Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain kit lifespan  (Read 11942 times)

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chain kit lifespan
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »
I cleaned and lubed my chain after every second ride (800 to 1,000 kilometers) using Motul Cleaner and Chain Lube. After spending an afternoon cleaning the front sprocket area, I switched to Castrol chain lube. My chain lasted 25,000 kilometers, and I seldom needed to adjust it. When I replaced the chain the sprockets looked good, but I replaced them anyway.

On my new bike I got tired of black tar-like chain lube fling on the back rim and spokes. So I now use Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. No more messy chain fling and the chain stays cleaner. I still use Motul Chain Cleaner on the chain and any oil change droplets on the garage floor.

Offline theMerryone

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 2017
  • City / Town: Belper
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 07:16:20 AM »
Hi all,
My "X" was bought new last year and after 4000 miles it is nearly a year old. The bike is used daily, commuting to work with the odd long trip undertaken when required.  The "X" is in entirely standard form with the exception of the addition of a Top box and Knuckle Guards.

I've not needed to adjust the chain yet as the slack is still comfortably within the tolerances specified by Honda. Chain tension is even all the way round, with no tight spots.

I don't use any fancy aerosol Chain lube but 80w -90 Gear Oil which I apply with a toothbrush. Oil fling is minimal, and the chain still looks very clean.   This has been done once per week, irrespective of mileage, twice weekly during wet and Winter months as our roads are often gritted.

I'm certainly intrigued to see how long the chain and sprokets will last.  Only time will tell......

:))
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:19:15 AM by theMerryone »

Online Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 09:47:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by theMerryone [+]
Hi all,
My "X" was bought new last year and after 4000 miles it is nearly a year old. The bike is used daily, commuting to work with the odd long trip undertaken when required.  The "X" is in entirely standard form with the exception of the addition of a Top box and Knuckle Guards.

I've not needed to adjust the chain yet as the slack is still comfortably within the tolerances specified by Honda. Chain tension is even all the way round, with no tight spots.

I don't use any fancy aerosol Chain lube but 80w -90 Gear Oil which I apply with a toothbrush. Oil fling is minimal, and the chain still looks very clean.   This has been done once per week, irrespective of mileage, twice weekly during wet and Winter months as our roads are often gritted.

I'm certainly intrigued to see how long the chain and sprokets will last.  Only time will tell......

:))

+1, that's what I use on my chain,80-90 gear oil, never had a problem.

superplasmer

Offline Mark65

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »
120w gear oil, Westway Lubes on Fleabay, about 8 a litre, sticks like honey in the winter.
YBR125,CG125,CR300RA (deaded,chocolate crank), CB500F

Offline Pigeonherd

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Quincy, CA
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 07:10:01 PM »
OEM chain removed at 11,7xx miles and replaced with RK MAX X-ring in black by local shop. So far (day 2) the ride is SO MUCH NICER. Not sure about nicer than new stock, but definitely nicer than it was. Will report back if this changes. :)

Offline reavsie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Dartford
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 06:08:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by reavsie [+]
Scottoiler and regular cleaning:

OEM chain so far on 34,700 miles and still in the green on the wear marks.

Replaced the chain & sprockets today at 37,625.

Only ever had to adjust it once. Sprockets starting to wear and had a couple of stiff links I'd been keeping an eye on for a while.

I'm sure it would have lasted till 40,000 but needed a rear tyre as well, so made sense to do both at the same time to reduce labour charges.

Scottoiler has paid for itself with the extended mileage, I've never had a chain last beyond 12 - 16k before.

Offline faded_Glory

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2014
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 11:37:28 AM »
I had to replace the OEM chain at 10,000 miles, it was totally shot. I installed a Tutoro chain oiler but can't get it to work properly, so instead I use spray lube fairly regularly. I can't be bothered with cleaning the chain.

I replaced it with an aftermarket DID chain and am now on 16,000 miles. The plan is to do a big summer trip of at least 5000 miles. I'm trying to decide if I want to change the chain before that or wait and see how it goes. From the sound of you guys I should be ok with this replacement chain.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:41:44 AM by faded_Glory »

Offline Mark65

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »
I was lucky enough to grab a new OEM Honda front and rear sprocket off Fleabay for 20 last night, might not need it for another year or so but why not. My chain is still at the start of the green zone for wear with 5500 miles on it.
YBR125,CG125,CR300RA (deaded,chocolate crank), CB500F

Offline funky

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Belgrade
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »
Im now at 14.000km and my chain has about 4-5 stiff links, dont know what to do.
Been to the dealer, the mechanic told me that he can try to change it under warranty (still have it), but he has to ask his boss, because the chain is treated by the rules of Honda as a part that has to be replaced in some time and because of that they can reject my warranty for that kind of parts.
Wanted to ask, is it better to change it for OEM O-ring chain or for X-ring chain (D.I.D)?
And yes, mine is near the red line so it will need replacement soon  :006:

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 08:02:27 PM »
Funky, as you said the chain is due replacement (Stretched to the red indicator) I think it is unlikely you'll get it replaced under warranty.
However there is no harm in trying. Worst case is that you'll have to buy a new chain.

I bought a "JT" X ring chain for my YBR and I've been impressed with how little I've had to adjust it ( 3 times in a year\5000 miles).
The standard DID chain that came with the bike needed adjusting every 3 weeks.
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extender. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage