Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thoughts on my gear  (Read 1418 times)

Offline OinGloin

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Sunnyvale
Thoughts on my gear
« on: March 14, 2018, 05:49:28 AM »
I bought my first bike for commuting to work, and I wanted to get your thoughts on the gear I purchased. Not sure if this is the most suitable gear. I do not plan on riding in rain. I live in California where the temperate can range from 40F to 90F depending upon the season. Usually it's between 60F to 70F. If you have used any of this gear I would appreciate your feedback.

Icon D3O Evo Pro Shoulder, Elbow, Knee, Back armor
Scorpion R710 helment
Held Airstream 2 Gloves
TCX X-Blend H2O Boots
S&S Richmond Jacket
Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Pants
Scorpion SAS-TEC knee, hip armor
Scorpion Covert Jeans

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:56:38 AM by OinGloin »

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: Thoughts on my gear
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:38:46 AM »
When I commuted into Glasgow in the '70's, I wore my office clothes, even down to the collar and tie, polished shoes, no gloves, with (occasionally) a fake flying jacket if it was really chilly.

You're kit looks fine to me!!  :112:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
I have found my Aerostich Darien jacket to be very versatile with a fleece zip-up sweatshirt as a liner.  I have also toured with a mesh jacket, the fleece sweatshirt, and a FroggTogg rainsuit.

The warning is that I am an old curmudgeon who started riding in 1960, after graduating high school, and my safety requirements seem to be my Shoei helmet, adequate boots (I use Sidi Adventure Rain for off-road and touring, but leather work boots around town), and leather work gloves.  Not much and not fancy, but, it has worked for me.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Pro
  • Let's Ride Enjoying the outdoors aboard the CBX
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 04:45:10 PM »
Sound like you have covered your self. I have a First Gear one-piece suit I use to commute to keep the tie dry LOL

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph T100
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 05:12:16 PM »
As a very, very poor student in the late sixty's, secondhand leaky Barbour jacket with a newspaper stuffed down the front if it was very cold. If it was cold and wet it got a little messy. Army surplus store fireman's boots with sea socks. Welders gauntlets and if it was really wet then a Stadium helmet to keep one's bonce dry.

Geoff.
Heated grips, gear position indicator, grip puppies, fenda extenda, tank protector, Michelin PR4's with "Tyre seal installed", shaved seat, rack and Givi Blade top box, rear hugger, sidestand plate, center stand, Hawk accessory bar with spotlights, Daneli mini soundbomb, Givi XS319 tanklock bag, loobman oiler, Evotech radiator guard, Fuel Micro Mini minus baffle and a liberal coating of Acf50 oh and a detachable sheepskin seat pad, lovely.

Offline oldmopars

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Selah Wa
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 07:38:54 PM »
I think your doing great. Many people will wear as little as they can get away with. Its great that you have purchased quality gear to protect yourself, good choice.
Everything is a compromise, no gear is perfect, even the super high $$$ stuff. Get the best you can afford, see what works, upgrade when you find that something you have does not work anymore. And, bottom line, anything is better than nothing.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Selah Wa.
2015 CB500X, RR L2

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by oldmopars [+]
I think your doing great. Many people will wear as little as they can get away with. Its great that you have purchased quality gear to protect yourself, good choice.
Everything is a compromise, no gear is perfect, even the super high $$$ stuff. Get the best you can afford, see what works, upgrade when you find that something you have does not work anymore. And, bottom line, anything is better than nothing.
:460:
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline sandbox

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Florida
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 01:09:31 AM »
Wow!

You're in great shape for starts. All that's left now is fine tuning as you go.

My biggest street gear revelation in the last xx years has been using a quality dualsport helmet. The difference in field of view is night/day from a pure street helmet.

Can always remove the visor on most DS lids if wind buffeting's an issue.

Found a great deal on a Shark speed-r street helmet a few years ago during bike week in Daytona.

It looks ded sexy...and i used it a few times for the work commute...but it's mostly been sitting on the shelf as it just feels claustrophobic now that I've adjusted to the wide view of a DS lid. -Cheers

Recent Topics