Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 16000 Mile Valve Check Service  (Read 7079 times)

Offline LookingHard

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 honda CB500X
Re: 16000 Mile Valve Check Service
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »

Guys,

First of all I am currently a bike-less lurker so take what I say with a grain of salt...........

One person has already mentioned it might impact the warranty if this is not done at a dealership.  If they muck
something up you at least have receipts proving the work was done at an authorized facility.

Once when I took my last bike to the shop it came back with a cracked fairing. The shop claimed it came to the shop that way and I could not disprove it. After that, when it went to the shop any plastic I could remove was removed. Not sure how much needs to be removed on the 500X but if it were my bike I would consider it.

Another thing to consider, especially since it is winter here in the northern hemisphere, is asking riders nearby if they want
help doing chores on their bikes.  If they are to the point of doing valves, bearings, tire changes or anything else you could get a look at how much effort it takes and whether or not you have the tools to tackle the job.  You could also be meeting someone you might want to ride with in the future.

Good luck,
LookingHard

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2017, 12:21:27 AM »
In the US you can do your own routine maintenance or have an independent mechanic do it as long as it is documented with parts and labor receipts along with bike mileage and date.  No manufacturer can require that maintenance be done by a certified service center in the US.  As for warranty work to replace or correct defective items, they can and normally do require it be done by a certified service center.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2017, 04:53:59 AM »
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

What is discussed is the Magnuson-Moss Act, which says that repairs do not have to be done at the dealership.  I take photos and have parts receipts, but have never made a warranty claim.  However, I did have a relay replaced under the recall situation on my CB500X.

John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
It can't hurt and it will provide some peace of mind.

I'm trying to squirt some ACF50 into those long suffering connectors, I doubt it will get there so you may have to do it yourself.
Brian.

Offline Davidka43

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda 500 x
  • City / Town: Korat, Thailand
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2018, 04:32:56 AM »
I am going to do my 24,000 valve adjustment and I just bought my 500x used a month ago.
Do I need to purchase a new gasket for the valve cover??

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2018, 04:51:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Davidka43 [+]
I am going to do my 24,000 valve adjustment and I just bought my 500x used a month ago.
Do I need to purchase a new gasket for the valve cover??
Not if you are careful.  You will need a little bit of gasket sealant to get the corners to stay put when reassembling valve cover.  The shop manuals and the write-ups here make it pretty easy.  Figuring out the fasteners is often the worst part, the first time through.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb500x
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2018, 10:51:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by neddog [+]
Hi All, I have my X for over three years from new. It’s perfect for what I want and I intend to keep it however the 16000 mile service is coming up rapidly and the dreaded valve check. The Honda dealer has quoted me a price of nearly five hundred pounds to check the valves, change brake fluid, new air filter and plugs as well as changing the engine oil although I only changed the oil 900 miles ago. I know it’s an extensive job checking the valves but it seems a bit steep especially ironic if the valves didn’t need adjusting. Just wondering if any UK riders have had the 16,000 miles service valve check and how much it cost you?? (if you used a dealer/garage)  What is the recommended mileage for changing the plugs and brake fluid? Money is a bit short at the moment so it will probably be more like 18000 miles when I get the work done.

i paid 950 for my 16,000mile service, it hurt because i needed new tyres as well as replacement chain and sprockets at the same time. this makes the 450/500 for the service with valve clearances done by chiswick honda in london.

I had a 2013 bike and the valve clearances were out at both the 600 and 16,000 miles. not enough to hear them out but enough that i needed several new shims on both occasions.

The fact that you are a bit short of cash at the moment and want to keep the bike, means the work will need to be done to maintain it long term but from what you wrote it doesn't sound like waiting 2000 miles more will kill the bike.

in regards to the oil change, if your oil and oil filter were changed recently, then it wont need doing again yet so this can be deducted from the cost of the service. As long as you tell the dealer that you don't want the oil and filter changed they you will save money there.

