Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 3 Wire LED dimmer question  (Read 200 times)

Offline Coterie

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
3 Wire LED dimmer question
« on: September 06, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
Hello all,

A quick question if I may.

I am about to wire a pair of VisionX Solstice Solo Prime spots through a Skene IQ-275 and have a question over the wiring diagram.

It all makes sense, kind of, and I plan on using the front Option Plug to provide the Skene with all the power inputs it requires and wiring the lights through my Fuzeblock FZ-1.

So my question revolves around the 1K ohm 1/8 watt resistor.

I am no electrical engineer and really need an idiots guide to what considerations I need to take into account with regard weatherproofing/heat output etc etc.

The googling I have done shows plenty of heatsink wrapped large capacity resistors for use with turn signals but very little about the use of small carbon film resistors in this sort of situation.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Guy

Offline kurth83

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: San Jose
Re: 3 Wire LED dimmer question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:24:29 PM »
At 12v that 1k-ohm resistor will dissipate a maximum of 12 ma, or about .14 w.  Which is slightly over the 1/8 w rating.

No idea why that resistor is there, maybe to provide a bit of power to the yellow wires for a sensor.

You could make it a 1w resistor if you want to be conservative.  But nothing bigger than that is needed.

I am a hobbyist where it comes to electronics, had a few courses in circuit theory in college, so I know more than ohm's law at any rate, but I'm no EE.

The reason the resistors are big for turn signals is likely they are LED turn signals that don't draw enough power so the signals don't work right - flash too fast or not at all - as the flasher is often dependent on the current draw to work correctly and they are tuned for incandescent bulbs that draw a lot more power than LEDs.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:02:57 PM by kurth83 »

Recent Topics