Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: are jeans/denim good enough for country road commuting, little traffic  (Read 3921 times)

Offline woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MY18 CB500XA
  • City / Town: The Fens
Re: are jeans/denim good enough for country road commuting, little traffic
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »
Realised there is no hip armour in my CE2 approved RST textile trousers  :187: order today for £12 :028: pleased I read through this thread  :002:

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: are jeans/denim good enough for country road commuting, little traffic
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 04:53:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
I agree with the other posts.  Denim jeans arenít any better than wearing shorts, no impact or a abrasion protection.  Denim is not abrasion resistant at all.  If you go down in denim you WILL be picking out gravel and growing back new skin.  It takes a long time to grow back and is very painful.

But, it is your choice.  Are you willing to risk the pain and suffering and disability time and possible permanent physical damage/disfigurement.  Or are your willing to put up with a little inconvenience of putting on and taking off some protective gear?  Itís kind of like wearing a seatbelt in a car.  Once you get into the habit of using the protective gear it wonít be a big deal and you wonít feel right without it.  Another advantage to wearing the gear, if you get the right stuff you will have rain protection if you get caught out in it.

I agree with this - it's all about assessing the risk and acting accordingly with regard to what works for you... and certainly in the instance of the OP - if you're riding to work every day then the risk is infinitely greater than the odd trip to the shop in your jeans and sneakers...

If you are talking about regular jeans (so you don't have to change at your destination) then yes, they have little protection (but I'd argue are actually a little better then wearing shorts ;o), and if you're going to be buying armoured/kevlar jeans (that you need to change out of anyway) then you might as well get some proper pants that waterproof too...

Something like the Icon DKR parts are good as you can wear them on their own as 'adventure' pants, but they are baggy enough to go over regular denim jeans too, so you can layer up for the ride to work and they come off really quickly when you get there (full length leg zips on the inner seam).

Something to consider while you contemplate which oil and tyres to choose too ;o)

Jenny x

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage