Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ohlins Rear Shock  (Read 3027 times)

Offline zoomnad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 18 CB500X/14 VFR
  • City / Town: Fairfield
Ohlins Rear Shock
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:51:51 PM »
I bought a rear Ohlins shock for my 2017 CB500X in the fall. With everything going on in life I just installed it last Friday. It was an easy install, maybe an hour. I left the factory settings intact as I will change it as I ride the bike more. Since it was cold (south Ohio) I just went down street and back to make sure everything was right. BTW, the torque spec is 44 newton meters or about 34 ft lbs on the bolts upper, lower, and the other link you take off. Note: pictures are rotated
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:56:10 PM by zoomnad »
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda"

Offline mrichi

• CB500X Member
  • mrichi
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
  • City / Town: TANUNDA STH AUST
Re: Ohlins Rear Shock
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:08:47 AM »
What is the model number of the Ohlins Shock you installed
Honda CB500X
Harley Dyna Super Glide Custom
1974 Honda CB500f
1973 Honda CB350f
Honda Super Magna

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
Looks good!  :152:

Please let us know how it feels once you get some miles on it.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline mactools22

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 CB500X-NO ABS
  • City / Town: va beach
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:10:32 PM »
this is the review I've been waiting for, are you using bike mostly on street or dirt?, part# please,  also where did you purchase it from

Offline zoomnad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
To answer some questions. The part number is HO 110021 and I bought the shock from Ohins. The shock has a different part number for the 2017 and up. I will let you know as the miles go by how it performs. I ride on the street and will put sticky tires in the future. I also plan the use Race Tech on the front. I am amazed how well the bike handles stock so with the mods, I will have a pocket rocket on the twisties!

Offline zoomnad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 09:33:43 AM »
Update#

A while (winter) back, I installed a Ohlins rear shock. Now I have got a chance to ride with it on. WOW!! Before, the stock shock, it would jar the fillings out of my teeth. Now the bumps are no where near as bad, a lot smoother, so to speak. And I have left the shock at the factory (Ohlins)settings, for now as a base line. The ride height and damping are adjustable so I will play with them at a latter date. Now, was this worth $650 bucks, yes to me but not for everyone can afford this much money.
I'm so happy with Ohlins, I am installing their front spring set (FSK118) today on my CB500X! Another $250 bucks and I will let you know how they work.
$900 bucks on suspension? Most say I'm crazy, and you might be right, but what a ride.... 

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 07:07:00 PM »
Set your suspension sag before tweaking the shock settings.

Offline NEDan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: south of Boston
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 12:20:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by zoomnad [+]
  Most say I'm crazy, and you might be right, but what a ride....
Your on the right track in my opinion. Most will spend $900 in farkels then sell their bike complaining the suspension sucked.
Your smart and fortunate. I wish I had the bucks.
I'm working on the budget GSXR suspension upgrade.
I'll make my bike pretty good.
You will make your bike fantastic to ride.
2017; 1+1/4" risers, grip puppies, center stand, Kickstand foot, Givi shield with Wunderlich wind deflector (copy),  mirror wideners, fender extenda, .....

Offline zoomnad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 09:44:12 AM »
Ohlins Update #2

There is nothing like a motorcycle suspension that is set up for your weigh and style of riding. NOTHING! Having the bike with Ohlins front and rear, I am on another bike made for me. The first thing I noticed was the bike sits firmer but as I rode it more I realized the bumps in the road disappeared. I road a route that I have taken many a time for comparison. Frost heaves on the road that used to upset the bike, jar my teeth, and give me a jolt in my ass were gone, control was back. My first 180 sweeper was at 35 mph (sign says 15) and it instilled confidence all the way! I noticed that my speed had increased as in other turns also. Braking was more firm as I set up for the turns, not as much dive in the front. AND this is all with Ohlins out of the box settings! I haven't set up sag and played with damping and preload front or rear! The CB500X a fun bike to start with  good handling, braking, and so so power. Am I happy, as a politician once said "you bet ya!"       

Offline Bradmeister

• CB500X Pro
  • Springs and Sprockets
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bangkok
Re: Ohlins Rear Shock upgraded to HO 705
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 05:42:06 AM »
 Dear Zoomnad,

Congrats on your decision to upgrade your stock suspension, an investment in a great ride, safety and performance.

Most people have forgotten that the rule to upgrading a suspension should never exceed 25% of the retail cost of the bike, so you pretty much won!

The Ohlins Shock that was HO 110021 has now been upgraded to HO 705, and is for the new M.Y.'s including 2019.

We are delighted to hear your shock (out of the box) was appropriate for your rider weight and purpose: would you share with our forum members what your weight is ATGATT?   As most need to purchase an additional Spring for they're correct spring rate!

The stock Spring comes in a Spring Rate of 11.2 Kg/mm, and Ohlins does make alternate springs for riders, (about 5 different spring rates) for heavier riders, 2up riders, and 2up plus cargo! 

We have sold several dozen of these shocks, as well as the front fork Kits to Military, Police, the weekend off road guy, and the touring groups here in Thailand.

Although we cannot get Ohlins to make one with a Remote Pre-load (it's just too tight in there) adjuster, setting up is relatively easy, and adjusting the rebound is a snap with a long allen wrench via the left side of the Bike.

Happy to hear about another rider, with the pursuit of ride, safety and performance on his CB500X!  Woot Woot
2009 BMW K1200 GT, 2013 Kawasaki 650 Ninja,
(2)2015 Honda CB500X, 2013 KTM 350 SXF, 2013 CBR250R
2014 KTM 250 SX, 2007 KTM 250 SXF
2013 Husqvarna 125 TE, 2014 Kawasaki 140L, 2015 125 MSX, 2016 Click125

Recent Topics