Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain kit lifespan  (Read 13964 times)

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Chain kit lifespan
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2018, 10:07:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by funky [+]
Yes, he told me he will ask and if the answer is NO, then I will replace it definetly :)

I'm just fascinated that the chain lasts so little miles/kilometers. Friend told me that he changed chain on 600RR when the bike had 37.000 km, thats more than double than my chain. He rides definitely more agressive than me  :008:

But I read this thread and noticed that many people changed their OEM chain before 15.000km. So I figured that thats the max life for this chain...
Next one will be definitely X ring, maybe there is difference, maybe not, will find out :D

I didn't use any chain oilers, maybe that was the problem, but i lubricated the chain every 300-400km. I bought Cobra Nemo 2 chain oiler a few days ago, maybe the next chain will last longer with chain oiler, definitely will be simpler for me  :001:

Can I use some method to loosen the stiff links on my chain? And can the stiff links damage anything else, is it safe to drive with them until I replace my chain?

Hi Funky

Can you tell me where you mounted your nemo, and how you routed the tube?

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2018, 11:21:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
Hi Funky

Can you tell me where you mounted your nemo, and how you routed the tube?

here's a little advertized alternative made in the UK...

http://www.pdoiler.co.uk/

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
here's a little advertized alternative made in the UK...

http://www.pdoiler.co.uk/

That's another overpriced one. The Nemo is available on eBay and the seller will accept offers. I got one for much less than the pdoiler.

Offline Pocketpete

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2017
  • City / Town: Gee Cross
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
The chains fall into 2 groups the ones that last 7500-10000miles regardless of how well you look after it and those that last 20k+ miles. Don't know why but my replacement DID chain seems to be lasting forever. Hardly had to adjust it in 5000miles.  I look after them in exactly the same way. My riding style hasn't changed. My daily commute is the same.

Strikes me that honda fitted crap steel ones to cut down on costs knowing that it's a service part and the customer can't claim on warranty.

Offline Joey1347

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »
Indeed, it seems so !

As far as I'm concerned, my stock chain kit was changed after 20 500 Kms (12 732 Miles) but was really worn out. Even though the chain kit was regularly (every ~500kms) cleaned and lubed.  :114:

We shall see how long the new one lasts.
Red 2017 CB500X - ~15000 Kms (9300 miles)
+ SH46

Offline enterprise-psi

• CB500X Member
  • A majestic sight we must be
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2016
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2018, 10:11:54 AM »
My stock chain lasted ~15.000 but to be fair i only oiled it 2 or three times .

I installed a tutoro oiler on the new DID one, after ~ 25000km its still brand new, with zero adjustments, and zero interventions from me. I am very satisfied.

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »
Had a PD oiler on my VFR ,worked well but a bit to big for the CBS,I find its better to just rub an rag with oil on it over the chain, works well and will not cover the rear tire with oil.

Superplasma.

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by enterprise-psi [+]
I installed a tutoro oiler on the new DID one, after ~ 25000km its still brand new, with zero adjustments, and zero interventions from me. I am very satisfied.

Sounds like a chain oiler could be the way to go for ease of 'non' maintainance - but 100 could buy a chain kit or quite a few tunes of chain lube . . . . which way to go?

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2018, 11:27:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Superplasma [+]
Had a PD oiler on my VFR ,worked well but a bit to big for the CBS,I find its better to just rub an rag with oil on it over the chain, works well and will not cover the rear tire with oil.

Superplasma.

I've tried a number of chain lubes and techniques. I found if I have the time I'll hold a piece of cardboard or something to shield the wheel.

Love the idea of an oiler but all of the bikes I've seen with them look like hell after some time. Oil fling and grime buildup everywhere.

Offline enterprise-psi

• CB500X Member
  • A majestic sight we must be
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2016
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2018, 01:48:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by catstevecam [+]
Sounds like a chain oiler could be the way to go for ease of 'non' maintainance - but 100 could buy a chain kit or quite a few tunes of chain lube . . . . which way to go?

Got some pics here.

To be honest we did a mass order, a while ago, about 30 people , from a Greek forum ADVride.gr,   and we got a great deal, it costed me around 60 euros (or 52.5 or 69.4 $ )
Perhaps the same can be done here ?

So my chain has ~25000 km , and is in great condition, if it remains like this on the next ~15000 km , then i guess it's worth the purchase.
But even if it doesn't,  im ok with not spraying every 500km and cleaning every 1000. Also all those chain lubes are a pain removing them when cleaning, whereas the mineral oil of tutoro is very easy to clean.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:50:40 PM by enterprise-psi »

Recent Topics