Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thinking of buying, but need advice re pillion suitability  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Stoater14

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Cambridge
Thinking of buying, but need advice re pillion suitability
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:48:23 PM »
Hi all, new to the forum, haven't purchased the CB500X yet, but very tempted.  I've been riding 35 years,owned a large variety of motorcycles, currently riding  a large tourer. Now I can figure that the CB500X will not be as brilliant as my current bike for a pillion, but given a mental readjustment, (and more stops) is it possible that a pillion could ride happily on this bike? Note she is 5 feet 5, 9 stone.
Also, please could someone measure from the centre of the pillion footrest over the centre of the pillion seat to the centre of the other footrest? this would  give me an idea how much legroom there is.  (Current bike is 54 inches)
Hey, thanks for any advice offered, even if it is that this bike doesn't suit pillions! Cheers

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
Re: Thinking of buying, but need advice re pillion suitability
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 11:44:59 PM »
I can't speak for pillion comfort, but as the rider I'd be very sceptical about the rear shock and whether it is up to the task. Horsepower might be a weakness too for regular two up riding, but it depends on you really.

What kind of riding do you do?
Hawk

Offline Stoater14

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 11:53:22 PM »
Just days out, maybe 100-200 miles, country lanes. Plus the odd trip to Morocco, but planning to use the tourer for that! I would need to recalibrate to get used to the loss of 70 horsepower, and that is another concern, but I quite fancy losing 90 kgs of bike weight, and something has to give. Also considering NC750X.

Offline Pigeonherd

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Quincy, CA
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:33:04 AM »
Hi,
I ride with a pillion about 60% of the time in the winter and 20% in summer (she has a CB300F but isn't winter-confident yet), and by all accounts it's plenty comfortable. We stepped up from a 2006 Ninja250, though, so our perspective might be slightly different than coming from a tourer. My pillion is also 5'5" but has an old lower back injury that plagues her terribly, and because of that she noticed that the stock seat of the CB500X had her closer to the passenger pegs than on the Ninja (knees at a more acute angle, more tucked/cramped), but the recent addition of a Corbin seat (which is a bit taller) has helped mitigate this. We don't do nearly the length of riding you do, maybe 80mi max round trip, though the complaint that takes us home has always been sun-is-down-air-is-cold and never seat/position discomfort.

Offline Stoater14

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 08:43:33 AM »
Thanks Pigeonherd, good advice, especially re Corbin. My wife (pillion) has suffered knee injuries skiing, so we would try to avoid the acute knee angle you describe. This rules out about 90% of Motorcycles and most bikes under 1000cc. She also likes a grab rail that works ( not unreasonable) and a back rest on a top box. None of these requirements are ridiculous, but they add to a list which excludes nearly all bikes. Now, Im happy to ride large and fast bikes which may fit the criteria but prefer lower weight and cost currently. Hence the cb500x interest.....

Offline Stoater14

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:15:59 AM »
Goldfever, I share concerns re suspension. I've had three bikes setup professionally by MCT in Stowmarket and even 10k brand new bikes have benefited and included faults (underdamping) that really should have been sorted by the factory. I'm not an expert but really notice the difference between a well setup bike and a poorly setup on. MCT made a 20 year old 400 Honda ride better than a brand new bike. So I'd budget for a revalve, or a new shock. Of course, budgeting for suspension and a Corbin or similar, a6k bike soon becomes expensive, especially when you add luggage. Then I being to wonder it it makes more sense to stick with an already sorted older BMW.....

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 12:27:09 PM »
We and our pillions are all unique so my advice would be, find a dealer who has a demo bike.
Suggest you first go for a ride solo to ensure that you are happy. Longer the ride the better. Then revisit with your other half.
Screens can be changed and seats reupholstered but it is not cheap.
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extender. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Pro
  • Let's Ride Enjoying the outdoors aboard the CBX
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, My wife rides with me often 200 miles days back roads and dirt roads. She hates the interstate says it is just boring. We have had V Stroms 650 and 1000's she is 5'4" and 135lbs. I set my rear shock on 7 added a Givi touring screen and bags. We did some long rides she only got off stiff one time. We rode 120 miles in a heavy rain on some crazy switchbacks fog just a nasty day. I would ask are you ok? She would say just keep going.
The seat is wide we are both 51 and have ridden together for 33 years and she complains less about the X than other bikes. She did not like the rear shock at the OME 3 setting. The bike would move around in high-speed corners, squat and drift. I moved it to 5 and it was better but I like it on 7 and she agreed that it is better. I am out of town and will check the requested measurements.   

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 06:52:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stoater14 [+]
....could someone measure from the centre of the pillion footrest over the centre of the pillion seat to the centre of the other footrest? this would  give me an idea how much legroom there is.  (Current bike is 54 inches)

OK - centre of top surface of footrest, up between grab rail and frame, over centre of pillion seat and back down the same route - 48"

Hope that helps!!
The Story So Far.........

Offline MichaelCM

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500xa 2013
  • City / Town: Chiang Mai
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
 My wife managed many thousand kilometres as pillion on my 500x last winter around northern Thailand and now we are here doing it again :)

I weigh approx 85kg, she about 50, plus several days luggage. The bike has performed well in often mountains areas though it takes a bit of working the gears. I too prefer the suspension set to the #7 position.

She has little complaint on comfort except requiring a cushion for longer runs. She is quite short in the leg so no problem there.

I feel very confident of the bike and the suspension copes fine.
Mostly based in Sydney but keep the 500X in Thailand for frequent visits.

Recent Topics