Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can't get clutch plates off to take off glaze  (Read 3428 times)

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Can't get clutch plates off to take off glaze
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 11:21:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by scharfg [+]
Well in my defense......

I've used Shell Rotella diesel 15W40 oil in my bikes for over 15 years no problem.  Then I toasted my CB clutch trying to get over the slide scree rocks.

In conversation with Jenny Morgan (Rally Raid CBx tester) on ADV Rider about the slipping clutch issue (she had over 25K miles on her CB which was ridden WAY harder than mine with no issues), she suggested I make sure to use the correct oil weight (10W30).  So being a good soldier and went to the local oil store and found some 10W30 semi synthetic, sweet.  I checked the proper usage code circle on the back to make sure it was not "energy conserving" (ie: no moly to screw up the wet clutch).  All was good so I took it home and put in both my bikes for the winter storage stage of live in northern Canada.

Well when my clutch started to slip again after one day of ADV riding I had another look at the bottle and on the front in the product description it said "improves fuel economy" URG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :230: :157: :084: :110:

So I changed the oil 3x in both bikes but the clutches still slipped given the friction plates had been "soaking in it" all winter.

Now I have new clutch plates in both bikes and I'm using dedicated motorcycle oil (so much for saving a few $ each oil change, if I knew then what I know now I'd happily spend the extra $15/oil change!).

See I told ya I was a bonna fide NEWB.....

Good luck eh.

:460:

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Re: Can't get clutch plates off to take off glaze
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 12:49:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by scharfg [+]
Well in my defense......

I've used Shell Rotella diesel 15W40 oil in my bikes for over 15 years no problem.  Then I toasted my CB clutch trying to get over the slide scree rocks.

In conversation with Jenny Morgan (Rally Raid CBx tester) on ADV Rider about the slipping clutch issue (she had over 25K miles on her CB which was ridden WAY harder than mine with no issues), she suggested I make sure to use the correct oil weight (10W30).  So being a good soldier and went to the local oil store and found some 10W30 semi synthetic, sweet.  I checked the proper usage code circle on the back to make sure it was not "energy conserving" (ie: no moly to screw up the wet clutch).  All was good so I took it home and put in both my bikes for the winter storage stage of live in northern Canada.

Well when my clutch started to slip again after one day of ADV riding I had another look at the bottle and on the front in the product description it said "improves fuel economy" URG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :230: :157: :084: :110:

So I changed the oil 3x in both bikes but the clutches still slipped given the friction plates had been "soaking in it" all winter.

Now I have new clutch plates in both bikes and I'm using dedicated motorcycle oil (so much for saving a few $ each oil change, if I knew then what I know now I'd happily spend the extra $15/oil change!).

See I told ya I was a bonna fide NEWB.....

Good luck eh.
:460:
Imagine that!  Use what the Honda engineers spec out in the owners manual and the bike works as designed.  Those engineers actually know what they are doing.  It may cost a little more each oil change, but the alternative costs a lot more in money, time and frustration.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage