Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MPG Seems Low  (Read 24149 times)

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: MPG Seems Low
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2019, 04:14:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
Is your bike mostly stock?  Or do you have the RR suspension upgrades?  Are you running street tires or off road tires?  Do you have luggage and carry much weight?

My bike is mostly stock except for a 22 Madstad windscreen and a 46L topbox.  Im running PR4s and if I keep it at 50 mph and lower while cruising small back roads I will see 80+ mpg US.  Running around 55 mph I get 70+.  However, running 60 mph it drops to around 65 mpg and at 70 mph its around 58 mpg.  A couple times running 80+ mph I would only get about 45 mpg.  Wind drag sucks!

I also see a significant drop in mpg when there is a lot of stop and go like driving in town.

It's a RR L1 bike so factory height, brand new TKC70 tires and I keep an eye on the pressure, stock 2013 screen, Givi 46L top box, has a 2 Brothers slip on, speeds are below 60. Generally 45-55mph on highway. To work is highway downhill and home is uphill, with very steep grades. All riding is around the city, and Tegucigalpa is in the mountains, so here there a lot of hills to climb. Pretty much every where I go I'm climbing steeply. I shift around 5k rpm or less. Careful to keep it top gear. Easy accelerations.

One of the main culprits, I'm suspecting, is the chain. Secondly, the topography. Next weekend I may ride out of the city and burn a tank just to see. I'm also adding a Madstad 20" on Monday, it just arrived, so it'll be a mixed bag trying to figure out my low mpg issue.

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2019, 06:27:08 PM »
First of all you should replace that chain ASAP.  A lot of stiff links is very hard on the countershaft and rear wheel bearings.  The bearings are getting hammered everytime the stiff links jerk the chain tight as they go around the sprockets, especially the smaller drive sprocket.  If the countershaft bearing gets damaged it will require the engine casing to be split to replace it and that is major expensive surgery.  The wheel bearings are much less expensive and easier to replace, but still a hassle.

With all the steep hills and city stop-and-go you wont see the same mileage as those of us who are riding long nonstop country roads with gentler hills.  Theres nothing wrong with your bike, its just the laws of physics getting in the way.  You should check with other riders in your area who have a similar riding environment and see how their mileage compares to what their bikes are rated at.

Im sure once you get out on the open road and just cruise for a good long distance you will see a big difference in gas mileage.  Just be sure to replace that chain as soon as you can.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2019, 06:38:29 PM »
Yep. Replacing the chain this week. Got 10,000 miles out of the factory chain, which sounds about normal for the OEM units.

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
Replaced my OEM chain at 7,800 miles with a DID-VX2.  The bike is at 13,800 miles now and the chain is still in great shape.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline mainjet1

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Woodland Park CO
« Reply #204 on: March 02, 2019, 06:20:31 AM »
Snowowl; good info in your reply #201 above.  7800 miles life on stock chain seems nominal.  A replacement of a good DID chain likely will last longer next time around.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2019, 02:59:59 AM »
Thought I'd update now that I've had a good chance to follow my MPG over some with a new chain and sprockets (stock gearing).

City riding in Tegucigalpa for work (the city is in the mountains so some of the hills here are incredibly steep) has yielded around 63-65 US MPG.

Completely thrashing the bike for the duration of an entire tank (no exaggeration, running 7,500-8k rpm for long intervals chasing liter bikes through the mountains and 90-100mph on the valley floors) usually puts me at about 53-54 US MPG.

Overall, very pleased with my gas mileage. On any of my other bikes, 650 Strom included, usually netted me around 45mpg or less. Definitely impressed with the 500X.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:00:47 AM by ThirtyOne »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage