Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MPG Seems Low  (Read 14657 times)

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Re: MPG Seems Low
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 03:42:33 PM »
Cheers Phil, hopefully I do see an improvement. Although if this crap weather continues it won't be for some time yet.   :190:

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »
Been reading some interesting stuff on how cold weather effects mpg, (fairly significantly in some cases) and since I've only ridden this 2 week old bike in cold weather I guess that could also be a factor.

I leave work at 5:30 am and it is rather cold at the moment, only a 10 minute commute but barely enough time for the engine to get up to it's fuel efficient temperature, and off goes the engine. Cold weather also effects tyre pressure and increases air density so there is more drag effect with those two combined. Probably not that much but it all adds up.

So, that combined with being a new bike, I hope to see things improve in the warmer weather. 

Quote from an article I read:

Auto components such as electric motors, engines, transmissions and tires consume more energy at low temperatures, especially during startup. The viscosity of the oil and other fluids increases with decreasing temperature, which means that more work and more fuel is required to overcome friction in the engine, transmission and other drivetrain components. If the outside temperature is significantly below the ambient temperature at which the EPA prescribed tests were conducted and trips are short, the engines coolant system never reaches normal operating temperature and more fuel is utilized. Additionally, the amount of drag between tires and the road is about 20 percent greater at 0 degrees F than it is at 80 degrees F. Operating tires at lower than recommended operating pressure further degrades a vehicles fuel economy, but this is also a problem in warm weather.

Finally, a vehicles aerodynamic drag is proportional to air density. On a 70-degree-F day, the density of the air is 16 percent lower than on a day with temperatures around 0 degrees F. Although this makes little difference in urban driving, it could account for a highway mileage per gallon reduction of 7 percent on the colder day (including a 1.5 percent allowance for improvement in fuel efficiency at the higher engine load).

Considering all these factors, the fuel economy during urban trips of less than 10 minutes, in cold weather with snowy road conditions can easily be 50 percent lower than operation of the same vehicle in warm weather with dry roads.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:49:18 PM by Applecorp »

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 06:02:17 PM »
I still get over 80mpg winter riding, so no problem really. Have a look at my stats by clicking on my fuelly link to see the difference between winter and summer.

Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

https://www.youtube.com/user/irishrover63

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
Revs are the thing - are you accelerating fast and running at speeds over say, 5-5500 rpm?  That seems to lower the mpg figure......I don't ride in town, and most riding is on 60mph limits with occasional motorway use, but only at or around 70mph.....I've done about 3500 miles from new this summer, and averaged (by the Honda speedo) 89mpg UK!!!  And no great difference from first tankful to last.....

I know that's high, but I'm a cruiser, if you like to ride fast, and rev high up and down through the gears, you'll have to expect much lower figures.....
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »
No, like I said it's a brand new bike and I'm running her in gently, I've been easy on the throttle 95% of the time and have rarely gone over 5000rpm.

For the record I've had lots of bikes, been riding for 15 years, and know all the fuel saving tricks.   :001:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:09:06 PM by Applecorp »

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 06:09:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Revs are the thing - are you accelerating fast and running at speeds over say, 5-5500 rpm?  That seems to lower the mpg figure......I don't ride in town, and most riding is on 60mph limits with occasional motorway use, but only at or around 70mph.....I've done about 3500 miles from new this summer, and averaged (by the Honda speedo) 89mpg UK!!!  And no great difference from first tankful to last.....

I know that's high, but I'm a cruiser, if you like to ride fast, and rev high up and down through the gears, you'll have to expect much lower figures.....

I wouldn't trust that Honda on board computer Alex. A more accurate way is by using an app like Fuelly or similar and zeroing your trip meter at every fill up, that way you get a true average mpg over time and a more accurate tank range reading.

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 06:13:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover [+]
I wouldn't trust that Honda on board computer Alex. A more accurate way is by using an app like Fuelly or similar and zeroing your trip meter at every fill up, that way you get a true average mpg over time and a more accurate tank range reading.

Indeed, that's what I've always done with my bikes, and I got only 61mpg on my first tank with the 500X (gentle riding).   :003:

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »

Ha! Ha! I like the idea that I am getting such good mpg though.....impresses the wife too!!!  :008:

Applecorp, I could average 66mpg on my Hyosung GT650 V-twin, which was not an economical engine..... I hope your figures increase, mpg is one of the bikes big attractions!!  :006:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 06:17:09 PM »
I still get over 80mpg winter riding, so no problem really. Have a look at my stats by clicking on my fuelly link to see the difference between winter and summer.

Yes but how long are you typically riding for?

My journeys are very short and the engine is barely able to get up to it's more fuel efficient temperature.

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Phils bike [+]
Hi there it should improve a bit once the engine has loosened up steady riding
Should return 70ish mpg motorway riding at high speed will see it drop to the
60s you will see claims on here of 80mpg and above lol I have had mine nearly
Two years and and average about 70mpg  you probably could achieve 80mpg plus if indeed you did ride like a nun but riding ment to be fun
All the best Phil

I certainly don't ride like a nun mate and average 86mpg, 300 miles to a full tank. If you are going by that daft Honda on board computer, then it is way off and you are probably getting more than you think. Do you ever ride it until the reserve display starts to flash? I do and have ridden mine with 0.5 litres used with just 0.1 litre left in the tank according to the computer. I should do a video sometime to prove it is possible. Fill up and reset the trip, then ride until it almost runs out.  :005:

Recent Topics