Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi pannier frame / exhaust mod  (Read 1609 times)

Offline 4trakderek

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: LINCOLN
Givi pannier frame / exhaust mod
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:49:06 PM »
Hi Folks.   I have just bought a new bike & am getting it ready for the road on the 1st of March.
I fitted the Givi frames today (had to make a bracket for the bottom r/h side mount as it wouldn't fit to the silencer mount as in the instructions). I am wondering how to remove the silencer end cap to fit the exhaust angle attachment, it looks to me like it has 3 or 4 spot welds on it, I am assuming that these have to be drilled out & then the cap knocked off.  I thought it best to seek advice before I proceeded.
The Givi instructions are somewhat lacking in explanation.
Thanks in advance.
Derek

Offline glencoeman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
Re: Givi pannier frame / exhaust mod
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 06:36:28 PM »
Sounds like you have the 2017 onwards CB500X which has a different silencer to the models up to 2016. That is why you probably had trouble fitting the pannier frames on the lower right hand side. The silencer is totally different to the earlier models and the extension which goes on the back of the silencer (up to and including 2016 models) may not fit your bike if it is a 2017/18 model as it was an easy fit on my 2016 bike. I have looked at the Givi website and it appears that they have assumed the 2017 onwards model silencer/mounting is the same as the earlier bikes. Might be worth contacting Givi UK for more advice.

Offline 4trakderek

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:55:52 PM »
Thanks for your response, yes the bike is a 2017 model with the odd shaped silencer.  I suspected that as the frame didn't fit properly it might be for an earlier model.  I will send them an email but wont hold my breath for a reply as I sent them one a month ago when I ordered the bike asking for information on rear carriers & pannier frames & am still waiting for a reply.
I might have to resort to a bit of creative adaptation otherwise I will melt the bottom of the pannier.
Thanks again for your response.

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »
The muffler attachment point on the rear foot peg bracket is different from 2017 on.  Prior to 2017 the muffler attachment point is angled back a good inch or more.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:25:48 PM by SnowOwl »
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 09:42:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by 4trakderek [+]
Hi Folks.   I have just bought a new bike & am getting it ready for the road on the 1st of March.
I fitted the Givi frames today (had to make a bracket for the bottom r/h side mount as it wouldn't fit to the silencer mount as in the instructions). I am wondering how to remove the silencer end cap to fit the exhaust angle attachment, it looks to me like it has 3 or 4 spot welds on it, I am assuming that these have to be drilled out & then the cap knocked off.  I thought it best to seek advice before I proceeded.
The Givi instructions are somewhat lacking in explanation.
Thanks in advance.
Derek

I don't think the end cap is removable on 2017+ bikes. Here's a pic of my '14 and how I fitted the tip.

Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline 4trakderek

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 07:26:22 AM »
Many thanks. Seeing that picture it's given me an idea.
I won't do anything till I've had a reply from the Sports bike Shop where I bought the frame kit from though..

Offline 4trakderek

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 04:17:33 PM »
Had some response from The Sports bike shop today the dealer I bought the luggage frames from.
They have been talking to GIVI who say that there is a new kit for the bottom right hand side frame mounting under manufacture at the moment to enable the PL1121 pannier kit to be fitted to the 2017 CB500X.  The part number of this is KL1121KIT & should be available shortly.
On the subject of the exhaust tail piece they say that as the 2017 silencer is shorter than previous models it is not necessary to fit an extension on the exhaust to divert the gasses, I may well adapt the one to fit which came with my kit though, I cant use the bike till the 1st of March so it will give me something to play with.
Thanks to those of you who offered advice on this post, it is much appreciated.
One final note.  I can highly recommend "The Sports Bike Shop"  Boston Lincolnshire, they have bent over backwards to help me with these problems, absolutely FIRST CLASS service. 

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 06:20:33 PM »
You're welcome.

The 2017+ kit for the right side has been in process for a year now with nothing showing up from Givi or Kappa.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »
The kit is available. I got the Fowlers to supply and fit (Just before Christmas) when I ordered the bike

Bracket is approx 4mm thick and mounts to the exhaust hanger as well as the pillion footrest bolt

The exhaust outlet is just inboard of the pannier back

And approx 150mm below the rack

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:16:41 PM by rambrose »
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extender. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline 4trakderek

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
Thanks.  Have you had any problem with the exhaust heat affecting the base of the pannier?

Recent Topics