Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fork Oil Height  (Read 521 times)

Online Mark65

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Fork Oil Height
« on: February 19, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
Hi,
I have a thought, if i replace my fork springs and have to use longer spacers, do I assume as the spacers take up more volume inside my forks (as they will be thicker than the OEM ones) then I need to calculate that and remove it form the over all volume (in height), then most likely lower the oil level to account for it?.
Thanks
YBR125,CG125,CR300RA (deaded,chocolate crank), CB500F

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
Re: Fork Oil Height
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:58:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mark65 [+]
Hi,
I have a thought, if i replace my fork springs and have to use longer spacers, do I assume as the spacers take up more volume inside my forks (as they will be thicker than the OEM ones) then I need to calculate that and remove it form the over all volume (in height), then most likely lower the oil level to account for it?.
Thanks

The level of the oil is so low that the spring size or spacer size won't matter. The spacer is cut only enough to preload the springs to set suspension sag for your weight and set up.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:00:20 PM by EscCtrl »
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 03:15:08 AM »
You have slightly overthought that. :-)
No worries, just fill it to factory level.

Online Mark65

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »
Thanks, I am still debating whether to use the springs, my Honda springs measure 35.5mm and rattle in the tube the Ktech are 36mm which leaves about a 1mm gap all around and as im not sure about the spring expanding and binding on the inner surface. the best I can find is some literature saying springs need a minimum of 0.5mm around them. Any advice here would be appreciated. I will try and take some piccys tonight.

Update: Chris Taylor from Ktech confirmed they will be fine, which i thought was very helpful as I didn't buy them new.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:28:30 AM by Mark65 »
YBR125,CG125,CR300RA (deaded,chocolate crank), CB500F

Recent Topics