Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cb500x windshield  (Read 12692 times)

Offline Hotrod

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: LEICESTER
Cb500x windshield
« on: March 13, 2018, 01:38:49 AM »
Hi all
after reading many of the threads on here about buffeting and wind noise on the cb500x,  it seems that honda aren't that far out with their screen size and design after all,   maybe just a little either way when taking into consideration as to how many tall screens have been mentioned on here by owners of pre and post 2016 model x's  trying to eliminate buffeting to no avail,   when the answer is a simple change to the angle of the screen,   to better disperse the flow around rider,   the 13 to 15 screen is more of a shorter sporty angled screen and the 16 on is a more upright taller screen,  I have had custom, sports and trail bikes,  and none of the for mentioned have given me head trauma like the 2016 cb500x did with the screen in the high position!!  Since lowering the screen things got better,  so i thought I'd take it one step further,   and bought an mra vario touring screen which is slightly shorter and wider,  first trying it on the highest setting and with the spoiler up,  it was better !! but when i lowered the height and put the spoiler so that it was parallel to the screen,   it was much better!!   even up and down the motorway,   I'm 5-11  and have a caberg duke flip, i hope this is of some help
good luck guys

Offline retmotor

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cb500x windshield
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 04:28:55 AM »
Your experience and mine is similar enough that I'll take a hard look at that MRA. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Hotrod

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »
Hi Retmotor
Your welcome
There's only one more thing that I'd like to try, and that's the palmer brackets, just so that it would put my mind to rest as to whether I've actually got the very best position, because I haven't got the patience for this spacers and washers lark, but those brackets are like these aftermarket screens.... not cheap plus they lift the screen off the bodywork a little too much in my opinion!! And just to find out that It doesn't make that much difference would not impress me at all lol, so I believe that patience is the key, if a set come along at the right price I will consider the experiment
Good day guys

Offline retmotor

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 12:09:24 AM »
I looked at the Palmer too. I like the idea of dropping the screen when off road. Who wants to be throat punched by their own screen?

Agreed with positioning too. I found better results pushing the top of the screen forward which is opposite of what Ive read on the forum.  Itd be nice to experiment easily without losing fasteners in your gravel driveway. 

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:00:35 AM »
Windscreens are tough. Everyone is a different size and it does take patience to get one that fits you correctly. +1 for the Palmer bracket. It offers a wide range of adjustability and you never know what you're missing until you try it. I would imagine you could recoup quite a bit on it if you decided to sell it on the forums if it doesn't work out.

Offline Hotrod

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 01:14:42 PM »
I've been doing a lot of reading,  riding and watching you tube vids on the subject of the cb500x screen buffeting problem,   and it seems like quite a few think that bigger is bettter!!   But when i think back, I've had quite a few ( different bikes ) in the past,   and ridden at speeds in excess of 30mph 😨 probably no different to anybody else on this forum,   but now just have my ultra reliable cbf125 with yes you know it,,,,,, a very small screen with a nose cone,   and the for mentioned 2016 cb500x, and I've never sufffered head trauma with any other bike apart from the 500x with the oem screen on its highest setting!!!  And i've been on the motorways with the cbf125 at 65 - 70 mph poor little thing many times before i got the x,   in December rubbish windy cold weather,   and all i felt was just good constant  clean wind, which is what any savvy biker would expect,  if any one's interested!!! THE BIKE SHOW  BMW 310 GS  FULL TEST watch this video on you tube and see how small the screen is on this adventure bike that he's riding!! it has a similar geometry to the 500x, listen to what he says at the end
Good day guys

Offline Chainlink

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Deepest Wessex
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »
Good point Hotrod. I had a CBF125  and I don't remember any buffeting or excessive wind noise at speed (mind you, to get 70mph on the level I was flat on the tank!). Like you say, it only has a tiny windshield so it's true what they say; 'size doesn't matter'.

Offline Hotrod

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »
Hi Chain link
My little cbf125 apart from the petrol pump problem,  which occurred on both my 2010 and 2013 models,  and was replaced under warranty!!  gives really good engine performance,  it easily sits at about 8500 rpm when doing approximately 70mph,  when those speeds are permitted on the motorways of course!!  I have to watch it because i will give more but because of it being an air cooled engine,  8500 rpm for just shy of 100 miles constantly is a bit too much to ask in my opinion,  hence i bought the 500x but never expected the violent head trauma that i experienced when i first reached motorway speeds on it!!  ~Wow~  that was something else,  but the little mra vario touring screen has cured that in a big way on the lower setting and looks pretty cool too,  i still ride my cbf125,  it's so light and easy to ride,  and takes the word economy to a whole new level of approximately 400 miles to a tank filled right up to the cap,  i had a vtr1000 and that only used to do approximately 90 - 100 miles to a tank 😨 seriously!!  always having look out for petrol stations,  i think that the 500x does approximately 300 miles on tank full +/- ??

Online jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 03:39:59 PM »
My solution was to remove the windscreen and braces.

John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Hotrod

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 03:50:37 PM »
I remember reading a thread which mentioned doing that, so apart from altering the bike's asthetics, how has is it altered the bike's characteristics ?

Recent Topics