Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Tyres - Bl**dy hell!  (Read 2504 times)

Online uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Re: New Tyres - Bl**dy hell!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 01:59:43 AM »
A little tale for you.

On Sunday I went for a ride with a friend. He was on an R1 and as we rounded a corner his rear wheel suddenly lost traction, the bike bucked violently and he high-sided (we were not going fast). His helmet was toast from the face slide (full-face helmet... I'm a fan boy) and his engine casing was ripped open, causing oil to spill all over the road. He was lucky - only a broken collar bone and some ribs (as painful as that is).

Later inspection suggests that a banjo bolt had come loose from his rear brake assembly, causing his rear wheel to be covered in brake fluid, which seems to be the cause of the crash.

The point is (aside from sharing a story), it's a good idea to regularly check your bike over, as something as simple as a loose bolt can make any investment in tyres irrelevant. Having said that, I am sure that I will continue to be hopeless at doing regular checks on my bike.  :002:

Offline mrklunk

• CB500X Pro
  • Tango'd.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 09:38:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
A little tale for you.

On Sunday I went for a ride with a friend. He was on an R1 and as we rounded a corner his rear wheel suddenly lost traction, the bike bucked violently and he high-sided (we were not going fast). His helmet was toast from the face slide (full-face helmet... I'm a fan boy) and his engine casing was ripped open, causing oil to spill all over the road. He was lucky - only a broken collar bone and some ribs (as painful as that is).

Later inspection suggests that a banjo bolt had come loose from his rear brake assembly, causing his rear wheel to be covered in brake fluid, which seems to be the cause of the crash.

The point is (aside from sharing a story), it's a good idea to regularly check your bike over, as something as simple as a loose bolt can make any investment in tyres irrelevant. Having said that, I am sure that I will continue to be hopeless at doing regular checks on my bike.  :002:

Ouch. Lesson for us all there. Hope he gets well soon. Interestingly, the guy was struggling the replace the brake calliper on my rear wheel whils changing the tyres and after a few minutes of inspecting and swearing he found that the brake pad had not been seated properly (in the factory)? I said it's not something I'd expect from Honda and his reply was "well, your bike wasn't built in Japan remember".

Offline yort9990

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb500X
  • City / Town: Chiang Mai
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by mrklunk [+]
Ouch. Lesson for us all there. Hope he gets well soon. Interestingly, the guy was struggling the replace the brake calliper on my rear wheel whils changing the tyres and after a few minutes of inspecting and swearing he found that the brake pad had not been seated properly (in the factory)? I said it's not something I'd expect from Honda and his reply was "well, your bike wasn't built in Japan remember".
Haha I don't see the Honda 500X getting recalled like other makes and models right now. Your mechanic could've just been telling you a bullsh#t story because he looked like a dick not being able to do a simple task.  :745:

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph T100
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »

A distinct smell of BS here. Rear calliper is a tad tricky to relocate.

Geoff.
Heated grips, gear position indicator, grip puppies, fenda extenda, tank protector, Michelin PR4's with "Tyre seal installed", shaved seat, rack and Givi Blade top box, rear hugger, sidestand plate, center stand, Hawk accessory bar with spotlights, Daneli mini soundbomb, Givi XS319 tanklock bag, loobman oiler, Evotech radiator guard, Fuel Micro Mini minus baffle and a liberal coating of Acf50 oh and a detachable sheepskin seat pad, lovely.

Offline marcusfordus

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Pumpkin Orange
  • City / Town: Ashfield
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 03:14:10 PM »
New PR4's on order  :188:

I couldn't put up with solid rubber this morning whilst riding for the hell of it (no commuting today).
Recycled Hamster wheel handguards, SW-Motech centre stand, fender extender, heated grips, fork gators, Givi hugger, USB power outlet, long black adjustable levers, Givi QR tank bag, Wilbers stage 3 rear shock. Renthal 39t rear. PR4 tyres.

Offline mrklunk

• CB500X Pro
  • Tango'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by macamxthe1st [+]
A distinct smell of BS here. Rear calliper is a tad tricky to relocate.

Geoff.
Think is was the seating of the brake pad? I've no idea just passing on what he said. Good guy, only Michelin recognised dealer in my area and only does bikes. Anyhoo....just did 80 miles on them, such fun! :)

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 in red
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 04:35:34 PM »
Think is was the seating of the brake pad? I've no idea just passing on what he said. Good guy, only Michelin recognised dealer in my area and only does bikes. Anyhoo....just did 80 miles on them, such fun! :)

Is his first name Neil? If it is, then he changed my original non-stick tyres for some Roadsmarts last year.

Offline mrklunk

• CB500X Pro
  • Tango'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 04:51:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by John1411 [+]
Is his first name Neil? If it is, then he changed my original non-stick tyres for some Roadsmarts last year.

The very man! "non-stick" hilarious. Good guy and great price for the Road 5's.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 07:09:23 PM »
I think I'd need more than new tyres to ride safely around here at the moment - I was out in the car today, travelled from home to Balloch, onto the Loch Lomond road, over to Helensburgh then back through Dumbarton, and the roads - ALL of the roads, A roads and motorways - were in the worst condition I have ever seen, with deep potholes, ragged road edges, long trenches where the whole surface has disappeared, loose covers, just ATROCIOUS!!  :232:

I spent so much time trying to dodge wheel damaging holes rather than watching other traffic, that it was a really dangerous drive, and I despair about where our country is going.  :233:

I am just back from New Zealand and Australia - you guys should feel SO lucky with the roads you have there.  I am very jealous.....of the roads and the weather!  :156:

OK, rant over!!  :001:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Online Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 07:52:08 PM »
The roads really are appalling here, and it is a very sad indictment of the state of the UK, worrying times.

Recent Topics