Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Standard rear shock  (Read 1107 times)

Offline WSJMK04

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ayr
Standard rear shock
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »
Can anyone give me a quick pointer as to what this "index marker " on the rear shock looks like . I cant see anything on mine other than very light discolouration due to corrosion . (2014) Many thanks.

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
Re: Standard rear shock
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »
Its just a small black dot that's easily missed. Poor design on Honda's part, not sure why they never made it more clear, especially when they state that you can damage the shock if you jump from 1 to 9. Here is a picture I took of mine a year or two ago (picture taken from left side of bike).

'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350

Riding Through the Fog

Offline WSJMK04

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »
Thanks . Here's me looking for a letter or number stamped into the metal . I'll get the microscope out now and look for some faded remains of a paintspot .

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
The spot on mine is more a red-ish/orange-ish color.  As for the "don't let it jump from 9 to 1", the detents are not that easy to determine and you will invariably go past the end and it will jump.  I've done it several times as have others and the shock was not damage.  I don't see how you will damage it since it is just jumping a larger step than the other steps and it is just the spring moving.  This can't be any worse than some of the pot holes I've hit and I don't see how it will damage the internals any.  Seems the warning is just Honda CYA.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline WSJMK04

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 05:38:25 PM »
After 4 years nothing to see. So spent an afternoon removing shock to determine positions ,  mark with white paint and while I was in there greased all those roller bearings that get neglected , crashing from 9 back to 1 didn't kill anything and I feel quite pleased about it .Thanks guys .

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Pro
  • Let's Ride Enjoying the outdoors aboard the CBX
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »
SnowOwl
I thought I was the only one that found one was by going all the way around. 7 is my preferred setting on the rear.

Offline mcsaba

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Budapest
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 08:20:16 PM »
I need some advise in regards to rear suspension settings for my 2013 X. I am not sure I can spot the index mark properly. Have checked it in excellent lighting conditions (sun) using mirrors, but still unsure if this is the mark I am after. Is this the one? (it is right above the bolt on the left side where position 3 should be)

Second advise I need is on the setting itself. I am 83kg w/o gears so I suppose I should set the rear suspension to the 7,8,9 range. The 2013 model does not have front suspension adjustment option so I wonder if e.g. setting 8 at the rear and no adjustment in the front is ok? Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 08:26:36 AM »
Szia Csaba, and welcome to the forums.
Instead of trying to set the rear shock to a certain setting, I'd start by measuring sag and try to dial it in. I have as I run a Rally Raid setup, I have a stock shock lying around somewhere so I'll check ho the identation looks.
Also an ebay special fork preload adjuater costs almost nothing and really helps in dialing in the proper amount of sag at the front.
Shoot me a PM with your contacts if you want and we can meet up.

Recent Topics