Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Bike  (Read 925 times)

Offline mrklunk

• CB500X Member
  • Tango'd.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
Re: New Bike
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 09:41:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Ah!! B&Q manager, that's why you went with the orange, matches the uniform.  :008:

I'd popped down for a Barbecue and garden furniture to enjoy this lovely Scottish weather ;)

Online kurth83

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 cb500x
  • City / Town: San Jose
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:25 PM »
I like to get all the options I think I might use...  But this was my list, to build a commuter bike:

- ABS model, seriously.
- Heated Grips, what's not to love.
- Centerstand (makes chain and general maintenance much easier).
- Hand guards, (if you get heated grips then get these too).
- rear carrier (I attach a Givi case to it, The screw holes fit the Givi mount).
- Saddlebags and stays (they will be keyed to the main key, super).  Since they are removable so I only use them when I need to carry extra, you can feel them drag in the wind (more throttle needed), and they make the bike wider.
- light bar (I always install lights).

That's it actually, not a lot of options on this bike, but the saddlebags are pricey, and the light bar makes me hurt a little bit too.

And the long list of post-purchase farkles (aimed at commuting):
- Gear indicator, TPMS, handlebar bar risers (1" up x  1" back, loosen/remove the brake line clamp and it will fit otherwise unmodified), taller windscreen, headlight modulator, new chain and sprockets to up the gearing, speedohealer (fixes the speedo to be right after an upgear), lights.

In retrospect I might consider some suspension upgrades too, anything to smooth out the ride, but the ride is already pretty good on this bike, so I never bothered.

For me doing all that is fun.

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 06:45:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by fudge132 >>>> link hidden <<<<
Thank you all for your input. I'm planning on a trip to my local dealer tomorrow to see what they have in stock and see what they can offer me. Ive not seen the bike in person yet so cant wait.

I think a center stand is something I could not live without so will definitely be going with that option from the dealer. Ive also settled on the silver, having asked family and friends and they all agree that Orange is sooo not my colour :008:

Im also going to go with top box and panniers (probably Givi as I have a Givi box on my current bike).It might not look the prettiest but Im more of a practical person so love masses of storage and I like the flexibility of being able to just have top box for commuting or panniers for a day out or all of them together for longer trips.

Theres loads of things you all have mentioned that has got me thinking and now even more excited about the possibilities with this bike.

I cant thank you all enough for your input and I have started to draw up a wish list already, and Ive not even bought one yet!

Now I only need to pass my test  :155:

How handy are you with the tools? Sometimes it might better for the dealer to fit stuff. Especially as with mine they didn't charge for fitting. The other option if you are happy to fit extras yourself, ride the bike first then decide on the extras that you can't live without.

Not sure if you are aware but Givi do different mounting racks for different boxes. I think there are 3 types. Monolock, Monokey and those for the Outback Trekker. Something to bare in mind if you intend to use your old box

Don't under estimate the protection of both your hands and the bike by hand guards. Abys was glad he had them fitted with an unscheduled dismount.

Good luck with your test.

Offline abys

• CB500X Member
  • Bike born 09 Dec 2017
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by rambrose >>>> link hidden <<<<
How handy are you with the tools? Sometimes it might better for the dealer to fit stuff. Especially as with mine they didn't charge for fitting. The other option if you are happy to fit extras yourself, ride the bike first then decide on the extras that you can't live without.

Not sure if you are aware but Givi do different mounting racks for different boxes. I think there are 3 types. Monolock, Monokey and those for the Outback Trekker. Something to bare in mind if you intend to use your old box

Don't under estimate the protection of both your hands and the bike by hand guards. Abys was glad he had them fitted with an unscheduled dismount.

Good luck with your test.

+1 to that! I loved the 'unscheduled dismount' comment.... Made me chuckle.  :008:
Andy
2017 Sword Silver CB500XAH
Tinted screen, Centre stand, Rear hugger/chain guard, Knuckle guards, Oxford heated grips, 12v Socket, Gear Indicator.

Offline bones

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »
hi fudge.
great choice of bike the X. I also live in north wales probably the best roads in Britain .
I have had a hugger and a centre stand fitted the hugger is good to keep the spray down
in the wet and the stand is good for chain tensioning .
the X is a brill all round bike for short or long rides.
good luck with the test.
Bones.... p.s stand fitted approx. 140.00
 :730:

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage