Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First service cost?  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
Re: First service cost?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:32:04 PM by Irishrover »

Offline uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 09:00:00 PM »
Irishrover, I've just read those threads, and am pretty unimpressed with the dealer! How did it all turn out?

I'm every so gradually developing my mechanical confidence and hope to one day do major servicing myself. Until then, my bike will go in for each major service, but I'll do the easy jobs myself.

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 11:20:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
Irishrover, I've just read those threads, and am pretty unimpressed with the dealer! How did it all turn out?

I'm every so gradually developing my mechanical confidence and hope to one day do major servicing myself. Until then, my bike will go in for each major service, but I'll do the easy jobs myself.

I would never trust a main dealer again. I had to ride that bike the very next day after collecting it and make a 200 plus mile journey to Ireland. At the back of my mind I kept thinking this is going to go pop. I even took out breakdown recovery for peace of mind.
The next valve check was done at a local independent garage at a fraction of the cost and shims were required. To this day I still think they only changed the plugs and made a bad job of that.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 10:30:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover [+]
Oh No!! Thought I would never hear that name again. I put the 500X in there for it's first valve check. Feckin nightmare it turned out. The story is on here somewhere. I knew his late brother Richard, he would have done anything for you, but Victor, totally different.  :005:

Sorry to open old wounds!!  :430:
The Story So Far.........

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph T100
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 10:44:51 AM »
If Victors mechanical skills were comparable to Sidney's singing then no wonder that you had problems. :745:

Geoff.
Heated grips, gear position indicator, grip puppies, fenda extenda, tank protector, Michelin PR4's with "Tyre seal installed", shaved seat, rack and Givi Blade top box, rear hugger, sidestand plate, center stand, Hawk accessory bar with spotlights, Daneli mini soundbomb, Givi XS319 tanklock bag, loobman oiler, Evotech radiator guard, Fuel Micro Mini minus baffle and a liberal coating of Acf50 oh and a detachable sheepskin seat pad, lovely.

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Sorry to open old wounds!!  :430:

It was going to happen at some point. Water under the bridge now.
I did write a very long and detailed complaint to Honda UK, they responded with a request for the manager of the franchise to call me, to which I refused as I already had words with him. They said they would investigate it further. I was trying to track down this so called faulty spark plug that they were blaming, but neither Devine's nor Honda UK could provide any evidence of it.
They eventually replied a few weeks later stating that the "Devine" franchise had a very good reputation and that no malpractice had been carried out.
My advice would be that you go to an independent garage for that 16000 mile valve check much cheaper in my experience.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 11:49:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover [+]
It was going to happen at some point. Water under the bridge now.
I did write a very long and detailed complaint to Honda UK, they responded with a request for the manager of the franchise to call me, to which I refused as I already had words with him. They said they would investigate it further. I was trying to track down this so called faulty spark plug that they were blaming, but neither Devine's nor Honda UK could provide any evidence of it.
They eventually replied a few weeks later stating that the "Devine" franchise had a very good reputation and that no malpractice had been carried out.
My advice would be that you go to an independent garage for that 16000 mile valve check much cheaper in my experience.

It'll go to a Honda dealer during warranty (whether that's Devine or not I'll have to see!), but outside warranty it'll be me or an independent, and with my low mileage that'll include later valve checks.  I do the same with my car - dealer during warranty then local garage after that..... :016:

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph T100
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 12:19:05 PM »
I think my local dealer charges about 50 per hour. A comparison from different parts of the country would be interesting also a comparison between franchised and independent. As we know that is only part of the story. I personally don't use the nearest dealer, shocking reputation, but go to the next closest, very good reputation. Just can't be bothered to anything more than cleaning the bike these days.

Geoff.
Heated grips, gear position indicator, grip puppies, fenda extenda, tank protector, Michelin PR4's with "Tyre seal installed", shaved seat, rack and Givi Blade top box, rear hugger, sidestand plate, center stand, Hawk accessory bar with spotlights, Daneli mini soundbomb, Givi XS319 tanklock bag, loobman oiler, Evotech radiator guard, Fuel Micro Mini minus baffle and a liberal coating of Acf50 oh and a detachable sheepskin seat pad, lovely.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »
That's my problem Geoff - getting lazy in my old age, and happy for someone else to do the mechanical bits and pieces!!

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 03:17:13 PM »
Shucks, I view it as one of my retirement hobbies.

Hobbies are good, right?

John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage