Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda Oz stonewalling 500 Twin Valves Issue (CB500X, CB500F, CBR500R)  (Read 11937 times)

Offline Doug5k

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Red CB500XA 2014
  • City / Town: Brisbane
Re: Honda Oz stonewalling 500 Twin Valves Issue (CB500X, CB500F, CBR500R)
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 12:21:46 PM »
I took my 2014 CB500X into the local dealer for its 1000km service today. As noted previously the dealer advised that Honda Australia had informed them that the valve clearance check wasn't required on 2014 bikes. Evidently Honda was satisfied that the quality of the engine assembly and its adjustment at the new Thailand factory was up to standard. The dealer workshop manager stated that they hadn't found any 2013 models with valve clearances out of spec.

Despite that I got them to check my bike valve clearances as part of the service. They were all in spec. Wasted money? Probably, but at least I know it's Ok. Total service cost $325.

Interesting point - the workshop manager said Honda required the same 1000km valve clearance check on the new CB250 which also came from a new manufacturing plant. Apparently it's the way Honda gains assurance of the quality control of the plant.  Seems reasonable. There is no better test than the "real world" with "real people". It's impossible to replicate that in a test environment.

So a vote of confidence from me in Honda's approach.  :152:
2014 CB500x red, tire hugger, radiator guard, Bikevis DRLs, centre stand, fender extender, Puig screen, Oggy Knobbs, GIpro gear indicator, Speedohealer, Morimoto bi-xenon projector.

Offline tizzy23

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »
If they were just testing their quality I wonder why they were footing us with the bill.

Offline 13.16.20

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: S-o-T
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »
On a manufacturer side, I make air rifles, and there's nothing worse than a Work shed tinker saying how and when something should be done. Don't get me wrong, I love to tinker but when it comes to the core of the product i.e. the engine or the valve of the rifle it should be left to the engineers (it gives us something to do  :001: and on a serious note we know what we're doing. If the manufacture has said that it should be done at a specific interval then follow that advice, there's a warranty for when things go wrong.

13.16.20  :030:
No such thing as bad biking weather. Just a bad choice of clothing and attitude.

Offline PhilipMarc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: New York City
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 04:25:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by tizzy23 [+]
If they were just testing their quality I wonder why they were footing us with the bill.

I think they handed us the bill because after some very complex calculations (money - money = less money), they determined it was in their best interest to have someone else pay for it!  :745: That, and as Doug5K mentioned, there is no substitute for "real world" tests. No matter how fancy your machine is, you can't truly simulate 600 miles of God knows what kind of riding we're doing out here! Some days I ride it like a 50cc Vespa, and others I ride it like a borrowed horse.  :034:

That said, I took it in for the first inspection at 1,800 miles, and it was fit as a fiddle.
Philip Marc

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage