Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lands end to John o'groats  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Other mike

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x Husky 350
  • City / Town: London
Lands end to John o'groats
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:03:45 PM »
Hi All,
I am fancying a bit of ride 500x from my home in South East London, to land End and then as far north a time and weather permit. I am thinking of doing this as light as I can. So spare pants, tooth brush and a credit  card. Tank bag and tail pack..... But perhaps a few comfort mods????

Has any one done this route themselves? I am thinking about 300 miles a day should cover it.

I am thinking of going up the left side of the country and down the right side?

Any info or expereinces greatly appreciated.

Othermike

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 in red
Re: Lands end to John o'groats
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »
Not done it myself, there's an option of a route:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bikers-Britain-Great-Motorbike-Rides/dp/0749573961

Personally I think in hours per day, not miles, as 300 miles on a motorway is a little over 4 hours, around the north west of Scotland it could easily be seven.

Hopefully you'll go to Dunnet Head which is actually the most northerly point on the UK mainland, and it's not mush of a detour to do the most westerly at Ardnamurchan light house. If you come back down the east side, I'd avoid the A9 south of Inverness and go via Tomintoul and Glenshee to Perth, much more inyteresting.

Offline Other mike

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 05:11:35 PM »
Thank you. Some great pointers there.

Online Mel111

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB5X 15 ABS RRS1
  • City / Town: Somerset Levels
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »
Try (Twisty rides route planner), it gives you 1 2 3 routes to choose from, starting with the best.

Offline Northman

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kinlochleven
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
One point worth considering when coming to the scottish highlands
Is timing ,from the end of May till end of September can be a nightmare with the dreaded midge.
On the other hand the roads are brilliant no matter which direction
You take ,and in the summer the RAIN is warm.

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:55:16 PM »
I did it a few years back. Live in Plymouth so went down to Lands End and back home in an afternoon. Next day was motorway to Dumfries. Rained all the way up.
Then spent a fantastic week going around the highlands in glorious sunshine.
Was riding a Honda ST1100 at the time with a tent and  my 10 year-old boy on the back.
Came back via the Lake district. Way too busy and the roads not good for overtaking. I would try the other side of the U.K. should I do it again.

How long have you got? Last year I spent a week going to Seven Oaks and back ! Taking the roads less travelled  :028:
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extender. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline Other mike

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:19 PM »
I have a week, maybe 8 days.

I friends in Exeter and south wales perhaps one or two in Scotland. So can do in some easy chunks. Easter though, traffic will be shocking, probably too many caravans to contemplate but..... I need a stop around or the Lake District I think......

Othermike

Offline Other mike

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
Hold it, did you say a week to Seven Oaks...... Tell me about the route you took?

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 01:07:55 PM »
It was there and back.
Leaving Plymouth after lunch, across Dartmoor to Exeter.
Then un named and B roads to Lyme Regis.
Got on the A35 having dinner at Eype then watching the sun set on the beach.
Strung up the hammock for a night at Bridport rest area (Cafe does a good breakfast).
More un named and B roads along the coast into the New Forest.
Some of these roads are so narrow and twisty that my speed sometimes drops below 20mph (just in case I meet a 4 wheeler coming the other way). Some may find this lack of progress frustrating but for me it is not about making progress. I enjoy being on the bike and these roads take me to sights few get to appreciate.
Up through the South Downs with a few cafe stops while the heavens opened (no wet weather gear!) and another night stop.
Day 3 spent in Seven Oaks getting the seat re-shaped. Good job there is a cafe on site.
Exploring some Kent lanes amongst red fields of poppies and purple fields of lavendar.
Day 4\5 making my way back. Same national parks but different roads.
Trip came to a premature end when I decided it would be good to use a road "unsuitable for motor vehicles"! It ran along Chesil beach and it started well as a hard packed dirt road.
Then started the pea shingle. Give it beans and allow momentum to carry me through. The stretches of this loose gravel got longer and longer. The end result was a burnt out clutch.
I had to push my little YBR to the carpark at the end. Thought I was going to have a coronary. Fortunately a couple of passing bikers gave me a hand. I did have another day of riding planned but it wasn't to be .
New clutch plates 22 and took me a couple of hours to strip and clean.

Added some photos to https://photos.cb500x.com/image/b5Lj
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extender. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 01:40:39 PM »
Some photo's from my trip to John O Groats to give you some ideas
Excuse the non CB500x. I think the order may have got a bit scrambled

B797_Wanlockhead

Inveruglas-Loch-Lomond

Falls-Of-Falloch

Bridge of Orchy

A82 - Glen Coe

Bridge Of Oich

Urquhart-Castle

B91767

A9

A99_Freswick

Stroma-View-Campsite

Dunnets-Head

A835-Ullapool

A835-Beinn-Dearg

A835_Loch-Glascarnoch

Falls-Of-Shin

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage