Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help with Bark Buster install with Givi Windscreen  (Read 1012 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Help with Bark Buster install with Givi Windscreen
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »
Following on from above, I dug out a photo of the Barkbusters on the OEM bars - same orientation:

>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

But the clamps have to be further down the bars with the original holes in the backbone, which pushes out the end of the backbone a little... whereas you can pull them in a touch closer once you re-drill the holes 20mm inboard as I did on the post above.

Jx

Offline dpwell

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Vancouver BC
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 05:55:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo >>>> link hidden <<<<
you might find you can achieve the necessary clearance by doing what I did with my bike - that is drilling a new pair of holes in the Barkbuster backbone 20mm inboard of the originals, which will help keep the backbone level and tuck them in closer to the bars, giving you vital mm.

How big of a deal is it if the bark busters do hit the windscreen by a few mm. anyway? How often do we go to full lock? I'm just a street rider and have yet to venture off road but I'm not sure I've ever been to full lock.

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by dpwell >>>> link hidden <<<<
How big of a deal is it if the bark busters do hit the windscreen by a few mm. anyway? How often do we go to full lock? I'm just a street rider and have yet to venture off road but I'm not sure I've ever been to full lock.

Hi dpwell - in practice, not much as you suggest - however, some people would prefer things to be 'right', and in the case of actually dropping your bike on the ground (where the bars could be forced to the full lock position), then there is a chance the screen could be damaged/cracked... That said, in the case of the CB where the screen is mounted with rubber riv-nuts, the screen itself is pretty tough, and is more likely to pop out of it's mounts than actually crack I would imagine.

The main reason for drilling the holes 20mm inboard on the backbones is so that they are more horizontal - so the shields can protect both your knuckles and the levers more fully, especially if you like your levers angled downwards slightly. The extra clearance on the screen is just a useful by-product of this...

>>>> link hidden <<<<

Jx

Offline dpwell

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 06:50:50 PM »
Hi dpwell - in practice, not much as you suggest - however, some people would prefer things to be 'right', and in the case of actually dropping your bike on the ground (where the bars could be forced to the full lock position), then there is a chance the screen could be damaged/cracked... That said, in the case of the CB where the screen is mounted with rubber riv-nuts, the screen itself is pretty tough, and is more likely to pop out of it's mounts than actually crack I would imagine.

I think I'm going to buy the RR spacer kit - do you happen to know if these will be effective with the handlebars at stock height, or are they designed to work with the raised level 2 and 3 kit setup?

The main reason for drilling the holes 20mm inboard on the backbones is so that they are more horizontal - so the shields can protect both your knuckles and the levers more fully, especially if you like your levers angled downwards slightly. The extra clearance on the screen is just a useful by-product of this...

If drilling the holes allows the backbones to be more horizontal, where are they if you don't drill the holes? Above horizontal or below?

Also, is that a stock windscreen in your photo?
Thanks!

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 08:43:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by dpwell >>>> link hidden <<<<
I think I'm going to buy the RR spacer kit - do you happen to know if these will be effective with the handlebars at stock height, or are they designed to work with the raised level 2 and 3 kit setup?

If drilling the holes allows the backbones to be more horizontal, where are they if you don't drill the holes? Above horizontal or below?

Also, is that a stock windscreen in your photo?
Thanks!

Hi dpwell - the handlebars themselves are not raised with the LEVEL 2 suspension kit - basically if you order the LEVEL 2 kit with the triple clamp for the OEM bars, they remain at the same height as standard (it's only when you fit fat-bars which are a little taller overall, that you increase the hight of the bars, and that is only by around +1/4" anyway...)

As I mentioned previously - because of the shape of the CB windscreen, if you mount it in the upper position then the Barkbusters are likely to touch regardless (unless you fit the RR spacers), but in the lower position the screen is scalloped so that the bars can turn the full amount.

Depending on the angle you like your bars, you may find the Barkbusters droop down slightly towards the outside end (ie. the backbone/clamp assembly is higher towards the centre of the bike) - drilling the hole 20mm inboard effectively drops the inner end of the Barkbuster backbone when you clamp it up, so it is more horizontal.

My screen is the official Honda Accessory Tall/Touring screen - which has the same lower profile as the stock 2013-15 screen, but is 4 inches taller at the top.

The later model bikes (2016-on) have a taller screen as standard which is a slightly different shape, but the profile around the top of the headlight/where the bars turn on full lock is broadly similar, so the same issue remains.

Hope that clarifies things!

Jenny x

Offline dpwell

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 01:01:41 AM »

My screen is the official Honda Accessory Tall/Touring screen - which has the same lower profile as the stock 2013-15 screen, but is 4 inches taller at the top.

The later model bikes (2016-on) have a taller screen as standard which is a slightly different shape, but the profile around the top of the headlight/where the bars turn on full lock is broadly similar, so the same issue remains.

Hi JMo

I just got a Givi tall screen. I will compare dimensions and maybe consider returning it and getting the RR spacers and the honda tall screen instead. Thanks for all your helpful info!

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage