Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Superb December riding weather here, very rare!  (Read 375 times)

Offline Hi,Cider!

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 500XA
  • City / Town: PDX
Superb December riding weather here, very rare!
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:04:56 AM »
Winters are notoriously wet and chilly here in the USA's PNW.  I'm simply not interested in rainy riding -- not being dependent on the bike for basic transportation, I have the luxury of being a wimp and regarding wet weather as *not fun,* avoiding the hassle of gearing up for it.

December is statistically our second-wettest month, and I do try to ride the bike occasionally over the winter, as opposed to putting it to bed for the whole season.  Between November and February, we're usually lucky to have a couple brief periods each month when the pavement is totally dry, and about 2-3x a month has been my average for rainy-season riding.

However, December so far has been freakish, and weather that is both dry and with mild temperatures is projected for another next ten days or so.  During our rare dry stretches at this time of year, it's usually much colder.

I'll probably ride more this December than I did over the three preceding years combined, which is great, and really helps to stave off restless winter doldrums.  This situation certainly won't last, so carpe diem!  Did a couple hours' roaming around the "neighborhood" within about 20 miles today, and more tomorrow... and the next day, and the next, whee!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:07:33 AM by Hi,Cider! »

Offline AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
Re: Superb December riding weather here, very rare!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 08:09:00 AM »
Storm Caroline hitting us here in the UK and snow forecast, so I'm happy to admit to being another fair weather biker, and my X is snuggled up in the garage for the winter!!  :190:
The Story So Far.........

Offline CB500X

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »
90% chance of snow tomorrow in some areas ! That'll be snow then !  :191:

Wouldn't be so bad as some countries seem to just get on with life, however here everything seems to grind to a halt.

Online macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »
Used to ride 12 months a year when we lived on Shetland, mind I was 30 years old then. Gone soft now.

Geoff
Geoff.

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm not planning to get out on two wheels this weekend - so I'm glad someone else is able to!
Hawk

Offline Tod.

• CB500X Pro
  • Welsh, by the grace of God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Basildon
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »
Sitting in the works canteen, waiting to clock off. Then a wet ride home. St least I wont get stuck in traffic.

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 06:40:12 PM »
Y'all make me feel smug for having retired to a place with year round riding.  I was out doing chores on the 500X this morning.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 02:17:24 AM »
Amazing how things are so different here in south Florida . This is our riding season, its dry and mild. Summer is hot and sticky and rains everyday since we are tropical this far south. Only problem is that the snowbirds as we call them ( seasonal tourist from up north ) descend upon us like a swarm of insects. Either you get out of town or sit in traffic everywhere you go. All in all south Florida does not make for a great riding area. However there is the blue ocean and sunshine so more of a "destination" not a "ride" kinda place.
The search button is your friend

Offline Seventh7

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Eureka, CA
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 06:44:23 AM »
Northern California is supposed to have a sunny weekend coming up, and I am so looking forward to it!

Offline Hi,Cider!

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 500XA
  • City / Town: PDX
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 06:50:39 AM »
There seems to be a good balance of envy and pity in response to this December-riding observation, so all's well with the world.

I'll enjoy it while it briefly lasts -- we may well have a series of storms destined that will strike with unprecedented, miserable, freezing fury from late December through January and beyond... so as noted above, carpe diem.

Recent Topics