Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: beware of cheap china gear indicators and sellers  (Read 363 times)

Offline Ponzan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
beware of cheap china gear indicators and sellers
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »
I have to alert you about cheap china gear indicators and sellers. I have posted here suggestions about the one I got. At first it worked fine but after a couple of months the display begun to fail for no reason. I contacted the seller who failed to send a replacement or to return the money and aliexpress doesn't give you a chance to open a dispute after 60 days, so you are on your own.

*Originally Posted by Ponzan >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
bought at aliexpress:
>>>> link hidden <<<<
CB500XA; XRE300; HJ125 scooter. Previous: NXR150, DR400, XL500

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
Re: beware of cheap china gear indicators and sellers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:17:19 AM »
They are hit and miss. Most of them are good. I have the one with the two sensors and a magnet. It works some of the time. Mine really needs two magnets for a more reliable shift indication.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Memphis
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:44:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl >>>> link hidden <<<<
They are hit and miss. Most of them are good. I have the one with the two sensors and a magnet. It works some of the time. Mine really needs two magnets for a more reliable shift indication.
I'm a little confused (as usual), having no experience in motorcycle gear indicators. Is this a different type sensor than the ECU unit that plugs into the diagnostic or an aspect that I couldn't see?  :187:
Thanks, T
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »
Uncle tee, yes it is a different type, and cheaper. If you use the search facility, you should find a wealth of info on the different types, as well as other stuff you didn't know you didn't know. Have fun searching.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline Ponzan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:24:28 PM »
As you can see following the link provided in the original post, I'm talking about the no-sensors units, the ones that you plug directly to the ECU diagnostics plug. They work pretty well when they work, are relatively easy to install and calibrate. The problem seems to be inferior build quality, so it may be hit and miss, and if you miss the seller won't respond for it  :110:
CB500XA; XRE300; HJ125 scooter. Previous: NXR150, DR400, XL500

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Memphis
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 02:52:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Defender >>>> link hidden <<<<
Uncle tee, yes it is a different type, and cheaper. If you use the search facility, you should find a wealth of info on the different types, as well as other stuff you didn't know you didn't know. Have fun searching.
Thank you for the advice. The solution to an ECU plug thread devolving into magnetic switch adjustment mistakenly made me think you were referring to some sort of dual input indicator, hence my query.
 Cheers, T
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 02:56:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Uncle Tee >>>> link hidden <<<<
I'm a little confused (as usual), having no experience in motorcycle gear indicators. Is this a different type sensor than the ECU unit that plugs into the diagnostic or an aspect that I couldn't see?  :187:
Thanks, T

Defender covered it well. I think he had one on his CB.

*Originally Posted by Ponzan >>>> link hidden <<<<
As you can see following the link provided in the original post, I'm talking about the no-sensors units, the ones that you plug directly to the ECU diagnostics plug. They work pretty well when they work, are relatively easy to install and calibrate. The problem seems to be inferior build quality, so it may be hit and miss, and if you miss the seller won't respond for it  :110:

I got that. I guess maybe I wasn't as clear with my response. I have read on my forums that both styles are hit and miss. Some work excellent and some fail quickly. It doesn't seem to be based on branding. Many different places sell the same gear indicators but under different brand names. I haven't read or heard anything about returns on defective units or their specific seller. I bought mine with the thought of, if it doesn't work, I'm not out much money. I think I gave $20US for mine on ebay.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage