Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bye bye Honda and thanks for the miles!  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Ponzan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
Re: Bye bye Honda and thanks for the miles!
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 08:38:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
...This bike is best at exploring the (interesting and adventurous) smaller, slower, twisty state highways and small town... (roads).  It also makes a great commuter.  This is what I bought it for, commuting and back roads.  It excels in that environment.
totally agree :821:
Previous: NXR150, XRE300, DR400, XL500, scooters

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 03:42:26 AM »
My X and I have scant few non-commuting miles, maybe 5%. An occasional blast on the freeway is nice, but would get boring quickly. A great back road commuter it is. Not bad elsewhere either.

Offline faded_Glory

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2014
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 02:11:30 PM »
This morning I picked up my new Tracer, and as promised a couple of pictures:

New and old:

The Tracer:

I took it out on the road for an hour or so, and it is very nice. Although it weighs the same as the Honda it feels lighter and is definitely more sportier. At the same time it still feels comfortable, with the same upright riding position which these days is a must for me. The seat feels hard even though I went for the 'comfort seat', it will need a bit of breaking in and we'll see how it performs on longer trips.

Tomorrow I will spend some time mounting the extra bits I already got for it: pannier rack and top box carrier, bobbins, radiator guard and a fender extender. I will also get a hugger, the little bit of plastic that is on there now won't do much to keep the crud off the back of the bike.

Anyway, that would be info for a different forum, unfortunately I haven't found anything that comes near this great CB500X Forum. That at least is a loss from this change.

Online Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 02:27:27 PM »
Nice. You can feel a lot more power and torque?

I saw a used matt black one for sale at my Honda dealer a few months back, looked great, pictures don't do it justice. Was so tempted to get it as it was mint, only 3000 miles, touring screen, comfort seat, belly pan and heated grips for just 5495.

I resisted, but I'll be looking at the Tracer again I think come the summer.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:29:04 PM by Applecorp »

Offline Erik

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013-CB500XA
  • City / Town: Slovenia
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 06:23:50 PM »
@ faded_Glory, congrats you on purchasing a Tracer - it would be nice if, when you will started riding, that you describe the differences (+/-) more precisely compared to X. I also miss some HP and Tracer - on paper looks like an ideal bike - (I just dont like the front look of the windscreen and short exhaust) - how  is  with wind protection and wind noise compared to X? Cornering?

You are writing, that V-strom is heavier - it is that easy to feel that 20 kg extra (feel only while standing/maneuvering or also while riding? Is it because that extra weight or more because motorbikes geometry? Is it than more or less the same feeling, if V-strom has empty fuel tank vs. full tank on X (the weight is then the same)?

Thx, Erik

Offline faded_Glory

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »
Today I rode some 130 miles on the Tracer, a mix of motorway, A roads and country lanes. The weather was fairly cold, breezy but dry. Some observations:

- The bike feels really light under all conditions. In terms of bulk both bikes very similar. Pushing it is easy but the slightly taller seat makes paddling a bit more tricky.

- The seat height is a bit more than the Honda but I can still get both feet (just) flat on the ground. It feels a bit more cramped, the seat to peg distance is smaller, but then I lowered the pegs on my X. I don't think that will be possible on the Tracer because of the exhaust. The handlebars are fine, I put risers on the Honda but I don't think I will need those again, if they can even be fitted without having to faff about with the cabling. Like the Honda, the grips are designed for tiny Asian hands and I will fit Grip Puppies again, as I do on all my bikes.

- I have the 'comfort seat' which feels like a plank so I now wonder that the 'uncomfort seat' would be like! I really hope that it will get a bit better over time.

- The increase in power and torque is very noticeable, even though I can't yet take it above 5000 rpm the bike feels a lot more agile and nimble than the Honda. It also steers more quickly, very noticeably so on the country lanes. It is a joy to flick it about, definitely a sportier bike than the Honda. On the other hand it is a bit less stable on the motorway although the blustery wind did not throw it off course too much. Overall it is a pleasure to ride, and the stock Michelins give a lot of confidence - much better than the original tyres that came with my Honda (I think Pirelli? I hated them and changed them for Michelins at the first opportunity). There are no noticeable vibrations (up to 5000 rpm at least). I like the gearing better than on the Honda, which is too short. The Tracer's gearbox 'clicks' rather than the Honda's that 'clunks',  if you see what I mean (but I understand that younger X-es have a modified box that is less clunky).

