Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: York to Bulgaria January 2018  (Read 1888 times)

Offline cbmark

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: York
Re: York to Bulgaria January 2018
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »
Yes, Thank you all for your replies and feedback - all taken on board.

Probably naivety, i assumed southern Europe would not be a victim of snow and cold miserable weather. Just glad i reached out, and you kind bunch informed me BEFORE i set off! That would have been a bit of a shock!

Anyway, ill have more time to prepare my bike and structure a proper route together. Ill be taking many photos so will happily share with you once i return.

2015 CB500X

Offline cbmark

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
Good choice.
I think an Easter trip would be epic also. A pravoslav Easter in Bulgaria is a "cultural shock" to experience.
Get yourself prepared well, and you'll enjoy.

Hopefully i will have chance to see some of those "cultural Shocks"! Looking forward to getting out that way, the country side looks stunning over there- cant wait!
2015 CB500X

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 06:12:58 PM »
A pravoslav Easter in Bulgaria is a "cultural shock" to experience.

Would this involve huge quantities of Vodka ?
Brian.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 09:14:59 PM »
Nope. Bulgarian national drink is Rakia - which is also a spirit like Vodka, but while Vodka is made from grain (or potato starch and in case of real terrible home stuff just yeast and white sugar) Rakia is made from fruits with high natural sugar content - traditionally grapes, plum etc.
The officially sold ones are limited to 40%alc, but home made stuff can and very often reaches up to 80% what can be a killer.
But more importantly I meant the whole cultural tradition around easter. First of all the Pravoslav (or Orthodox) Easter falls later than Roman catholic (due to using the Julian calendar instead the Gregorian) - in 2018 it will be on 8th of April.
Second the have a whole bunch of interesting festive traditions with special -only made once a year- ornamental bread what is blessed in the church by the Popa, special church rituals, meals, etc.
Lived a few years in Slavic countries so have seen some, but it is best experienced with some local hosts.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
Rakia is made from fruits with high natural sugar content - traditionally grapes, plum etc.

Sounds nice, a bit like schnapps.
Brian.

Offline cbmark

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »
I Dare say it might be one of those drinks that you end up drinking and drinking without feeling the consequences, until you want to stand up!  I'm looking forward to trying some when out there!
2015 CB500X

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 03:24:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by cbmark [+]
I Dare say it might be one of those drinks that you end up drinking and drinking without feeling the consequences, until you want to stand up!  I'm looking forward to trying some when out there!

A biking consultant anaesthetist once told me there is an optimum alcohol percentage to hit the bloodstream and and Sherry is it. A lot more and it it sits there until you drink water/tea, then BANK it hits you.

The Scottish tradition is beer with a whisky chaser, I guess that matches the above.

One problem with age, can't take much alcohol any more. Never mind, better to ride a bike than hit the bottle.
Brian.

Offline cbmark

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by DenverChance [+]
A flat tyre situation where most of the riders are not comfortable with. I have been in the situation where a flat tyre cost me more than 2 hours to get repaired and if it had happened in night time, mate Lord is the savior!! So I added one more tool in my travel kit which is DIY Puncture Kit. It is amazingly easy to cure the tyre after getting flat. Go for it mate.   :152:

I just ordered one from Amazon - Stop n Go - i think its called. Mushroom shaped plugs, and also a compact 12v pump - So fingers crossed, if the worst happens, ill be on the move again in a short time!  Ill be watching you tube quite closely to learn how to use the kit now!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:44:45 AM by cbmark »
2015 CB500X

Offline procrasti

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016CB500XA
  • City / Town: St. Gallen
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 11:04:02 PM »
Give me a heads up if you decide to ride trough switzerland when you take off to this great adventure...  :028:

Offline cbmark

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 10:02:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by procrasti [+]
Give me a heads up if you decide to ride trough Switzerland when you take off to this great adventure...  :028:
Hi, Yes sure will. I expect to be leaving UK around first week in April this year, ill update here with my planned route!

Best Regards

Mark.
2015 CB500X

Recent Topics