Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The worst bike I have ever owned. THE DITCH PUMP .  (Read 2865 times)

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph T100
The worst bike I have ever owned. THE DITCH PUMP .
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:02:24 AM »
About 12 or so years ago when my daily grind was a couple of hundred miles a day on a Pan Euro a friend persuaded me, there was a great deal of alcohol involved, that the way to motorcycling nirvana was a Harley Davidson combined with the south of France. On the lines of "don't knock it till you've tried it" within limit's of course, then let's give it a go. HD Dyna Glide purchased at some 10.5k and the only extra fitted was a backrest at a very reasonable 450. Stuck our respective wifes on the plane and of we went to the said South of France. Spent a week running about down there, wife elected not to bother some days and by the time we were due to ride back I gave serious consideration to getting the bloody thing stolen and flying home. Let me try and describe it to you. Take two "Lister" motors and tie them to a single crank. Strap the previously described power unit to an"H" girder and add two wheels and you get the picture.

On returning to the UK and with even more alcohol added I was convinced that I had missed the point and if I was to go on this HD Rideout to Stratford I would get it. What followed was possibly the most embarrassing day of my life, and trust me there have been a few, and I would like to apologise to the people of Stratford for the bunch of idiots that descended on their town that day. Enough, up for sale it went, the phone rang off the hook and a guy turned up and gleefully handed me 9.5k for the heap of crap and it's associated lifestyle. Truly amazing.

Geoff. :087:
Heated grips, gear position indicator, grip puppies, fenda extenda, tank protector, Michelin PR4's with "Tyre seal installed", shaved seat, rack and Givi Blade top box, rear hugger, sidestand plate, center stand, Hawk accessory bar with spotlights, Daneli mini soundbomb, Givi XS319 tanklock bag, loobman oiler, Evotech radiator guard, Fuel Micro Mini minus baffle and a liberal coating of Acf50 oh and a detachable sheepskin seat pad, lovely.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: The worst bike I have ever owned. THE DITCH PUMP .
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »
I went to see a Harley a few years back at the local West Coast Harley dealer.  Sat on a Sportster, quite nice, Easy Rider movie comes to mind, and I think yes, this could be nice, good social scene......

Then I got chatting with the dealer and said to him "I'm not sure I can cope with the whole Harley owner persona", he says, "it's not the way it used to be, we used to sell mostly skull and crossbones air filter covers, now it's more often the screamin' eagle".........  :029:

Nope, not for me!!  :004:
The Story So Far.........

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
Believe me AJC it was a life changer. But in retrospect contributed to where I am now. Pain makes you truly appreciate the quiescent state of good health.  :821:
Heated grips, gear position indicator, grip puppies, fenda extenda, tank protector, Michelin PR4's with "Tyre seal installed", shaved seat, rack and Givi Blade top box, rear hugger, sidestand plate, center stand, Hawk accessory bar with spotlights, Daneli mini soundbomb, Givi XS319 tanklock bag, loobman oiler, Evotech radiator guard, Fuel Micro Mini minus baffle and a liberal coating of Acf50 oh and a detachable sheepskin seat pad, lovely.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:27:55 PM »
+1

Was touring the US (big road trip) many years back and had arranged with Harley Davidson to do a tour of the factory whilst I was passing through (I was writing an article about them). To give them credit they offered to lend me a bike for a few days without me asking. Can't remember what model it was now but unfortunately it was not great...  :006:

Haven't ridden one since but like to think they have upped their game in recent years (or am I being polite and deluded !  :001: ) ..!

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:39:42 PM »
I've never ridden a HD, so can't comment on that. I was over at our new Harley dealership last week and it was quite full of prospective buyers. I couldn't believe just how many had "sold" tags on them and there was a trike that was around 25000 with the new owners names on it. They aren't really my thing although the scrambler version looks interesting.

Offline Britchris

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL1
  • City / Town: Bryceville
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
I live in Florida.
Many friends ride Harleys.
Fortunately, they're not too much into the wild Pirate/Hardcore Harley lifestyle look.
They seem to like their bikes, especially on longer rides.
They do leave me behind occasionally, until I turn up on my Triumph Thunderbird!
IMHO: Harleys are overpriced, overweight, under powered and not designed for cornering'
I would hate to ride one through London traffic.
Still, each to their own.
I wave at them and sometimes the riders wave back.....
YMMV
Ride safe,
Chris C
It's not a sport unless you can suffer massive internal injuries.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »
My brother has moved to Canada, and the dealer he got to know there steered him away from Harley - he now rides this Honda Valkyrie....equally huge, but he says it's so smooth.
The Story So Far.........

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 01:09:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
My brother has moved to Canada, and the dealer he got to know there steered him away from Harley - he now rides this Honda Valkyrie....equally huge, but he says it's so smooth.

And reliable and ridden by normal people. Some of the ones I came across were even sporting fake American accents to match their fake stick on pony tales. If you really want a laugh go and hang around a UK HD dealership for half an hour and just listen to the utter crap being talked.

The Harley in it's true cultural environment is an intrinsic American thing and a wonderful part of America's heritage making complete sense and should I live across the pond I would probably embrace and be proud of it but when you try to translate it to the UK and its roads and climate it just becomes "sad".

Geoff.

Offline Phils bike

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Sand 2016 cb500x
  • City / Town: Sowerby bridge
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:43:16 PM »
Hi there we'll said still laughing all the best Phil

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 07:47:35 PM »
I rode HD for about a year when I was 19. I'm glad I didn't own any of those bikes. I owned Suzuki sports bikes and Honda dirt bikes and ATVs, except one Yamaha YZ125 dirty bike. At 35 years old, I decided I wouldn't mind having a cruiser after a good deal popped up on FB. I'm not on FB anymore either. So I sprung for a '00 V Star Classic 650. A couple years later I bought a CB500X. Now about to turn 41, there are only two bikes that currently fit what I may use them for, Yamaha XT250 or TW200. I just have to clear out some of my other bikes first. They're listed below.

Back to HD. I have a close set of people that I do moto work for. I rarely take on new clients. Some of them beg me to work on their wife's vibrators but I politely decline. I'm not an HD mechanic, I tell them.  :001:
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Recent Topics