Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lands end to John o'groats  (Read 1132 times)

Online catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Lands end to John o'groats
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 02:01:48 PM »
Brilliant - some inspiring photos you have shared - thank you  :063:

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
Never, EVER, underestimate the Scottish midge. I stopped for 10 mins by Loch Lomond one days. "I'm OK in full biking gear" I said to myself. That night I did a really good impression of The Elephant Man.

Given the choice I'd go for swimming naked with sharks with pork chops tied to my old man.
Brian.

Offline Mel111

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB5X 15 ABS RRS1
  • City / Town: Somerset Levels
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 04:01:43 PM »
Your old man is lucky to be given pork chops, mine gets :087: nothing!!

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »
My honest opinion, sorry not sorry:

With 7/8 days to do London > LE > JOG > London, it sounds more like an ordeal than an adventure. I'd rather do SW & Wales over a week, and take a separate week to do Scotland. If there's one thing I've learned from touring, it's to enjoy the journey and not get stuck chasing the mileage.

Even if you were to punch it up the M5/M6 from Cornwall to Glasgow, you're still already looking at 3 big days on the motorway of your 8 day trip. I'd rather do a there & back to Edinburgh, do the NC500 and explore the west coast. Or spend a week bimbling around Dorset / Devon / Cornwall / Somerset / Wales / Cotswolds. There's a huge amount to see in both corners of our fair isle, and it seems to me like a big ask to do justice to both in a week!
Hawk

Offline Mel111

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB5X 15 ABS RRS1
  • City / Town: Somerset Levels
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 05:52:55 PM »
Well said that man  :046:

Offline Northman

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kinlochleven
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 07:32:40 PM »
Whatever road trip you do it's always yours to enjoy,your bike ,your timeframe , your budget. No matter where we go or how long we take we never see it all.
Has anybody seen " garbage run 2017" on YouTube? ,that's a different way of getting from bottom to top or top to bottom which ever way
You prefer ,there's a lot of places to see just never enough time.

Offline Other mike

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x Husky 350
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
Never, EVER, underestimate the Scottish midge. I stopped for 10 mins by Loch Lomond one days. "I'm OK in full biking gear" I said to myself. That night I did a really good impression of The Elephant Man.

Given the choice I'd go for swimming naked with sharks with pork chops tied to my old man.

To be honest the welsh midge is very similar. I thought I was going to scratch myself to death!

Offline Other mike

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x Husky 350
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 11:30:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by goldfever [+]
My honest opinion, sorry not sorry:

With 7/8 days to do London > LE > JOG > London, it sounds more like an ordeal than an adventure. I'd rather do SW & Wales over a week, and take a separate week to do Scotland. If there's one thing I've learned from touring, it's to enjoy the journey and not get stuck chasing the mileage.

Even if you were to punch it up the M5/M6 from Cornwall to Glasgow, you're still already looking at 3 big days on the motorway of your 8 day trip. I'd rather do a there & back to Edinburgh, do the NC500 and explore the west coast. Or spend a week bimbling around Dorset / Devon / Cornwall / Somerset / Wales / Cotswolds. There's a huge amount to see in both corners of our fair isle, and it seems to me like a big ask to do justice to both in a week!
Thank you, Wise words. I was aware of the challenge involved with the milage and part of this was can this be done with a small (ish) bike, packed lightly, knowing that there was quite a distance to travel.
I have done alot in Wales already. Most of South and Midwales done off road on my enduro bike, so not looking for that sort of a ride.
I feel unsure now but was thinking 300 miles a day may be bit too much. Most of my riding is full off road where 100 miles can be a very long day, with speed averages very low and crashing averages very high.....
Perhaps east to west rather than north to south instead?

Offline oldmopars

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Selah Wa
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 01:06:28 AM »
I can understand wanting to do a trip like that slowly. However, as an American visiting Manchester for work, I had a weekend and I wanted to visit as much of England/Scotland/Wales as I could. I had a rental car (could not bring my bike) Mazda 6 and the bedding from my hotel room.
I left on Friday and went to the Lake District, had dinner then shot up to Carlisle to see the castle then over to Hadrian's Wall where I slept for the night. The next day I hit the road, many B roads and worse on my way to John O Groats. I stopped every time I saw a sign for a castle. Went to Edinburgh, stopped into a little hobby shop, went to the cemetery and a few other places, then hit the road again. Again I headed for every castle I could find and back road on the map. Up and over the Scotish Highlands, what a place! Then to JOG. I had no idea it was so far north. I was sleeping in the car and I had to put all my cloths in the windows to block the sun, it never went down! Just like Alaska, been there too.
Next morning I headed back another way down by Loch Ness, Glasgow etc. Made my way to Wales. I don't know the town I tried to stop in, but it was crazy busy and I could not find a place to park, so I headed home (hotel).
I had the rental car for 2 weeks, had to work the next weekend and turned it in with 1700 miles on it. Shocked the rental guy.
I wish I could have taken more time, but because I don't live there and had a limited time and a long list of things to see, I packed it in a short time. Wish I could do it again. Fun place to visit and wish I could do that trip again on my CB. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Selah Wa.
2015 CB500X, RR L2

Recent Topics