Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CB500X vs BMW F650GS  (Read 665 times)

Offline DelBarza

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: San Diego
CB500X vs BMW F650GS
« on: December 07, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
Hello everyone. I've been a member for some weeks now and have enjoyed very much all the helpful tips about this wonderful bike.
I've been ready to pull the trigger on a new CB500X ABS for a while now and the only thing that has stopped me is my damn obsession with the '16 metallic brown color which feels like searching for a needle in a haystack!
In my search I've stumbled onto a pre-owned 2010 BMW F "650" GS which is actually a 798cc. The bike has under 5K mikes and looks brand new! My dilemma is the following:
The CB feels like it's the perfect bike for for the following reasons...
Pros:
- I'm very short, about 5'3"
- It's got great reviews
- 0 miles, show room new.
- Whata hell, you own one so you know!
Cons:
- All the basic add-ons the CB needs will be another $1,000 such as skid plate, hand guards, rear top case, descent exhaust, etc.

BMW
Pros:
- Low seat height (1" shorter)
- 798cc (71 hp)
- About 60 lbs lighter!
- More suspension travel
- Bike has all the add-ons and is pretty much ready to go!
Cons:
- I'm paying the same for a used bike that is almost 8 years old and has 5K miles!
- I feel I know everything about the 500X now but not enough about the 650GS.

I look forward to reading feedback from those who have way more experience that I do! Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Offline uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Re: CB500X vs BMW F650GS
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
I'd hardly call myself experienced, but what you've written sounds like quite a case for the GS. The only negative might be fuel economy (and parts could be more expensive - although IMO this isn't a huge problem), but on the other stuff the GS
  • is more height appropriate (you can lower the X, or shave the seat, but that will cost you).
    • is more powerful
    • weighs less, so would arguably be a bit easier to flick around (although that depends so much on other factors such as geometry etc, and the X is a very nimble toy)
    • has all the extras you want, so you don't need to bother about buying stuff
    • is barely broken in (it's virtually a new engine... although, as always, you should check the service history).

People often seem to get turned off slightly older bikes, but the truth is that a modern engine, if properly cared for, will last for years. I guess what it comes down to is which you feel more comfortable with.

Have you ridden both? Does one feel more 'right' than the other to you?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:19:51 AM by uku383 »

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »
Hi DelBarza - for info, the F650GS twin is the same weight as the CB500X [it actually weighs 3Kg more than the CB when they are both full of fuel], and the GS is a lot longer +6" wheelbase, so feels like a much bigger bike when you're on board.

I've ridden both, and the ride quality is a bit better on the GS than a stock CB500X, but the handling/steering feels nowhere near as nimble. The longer wheelbase of the GS negates any benefit in ground clearance too. Oh, and the ABS on the Honda is far better than the BMW.

That said, the GS sounds like a great deal, and has a lot of extras you'd want. It also feels appreciably more torquey in the lower-mid range (although the CB is no slouch, and really comes alive over 5000rpm).

You really need to ride both to see what suits you best. Simple on-paper specs never tell the whole story.

Jx

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:02:02 AM by JMo »

Online HerrDeacon

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
Easiest way to decide would be to ride both, not sure if that's possible but if it is it would really help. For me, just based on the spec sheets (which is not a good way to judge a bike) I'd go for the BMW. More power and larger front wheel in roughly the same sized/weight bike would seal it for me, but I haven't ridden the GS so this is only based on specs.

Try and see if you can get a ride on both. Either way let us know how it goes.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Offline AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »
Honda.
The Story So Far.........

Offline AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »
Sorry - should I explain?

Well, the Honda is new, no matter how well looked after the BMW is, it has 5000 miles under its wheels, wearing bearings, seals, chain, sprockets, etc., etc.  It's not a fast engine, so despite more BHP, performance won't be that different.

Neither is built in its home factory - Honda from Thailand, BMW from India, I looked at both when I bought earlier this year (new Honda, pre-registered 0 miles BMW) and preferred the Honda build quality.  Got a better deal from a much more approachable dealer too.

If 2010 is the same model as I was looking at (2016), it has 2 silencers under the seat....but one is fake.

It'll be dearer to run than the Honda too - servicing and parts as well as lower MPG.

Anyway, that's what I decided - I know the BMW is a decent bike, I just preferred the Honda!!  :001:

Online marktbike

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: Alcamo
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
Performance IS different, definitely. And the twin "650" (798) BMW has just one silencer, the double under the seat was the signature of the single 650 (actually 650, incredibly).
But all that JMo says is to take into account, first of all the difference in agility. Personally, I'd take the Honda because it's new and 7 years on a bike are something, more so if it's not been used regularly. It depends on what you want to use it for: long range tourism with a passenger? take the BMW. Thoughtless solo-riding on secondary roads? Honda without an afterthought...

Offline AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »
MarktBike, I stand corrected, it was obviously a 650 single I was looking at (I didn't go into any detail about the bike, when the dealer made it clear he wouldn't negotiate on the price!) - I didn't think there would be such a new model of the single available, when it had been replaced by the twin model!!   :034:

Offline KMGuy

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »
Hmmm, I'm a fan of both brands. As far as parts/accessories/repairs go you'll always pay more for the BMW name, that's just a reality of life. That being said it sounds like the Beemer has a lot going for it. I would recommend getting out on both if possible and then go with your gut....

Offline marcusfordus

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tango Orange
  • City / Town: Ashfield
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
2010 650GS, that should have indicator button on each bar. So crazy, BMW dropped them for the modern world. A deal breaker.

Ive had two F800GS an early with the crazy buttons and a latter version which was very good.

The 500x was the replacement for the BMW and I dont miss the 800 at all.

Recent Topics