In regards to the break fluid, this is very cheap and easy to do yourself by reverse bleeding the brake fluid reservoir and using g clamps to push back pistons if needed.

How to reverse bleed the brake fluid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=198&v=lBk00597EyE

The colour of your brake fluid will be a good indication if it needs replacing as well as the amount left in the reservoir.

Brown, dark, dirty looking is old and needs replacing.
http://www.carservicecity.net/images/brakefluids.jpg

also if water/condensation has got into the fluid reservoir it will heat up and boil and turn the fluid a creamy colour as seen the bottom of this image. time to replace it.
http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/diagnosing-flood-damaged-vehicles/

also if its below the minimum level this is time to replace/top up.

if you need new brake pads (which is possible given the mileage) this would be an ideal time to replace the brake fluid yourself. a bottle costs probably 5-10 and will be enough for 2 full changes of fluid before it goes bad.

depending where you are in the country i don't mind helping you with oil and filter change and reverse bleeding the brake reservoir and changing brake pads if needed, it will cost you a few cups of tea. I cant do the valve clearances and spark plug or air filter if from memory there are all in the same place (i forgot where the air filter is, some bikes are super easy, others a pain to get to)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:57:17 AM by Dukie »
Sold:  '13 Rally Raid lvl 3.
own:  '17  Rally Raid lvl 1

Offline uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2018, 11:24:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dukie [+]
I cant do the valve clearances and spark plug or air filter if from memory there are all in the same place (i forgot where the air filter is, some bikes are super easy, others a pain to get to)

The air filter is quite straightforward (less bother than the brakes). From memory, you have to remove the battery to get to it, but that's not too fiddly. The filter itself is secured by four screws - two top and two bottom. Changing the air filter yourself will at least halve the part cost rather than having the dealer do it (well, at least in my experience). Same thing with the rest of the stuff you mentioned... I know that the dealers have to make a living but they don't seem ashamed of gouging clients when they get the chance (hope I don't sound too bitter)!

I agree about the valves and spark plugs - I'll bite the bullet and give those them a go one day, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a bit intimidated by that job.

Offline uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2018, 11:32:35 AM »
Neddog, I forgot to mention: you should change the spark plugs when you do the valve check. Aside from anything else, the biggest cost in those jobs is labour due to the time involved in actually getting to the engine (taking the fairings off is a big job, I'm told). New plugs are not expensive. Best to do both tasks at the same time.

Oh, and in case someone tries to swindle you, the oil does not need to be drained to check the valves. The dealer will need the bike for the day though, as the engine has to be cool when checking the valve clearances so the bike will need to rest for a while before they can do the job.

Offline circuitjc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 CB500XAH ABS
  • City / Town: Sarnia
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2018, 01:44:16 PM »
As someone who has worked on all sizes and types of engines over decades for myself and friends/family I will add my $0.02. The first thing I bought after my CB500X was a $30 CND Haynes manual (as the official shop manual is out of stock everywhere unless I want a photocopy/PDF).

Most of this boils down to this: Do what you are comfortable doing. None of this is overly complicated. That said, not everyone has the skills/knowledge/inclination to do these tasks either.

If you are not comfortable doing the task then that is what shops are for and you pay someone else to do it for you.

- If you want to do it yourself then take your time. Rushing through any job makes for mistakes.
- If you can find someone who is mechanically inclined and good at sharing information then ask them for help.
- Make sure to read through the proceedure in the manual, youtube video, forum thread multiple times before you start so you know what to expect and what tools you need BEFORE you turn any wrench.

I know lots of people who are intimidated by mechanics, electronics, and other engineering. Those people aren't stupid. They just aren't wired the same way as someone who is good at it or at least is willing to take their time to try.
2017 CB500XAH ABS
SW-Motech Crash Bars / Bash Plate / TRAX ADV Panniers / 350 Dry Bag on ALU-RACK, R&G Rad Guard, Honda Heated Grips / Centre Stand, BarkBuster Storms, RAM Handlebar bolt mount w/X-Grip, Custom USB Rapid charger

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage