Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking for a new bike  (Read 401 times)

Online Arkridia

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Western NY
Looking for a new bike
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »
I am looking for an adventure bike and was considering a verse, Storm, and NC700. They all told me to check out the CB500x so I am here to learn about this bike. I have been riding bikes for 15 years but as I get older and have back problems I need a bike that has better suspension and keeps my back straight and feet under me not like my cruiser.

Online Applecorp

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Re: Looking for a new bike
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:14:03 PM »
The 500X is a great bike but to be perfectly honest as with most bikes built to a budget the suspension is not the best, especially for someone with back problems, it can be a bit bouncy on the rear. No idea if adjusting the preload can help with that though. There are of course superb after market upgrades such as Rally Raid, but obviously at a cost.

Out of the bikes you list the Versys will have the better suspension, it's fully adjustable, but as always there are pros and cons. It's a fair bit heavier than the 500X, costs more, not as nimble and not as good fuel economy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:16:11 PM by Applecorp »

Online AJC500

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:54:48 PM »
Strangely enough, although I absolutely love the adventure bike design of the X, the combination of sitting 'bolt upright' and (maybe?) the standard seat isn't as comfortable as the slightly forward lean of my previous 'naked' bike.  I think the upright position puts a bit more pressure on your 'tailbone', if you know what I mean - I've tried to show on the attached photo how the slightly forward lean of a naked bike takes weight away from your tail towards the upper thigh, but then the higher seat of the X increases the angle at your knee which is more comfortable.....it's not much but it does feel different. :187:

So saying I wouldn't change back, so I guess you just try a few and see what treats your back best.....but you need a decent time out on the bikes to see if it's comfy or not!!
The Story So Far.........

Online Applecorp

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Strangely enough, although I absolutely love the adventure bike design of the X, the combination of sitting 'bolt upright' and (maybe?) the standard seat isn't as comfortable as the slightly forward lean of my previous 'naked' bike.

I was actually going to say that, I find the forward lean on my Street Triple actually more comfortable as it takes the weight/pressure off the base of the back/spine, with the 500X you're kind of slouched in the seat and you can feel it on a longer ride.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:19:35 PM by Applecorp »

Online AJC500

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:16:12 PM »
Only things that did happen for me, after a long day's ride with the 'naked' bike, were a bit of cramp in my legs from the sharper leg angle, and the little bit of weight on my wrists could give me pins and needles, which I don't get on the X!!

You win some, you lose some, eh?   :034:
The Story So Far.........

Online Applecorp

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »
Yes there are pros and cons, the perfect bike doesn't exist to my knowledge. Although if there was a half faired version of the Street Triple (no, not the Daytona) then I think that would be the perfect bike for me. It needs some wind protection at high speeds.

Online Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Applecorp >>>> link hidden <<<<
Yes there are pros and cons, the perfect bike doesn't exist to my knowledge. Although if there was a half faired version of the Street Triple (no, not the Daytona) then I think that would be the perfect bike for me. It needs some wind protection at high speeds.
Hell yeah!! You're talking my language.

The the OP, what specifically are you hoping to do with your next bike. After 15 years you know what you want. With some more info we can provide better info to help you.
For me the 500x is lightweight, cheap, comfortable, has a good tank range and fuel economy. It looks good and fits me better than any of my other bikes.
My bad back and wrist are fine on this bike, so for me it's a keeper. whilst it's down on power, has bad wind buffering and bouncy but comfy rear suspension and soft front end but it's a good allrounder.
This bike is not rocket ship fast, power delivery is flat but enjoyable. It's not the perfect bike and is better on than off road but with some mods it could happily take you on genuine adventure
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Online kurth83

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 cb500x
  • City / Town: San Jose
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 12:15:42 AM »
I have the same problem, need upright position and gentle suspension for a the back.

If you are on a cruiser now, I think you will find the CB500X to be a big improvement in comfort in every way, except for the seat itself, I solved that with an Airhawk.  A corbin + airhawk might be even better.

My sense of the CB500X is it smooths out small bumps really well (I found this makes a bigger difference than how it handles large bumps, which it also handles decently).  My back get's killed if every small road imperfection is transmitted to the seat, I learned this from my recent and brief ownership of a Harley Street 750.

On the cb500X there is a certain bump size it is better to stand up for, even though it handles large bumps reasonably well, and lots better than a cruiser.

I recently shopped around for upgrades to the CB500X (I wanted a bigger engine with the comfiest ride I could find).  The gentlest suspension I ever had on a bike is the BMW F700GS, more pricey, but wow.  Some people complain it is a bit on the mushy side, yeah, just what the doctor ordered here.

The F700GS smooths out small road imperfections even better than the CB500X, and is noticably better on bigger bumps too.

I found it was really hard on a short test ride to determine if one bike is better than another.  Riding into the dealer on my old bike helped, it put a fixed frame of reference into my immediate memory.  I also found I had to pay attention to how it handled small bumps and how it handled large ones as they aren't consistent.

For example, a 2017 Tiger 800 XR (the only other bike I rode) handled large bumps noticably better than the CB500X, but for small bumps it was arguably worse, constant jiggles for every tiny bit of road, I knew my back wouldn't like that).  And I don't know enough about suspension to know if upgrades could fix that, so I bought the BMW.

What I learned from the BMW is that better suspension components do make a difference.  But I learned from the Harley that no amount of suspension upgrades can fix a bad geometry.

My suggestion is you need to ride them all.  That's what I did.

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 02:43:32 AM »
I cant boast about the great CB500x experience because I dont have oneyet. Supposed to be here next week...maybe. So why am I posting here? Because I was in your shoes, looking for the ONE right bike. Have owned (too) many. I looked at, thought about, considered about 15 different motorcycleslike seriously. What kept my deposit money in my pocket was realizingrealistically what each of these bikes would and would not do. Cost, weight, reliability, handling, maintenance, the list goes on and on. Right after each and every timeback to the CB500xbecause of what it CAN do. The can-do list is long and the folks here will tell you about everything on the list. After watching umpteen you-tube videos on this bikereading dozens of reviews3 timesplus all the travel costs to find THE bikeI put my money down on the CB500X.

All to sayif youve stayed with me and read this fardont be hasty in judging this bike. Dont abandon it too soon. I didnt and Im very glad I didnt. And you wont find a nicer, friendlier, more helpful forum than right here.

Dont know if Ive helped you or not. Hope so.  :440:  All that looking should help somebody.  :745:

Cheers.
Everywhere is within riding distance.

Online Arkridia

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Western NY
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 04:46:22 AM »
I am unable to test drive anything do to being winter right now. I am mainly looking for a bike I can travel country roads that are mostly gravel. I will not be doing any off road riding. The only off road is to a state park and to the camp site. They keep them well maintained for RV travelers, and it will have to be able to carry my tent and clothes for a week, I also have a small grill that I would need to take and a small bag of charcoal. The food will be packed on my friends bike. I usually travel between 100 to 200 miles a day. I find with the cruiser that is all my back allows. One other thing I do not need to go fast I have all day to get where I am going.
How does it handle on the interstate with semi passing you, can it keep up with traffic or does it struggle to go 80mph? Will it pass vehicles without lugging to bad, I am aware of down shifting but sometimes on interstate you have to be prepared to swerve to avoid accident and get out of the way?

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage