Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How can i improve feel/response of stock shock  (Read 1810 times)

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
Re: How can i improve feel/response of stock shock
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 07:40:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ponzan [+]
I don´t feel the preload adjustement will make the feel of the shock to change much unless your weigth is too far from the average. It didn't feel any better for me when I tried. I have another bike and the feel of the rear shock is soo much better without any preload adjustement. Is the quality or characteristics of the shock that makes the difference. But you may try.

You may very well be correct. I weigh 205 lbs without my gear on so I'm thinking I'm much more than what the average rider weight the suspension was designed for. I must say though after I set it I felt a nice improvement, especially offroad. This may also be down to expectations, I've never owned a well sprung bike so no real benchmark to compare against (ignorance is bliss  :008:). I bought this bike mainly due to its low cost so I can't see myself spending much money on the suspension, luckily for me I find it fine as is.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350

Riding Through the Fog

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 08:56:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon [+]
I bought this bike mainly due to its low cost so I can't see myself spending much money on the suspension, luckily for me I find it fine as is.
Same here.  As much as I would like a premium suspension for a better ride, I bought this bike to save money.  If money wasn't an issue there are other bikes I would have been more inclined to buy.  As it is, you can't beat this bike at this price point or anywhere near this price point.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline Ponzan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »
any way it seems appropriate to check the preload setting
I checked my suspension SAG (factory suspension and settings) and it was 50mm, and I weight 80kg!! came to 40mm after setting to max. preload (rear and back)
I guess it should be 30+- 5mm.
It does feel somewhat better though, may be subjective
CB500XA; XRE300; HJ125 scooter. Previous: NXR150, DR400, XL500

Offline pdmigs

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 10:47:48 AM »
I went camping last year. When I took my hands off the bars it wobbled pretty bad. I think it was too much weight too far back. I am 210 and had 60# of gear. I checked sag and adjusted shock to highest setting. Sag was barely 30 with just me. over 50 with gear. I am looking for a new shock. Thinking of the RR 1b but there are other options out there. I like the idea of a remote adjuster.

My main thing is will a good shock with correct spring help with the wobble when I am loaded? I am also going to shift some weight to the front in tank panniers.

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
You had 60 lbs of camping gear?  Were you staying for more than 2 weeks?  Maybe leave the kitchen sink at home and reduce the weight of the gear you are carrying?
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline pdmigs

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 03:32:22 PM »
I am planning for a longer trip so I pack for that. Testing different packing methods.  Maybe I have too much stuff. I understand light weight backpacking (for me, 30# pack at trailhead for 4 days out), and I was hoping on a bike to be able to carry more gear. You know tools, cast iron fry pan, etc... I should be able to carry 60# of gear. How much does a passenger weigh? The bike can carry 375# yes?
I hope with the correct spring and sag, and with the weight more centered forward it will minimize the wobble problem.

Offline Sweeper

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hartselle,AL
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 03:54:18 PM »
I was going to adjust the rear shock on mine until I found that it didn't come with the tool. The tools was about as much as buying a GSXR takeoff. I gave $35 shipped and it is by far the best money I've spent on the CB.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 12:48:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
You had 60 lbs of camping gear?  Were you staying for more than 2 weeks?  Maybe leave the kitchen sink at home and reduce the weight of the gear you are carrying?

I regularly carry 60lbs of gear. I don't buy ultralite gear plus I take extra clothing. The temps can get crazy in the mountains. I had head shake until I upped the preload. Then I blew the shock and installed the CBR600F4 shock. That took care of it but it's too stiff with all the adjustments backed off completely.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline dvorjan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
Interesting everything what you are saying.

I bought my cb500x (almost as a beginner) in 2014 and ride it since.
I started with a 3rd setting of the rear adjustment - as recommended by Honda... After awhile I realized  5th setting is much better for me and my 70 kgs (no more wobbling..). If I take my wife with me, I set it to 7th.
This changing of setting is annoying and not very convenient at all. I understand you can change rear shock (not to be too expensive - I ride 2k KM/year only), gaining easeir setting and better performance. Any reccomendation?   :187:
How do you change setting with RR1 ?

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by dvorjan [+]
Interesting everything what you are saying.

I bought my cb500x (almost as a beginner) in 2014 and ride it since.
I started with a 3rd setting of the rear adjustment - as recommended by Honda... After awhile I realized  5th setting is much better for me and my 70 kgs (no more wobbling..). If I take my wife with me, I set it to 7th.
This changing of setting is annoying and not very convenient at all. I understand you can change rear shock (not to be too expensive - I ride 2k KM/year only), gaining easeir setting and better performance. Any reccomendation?   :187:
How do you change setting with RR1 ?

The CB-X shock is the easiest to adjust as far as getting to the adjustment collar. Most aftermarket shocks have the adjustment up at the top of the shock and require two spanners to adjust. I can pull my shock out, clean it, adjust it, and reinstall it in about 15 minutes.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Recent Topics