- The suspension is no better or worse than the Honda. I had a RR fork upgrade on that and the stock Yamaha is not noticeable worse. Still, I am considering to upgrade both the shock and the forks, because I am planning to make long camping trips again with a lot of mountain and back road traveling in places where the road quality will be poor. If you just commute I am sure the stock suspension will be just fine.

- The screen is ok-ish, I don't have any buffetting which is good, but it doesn't block the wind very much. On the motorway it got quite windy around my head, but it is clean air. I may get a taller screen to see if that would make an improvement. On the Honda the buffetting was terrible (2014 model with the old screen) and I got myself a bracket to move the screen, which helped.

- The dash is ok. I like the standard gear indicator, on the X I had to fit an aftermarket thingy. At 70 mph the speedometer reads 5 mph too high compared to my GPS . The tachometer is a bit vague but servicable. As always, the lettering of the secondary information is too small for me to read, and changing the settings is fiddly - do I push left or right? Do I hold 1 or 2 or 3 seconds? Who knows? Can I even be bothered?

- This bike gets terribly filthy. On the Honda I had a fender extender and a hugger, I definitely need both on the Tracer as well. After half a day of riding the thing looks like a pig, covered in crud everywhere.

- I fitted Hepco Becker pannier racks and a top box rack, so I can keep using my existing luggage. All that came together very well in an hour or so of wrenching. I haven't ridden it with the luggage just yet. I think the pannier rack is wider so the cases will stand out a bit more, but the top box doesn't sit quite as far back as on the Honda.

It has been a few years since I had the Vstrom but that bike is definitely heavier and bulkier than both the CB500X and the Tracer. The only reason to go for the Suzuki imo would be if you do a lot of two-up riding, there is more room for the pillion and I suspect it would feel more comfortable and stable. A lot heavier though!
In my opinion the Vstrom is a bike from an earlier period and Suzuki need to re-design it completely to keep up with the times.

So there you have it. This bike will be a lot of fun just riding it. I hope that the slight loss of comfort over the X isn't going to hurt on my longer trips, but perhaps I just need to get used to it. I may take it on a fully loaded trip to Wales soon to clock up the 500 miles I need for the first service. Then, in June, I will go through France to Italy via Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily and back up through the boot. If the Tracer is as reliable as the Honda I will be happy.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:38:18 PM by faded_Glory »

Online Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 09:01:22 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Any issues with fuelling/throttle response? A guy I sub to on YouTube (The Chronicles of Mr Fish) said he found it very jerky and couldn't get on with it, also had a lot of corrosion issues through winter. This was a brand new bike.

He traded it in for (his second) CB500X.

Offline faded_Glory

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 09:06:39 PM »
I can't say that I have noticed anything off with the throttling.

These days I don't ride through the winter anymore, so hopefully I won't experience that issue. As I said, the bike gets very filthy very quickly so you would need to keep up with the cleaning.

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph T100
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »
Thanks for that, very useful for anyone wanting a bit more power than the "X" has available. Fully agree with your observations on the V Strom. I owned one and found it top heavy, tried one again recently after a few thousand miles on the Honda and found the Suzuki to be so top heavy as to be almost unwieldy.

Geoff.
Heated grips, gear position indicator, grip puppies, fenda extenda, tank protector, Michelin PR4's with "Tyre seal installed", shaved seat, rack and Givi Blade top box, rear hugger, sidestand plate, center stand, Hawk accessory bar with spotlights, Daneli mini soundbomb, Givi XS319 tanklock bag, loobman oiler, Evotech radiator guard, Fuel Micro Mini minus baffle and a liberal coating of Acf50 oh and a detachable sheepskin seat pad, lovely.

Offline Erik

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013-CB500XA
  • City / Town: Slovenia
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 08:50:12 PM »
@faded_Glory,   thank you  :047: for many useful informations and have a lot of fun when traveling to southern Italy - then you can write some additional feelings and comparisons with X.

Thx

Recent Topics