Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MPG Seems Low  (Read 14655 times)

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
MPG Seems Low
« on: December 16, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
Hi all, just recently bought a brand new 2017 500X and so far only put 200 miles on it. One of the main reasons I got it was because of how good the MPG supposedly is but mine just doesn't seem that great. I mostly commute 15 miles a day, maybe up to a quarter of that is city/stop start.

Been keeping a close eye on the dash fuel estimates (yeah I know they are never accurate) but it's been saying overall average of around 67mpg, which I though was ok, not great and pretty much every comment I've read says the results are always actually better. Thought nothing of it and assumed real world miles would be better.

Mine seems to be the reverse though. Had the trip set to zero, put 158 miles on her and decided to fill up, got 11.6 litres in, works out to a fairly unimpressive 61 mpg (UK). Unimpressive as I've been riding her like a nun on sleeping tablets for the most part, rarely gone over 5000rpm and pull away fairly gently and smoothly, using all the gears and sitting between 4-5000rpm most of the time.

Is this something I should be concerned about, is the small amount of city riding really hurting the MPG, will it get better once fully run in, etc?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:28:58 PM by Applecorp »

Offline Triplebrew

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500FAG
  • City / Town: Croydon
Re: MPG Seems Low
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 02:37:05 PM »
I noticed the MPG on the dash seemed lower than I was expecting (showing similar figures to yours). On calculating the MPG I found it to be around 10 - 15 mpg more than the value displayed. I spoke with Honda about this and the consensus was that the onboard trip calculates the MPG based on a US gallon and not a UK gallon. Some further calculations seem to support this idea.

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »
Yes I am aware of that, my problem is the opposite and not in my favour, and the real world calculated mpg is only 61 (bike indicates 67) and that is with very conservative riding. I looked on fuelly and there is not one single (average) result as low as mine.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:41:08 PM by Applecorp »

Offline Triplebrew

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500FAG
  • City / Town: Croydon
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 02:43:41 PM »
Odd. I have owned 2 x CB500X, 2 x CBR500 and am currently on a CB500F and all have given 70+mpg. I would do the manual calculation 3 or 4 times and average it out and see if it is still low. I cannot remember if it improved after the first service or not.

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »
Yeah I know it's early days having only filled her up once, just seems on the low side and as said everyone else's computer reading seems to underestimate, whereas mine has overestimated. Bit concerning as the fuel use gauge underestimates too, says I'd used 10.5 litres and I'd actually used 11.6 (which is the amount I filled up with). That could cause issues on low fuel warnings perhaps?

I'll see how it goes until the first service and see what they say at the Honda dealer.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:50:25 PM by Applecorp »

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »
If your 2017 only has 200 miles on it, the engine is still tight and not fully broken in. My mpg came up after about 1500US miles. No matter how I load my bike, I get roughly the same mpg, 68US mpg. I ride her like I stole her most of the time.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
What mpg were you getting to start with?

I really can't see it jumping up to 68 mpg (81mpg UK) just cause the engine has loosened up.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:09:50 PM by Applecorp »

Offline marcusfordus

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Pumpkin Orange
  • City / Town: Ashfield
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 03:15:17 PM »
Give it time. Mine was just the same the first two fill ups. I've still to hit my first service as sparkly white stuff put a stop to that on my country road commute at 6am. Every time I do ride I wonder how long that last fuel bar is going to stay on before I need to fill up. It's at 218 miles as of today.
Recycled Hamster wheel handguards, SW-Motech centre stand, fender extender, heated grips, fork gators, Givi hugger, USB power outlet, long black adjustable levers, Givi QR tank bag, Wilbers stage 3 rear shock. Renthal 39t rear. PR4 tyres.

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
Are you saying you've already seen an improvement after your second fill up?

Offline Phils bike

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Sand 2016 cb500x
  • City / Town: Sowerby bridge
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 03:37:27 PM »
Hi there it should improve a bit once the engine has loosened up steady riding
Should return 70ish mpg motorway riding at high speed will see it drop to the
60s you will see claims on here of 80mpg and above lol I have had mine nearly
Two years and and average about 70mpg  you probably could achieve 80mpg plus if indeed you did ride like a nun but riding ment to be fun
All the best Phil

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage