red), second one was better (green I think), but it still is a bit weak in direct sunlight, so I made a small cowl for it with sticky tape and now it is visible at all times.  A back lighted LCD would have been better, my only complaint really.

Healtech makes some great products and has been around for a while.  Probably their most well known is the SpeedoHealer, that corrects the speedometer if you change the gearing, yes I have one of those too.  It is also a plug-n-play install (although the plug was very hard to get to).

Online mark444

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 White CB500X
  • City / Town: Burpinham, Bama
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:28:43 PM »
The Ebay plug-n-play version I bought last year (or in 2015) was around $35 shipped to the USA......I think from Hong Kong. works great,easy to intall.......and "yes" I added a custom little "hood" to mine too.
There have been numerous posts in the past for the different model indicators......
Currently: 2014 CB500X, 2008 WeeStrom, (2) 1996 GPZ1100, (2) ZX11's, 1994 CBR1000F, 1972 Honda CB750, & 1979 CSR650 Kawi.

Recent Topics