Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Deciding on Bikes  (Read 2309 times)

Offline uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Re: Deciding on Bikes
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 05:55:07 AM »
First, what made you decide on this bike?

No great insight here for you - an inexperienced rider, I crashed the bike on a test ride.

Second question, what mods have you had to do to make it comfortable for you.

None, other than heated grips for winter. I'm 5'10 and it suits me fine. I am thinking of a new windscreen (I have the larger Honda one) to try and contain the wind noise at higher speeds, however I've done a lot of kms over the past couple of years and it hasn't been a huge issue (I do, and always will, wear ear plugs anyway). The seat, for me, is very comfortable.

All other mods are things I'd put on almost any bike (e.g. radiator guard, centre stand, luggage racks).

Third question if you had to do it over would you buy this bike again if not why?

Yes. I've thought about other bikes, and have ridden a couple, but my bike offers so many advantages the others don't. Some points that I like include:

1) It is affordable (in fact, considerably less expensive than others out there) to both to buy and run. For the price, it can be purchased and fully optioned as you wish with some money left over compared to the unit cost of some other bikes. It uses 91 RON fuel, whereas competitors generally use 95 which is more expensive (I'm not miserly - this is a factor when you ride longer distances regularly) and its fuel economy is excellent, meaning that you have a healthy tank range (for comparisons, look at bikes on the fuelly.com website).

2) Service intervals are good. 12,000km between services, or 24,000km between major services. Recommended service intervals is a good thing to compare between bikes as they can vary greatly.

3) It is sufficiently powered to ride for long periods at higher speeds, without struggling. It will still overtake comfortably at speeds over 120kph.

4) It is incredibly well balanced, and light enough to navigate tight turns quickly and easily. It is 'flickable'. People say that it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. While I don't consider the bike to be slow, it is not a superbike and I can confirm that it is fun to play with.

5) The seating position is excellent. It gives a great field of view and is very comfortable. Also, even though it is styled along adventure bike lines, it is still quite slim. These two factors make it great for handling traffic and lane filtering. I only use my side panniers for really long trips, so they don't get in the way for winding through traffic.

6) Some people criticise the suspension, but I haven't been concerned by it. That can be a preference thing (influenced by nature of use). This is not a true adventure bike, and if you plan to take it seriously offroad you will need to make some mods, especially the suspension and wheels (they're road-oriented cast alloy and only 17" - an off-road rider might prefer 19").

How expensive are the parts to repair compared to say BMW or other bikes.

I can't say from experience, and suggest that you do your own research on this. Check on-line parts stores for different bikes and compare parts costs. You can also call up dealers and ask labour costs. However, skuttlebut is that BMWs can be expensive to repair.

Honda and Yamaha both have an excellent reputation for reliability and, if properly maintained with scheduled oil and filter changes (these jobs can be done yourself to keep costs down, and are very easy jobs) should last for years with no real trouble. Like all bikes, the valve clearances should also be checked regularly, and this is more of a time-consuming job for a mechanic. However, as I mentioned about, they only need to be checked every 24,000km.

How often do you have problems with the bike's engine or transmission?

I've done 123,000km now, and I've had no problem with either. The only issues that I've had are that a couple valves had to be adjusted - this happened twice - and my rear wheel bearing went (this is not something that I'd criticise the bike for - wheel bearings are generic parts). Oh yes, I also had a fork seal go but, again, there's nothing unique to this bike about that.

My bike now uses a little bit of oil between services, but not enough to concern me, and it's a really easy job to top it up. I generally check and top up about half way through a service cycle.

The 'agricultural' gear box doesn't seem that bad to me. I understand that the clunkiness that some people have commented about has been fixed by updating some minor parts in the gearbox on more recent bikes (there's an upgrade thread on this somewhere). I'm not bothered though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:05:52 AM by uku383 »
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline oldmopars

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Selah Wa
Re: Deciding on Bikes
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 12:47:39 AM »
I bought this bike because of the Rally Raid mods available. I wanted a bike I could take off road and still be able to do long hwy runs. I looked at the VStrom 650 and it was a storm contender and I still like it a lot. However, at the time there was not a lot is the way of upgrades for it and the price was about $2000 more. If I could have afforded it, I might have gone with the VStrom 650XT.
As for mods, Rally Raid level 2, bash plates, crash bars, hand guards, fat bars, lowered pegs, 2016 windscreen/custom mounts and the list goes on.
Would I buy it again, yes and no. I love the bike, but I am finding it difficult to find people to ride with. I moved and my riding buddy did not. We still ride, but not as often as I would like. BTW, he has same bike with almost the same mods maybe more.
The crowd where I am at now are mostly cruisers and so I may go that route someday.
The other downside is that my wife will not ride on this bike, does not feel same and she does not ride a bike herself. So, a different bike may come someday, but I do love the CBX, a great bike.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Selah Wa.
2015 CB500X, RR L2

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage