Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New L2 Suspension, click sound on front fork compression  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Kerrmitt

• CB500X Member
  • It's not easy being green
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X RR 3
  • City / Town: Auburn, CA
Re: New L2 Suspension, click sound on front fork compression
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 03:23:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ceddy17 [+]
Yep,
Keith Richards did something similar with a stick before a concert...
Worked most of the time...
Ed.

It helps if you hold your tongue just so...
2013 Rally Raid Level 3 CB500X

Sendin' it like FedEx

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2019, 07:42:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Final Update

Removed the fork cap today and inspected. Removed the spring and spun it over my head 3x clockwise while singing show tunes. I then reinstalled it. Somewhere it wasn't seated properly.

Clicking is gone. What a relief.

I reckon I could sing the entire back catalogue of Andrew Lloyd Weber and it would still click....I can't physically centre the damper rod, valve, spacer and spring any better than I have...it remains a mystery, worthy of a PD James short...."The stanchion that ticked"

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 12:29:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I reckon I could sing the entire back catalogue of Andrew Lloyd Weber and it would still click....I can't physically centre the damper rod, valve, spacer and spring any better than I have...it remains a mystery, worthy of a PD James short...."The stanchion that ticked"

I can't imagine. I was ready to tear the entire thing down yesterday if need be. Fortunately it didn't come to that.

Does your kit have that little plastic insert between the spacer and the spring? Page 5 of the RR Fork instructions PDF.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 11:11:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
I can't imagine. I was ready to tear the entire thing down yesterday if need be. Fortunately it didn't come to that.

Does your kit have that little plastic insert between the spacer and the spring? Page 5 of the RR Fork instructions PDF.

Yep...it's all there, in place, as described in the instructions. When fitting the damper rods, I noticed that I could centralize them when loose but when I started to tighten the retaining bolts, the rods would shift slightly. On the first build I noticed a spring scrape and click from the right leg.... :084: Stripped the fork down and rebuilt using fork spring tension to hold the damper rod in place...Still scraping.... :013:
Next,  I made a 'centralizing tool' from a long piece of dowel and an aheadset top cap (from a pushbike) which locates perfectly into the top of the damper rod recess...the rods couldn't be more central! Took pics to verify....Rebuilt....still scraping....and clicking :232: 

Emailed RR but didn't get a response, so came on here and the adv forum to see if it was a common problem. Had various replies, including 'operator error' ( :033:) steering headbearings and bedding in....If 'bedding in' means wearing the inside of the fork stanchion and contaminating the oil then it begs a question.

I'm not questioning the quality of the product as such, since loads of folk have fitted the L1 and L2 kit without issue, but I do wonder whether it's a tolerance thing....a few thou+ on a long spring deflecting inside a stanchion won't take much...it could even be the stock stanchion itself, who knows?

I'll try again in due course....

and before someone suggests it....yes, I've substituted the springs & components in each leg, in various combinations  :001:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:14:04 AM by Jonathan »

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2019, 03:35:32 PM »
Sounds like youve gone through it all. Wow. And its just that one leg? Maybe look for a second hand one on eBay and give it a go?

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 11:07:38 PM »
Just an update here. Spent 2 weeks on the road in Guatemala. Hit the trails pretty hard and put the RR L2 suspension to work. The click is back. I'm going to pull the leg off next week to see what's up.

I will have to say that I looked at the underside of the OEM caps and you can see that there is a captive cup to center the spring. The adjutbale RR caps have a flat plate that the spring rests against. Nothing to center it. I can't say that this is the culprit, as only one leg on my bike  is making the sound. But, perhaps it is.

Will post findings after I have at it.

Recent Topics