Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 16000 Mile Valve Check Service  (Read 3318 times)

Offline LookingHard

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: 16000 Mile Valve Check Service
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »

Guys,

First of all I am currently a bike-less lurker so take what I say with a grain of salt...........

One person has already mentioned it might impact the warranty if this is not done at a dealership.  If they muck
something up you at least have receipts proving the work was done at an authorized facility.

Once when I took my last bike to the shop it came back with a cracked fairing. The shop claimed it came to the shop that way and I could not disprove it. After that, when it went to the shop any plastic I could remove was removed. Not sure how much needs to be removed on the 500X but if it were my bike I would consider it.

Another thing to consider, especially since it is winter here in the northern hemisphere, is asking riders nearby if they want
help doing chores on their bikes.  If they are to the point of doing valves, bearings, tire changes or anything else you could get a look at how much effort it takes and whether or not you have the tools to tackle the job.  You could also be meeting someone you might want to ride with in the future.

Good luck,
LookingHard

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2017, 12:21:27 AM »
In the US you can do your own routine maintenance or have an independent mechanic do it as long as it is documented with parts and labor receipts along with bike mileage and date.  No manufacturer can require that maintenance be done by a certified service center in the US.  As for warranty work to replace or correct defective items, they can and normally do require it be done by a certified service center.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2017, 04:53:59 AM »
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

What is discussed is the Magnuson-Moss Act, which says that repairs do not have to be done at the dealership.  I take photos and have parts receipts, but have never made a warranty claim.  However, I did have a relay replaced under the recall situation on my CB500X.

John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder >>>> link hidden <<<<
It can't hurt and it will provide some peace of mind.

I'm trying to squirt some ACF50 into those long suffering connectors, I doubt it will get there so you may have to do it yourself.
Brian.

Recent Topics