Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Radiators and Chains  (Read 1340 times)

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Radiators and Chains
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:46:13 AM »
A strange combination for a post, but both need looking after!

Radiator - just fitted my Beowolf radiator guard, bought at last week's motorbike show - nice bit of stainless steel, fitted easily and looks great!

Chain - AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!  I hate chain maintenance, is there not a better way?  I almost thought of buying a Moto Guzzi V7 just to have shaft drive, and I know Harley and Hyosung fit toothed belts to their cruisers.......is there anything else out there?! Anyway that's it done......again.  :009:

The Story So Far.........

Offline uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Re: Radiators and Chains
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
That rad guard looks... well, rad! Very nice indeed.

Perhaps even more striking though, is how clean your bike is. I feel ashamed.  :062:

Offline Chainlink

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deepest Wessex
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:27 PM »
My mate has just bought a s/h BMW K1300S to replace his VFR 800 and to hear him moan you'd think he'd done it solely because he hates chain maintenance so much.

Like the look of the radiator guard. I've started to look at these as I'm a bit concerned about the amount of crud that gets thrown into my rad even in normal road use. How much work was involved in fitting it?

Offline Ash500x

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500x
  • City / Town: Derby, Uk
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »
Thats just reminded me, must get in the garage and fit my Rad guard that i brought from Evotech about a month ago.

With using the bike through winter i wanted a shaft / belt drive, as time cleaning & lubing the chain is horrilable out in the cold garage.
The thing i found that the shaft drive stuff seems to be on the larger bikes and out of my price range. The Harley Street is belt drive and their cheapest model, i do like the look of it but didn't want a cruiser style bike for my first.

Honda Crosstourer 800 is chain but the 1200 version is shaft, which is too big of a bike for my needs.

Think i will train the kids to do my chain care and give them 0.50 pocket money for doing it.

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph T100
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 03:31:06 PM »
I fitted an Evotec a few months ago and a quality bit of kit it is to. Being a complete numpty I did not read the instructions properly and took of both radiator side trims when in fact only one requires removal, doh. I too detest chain maintenance and have tried many many different "solutions "over the years. Nothing is anywhere near perfect but the best compromise for me is 20 quids worth of Loobman and 90 weight oil,as I say far from perfect but adequate, simple and cheap (in a good way).

Geoff.
Heated grips, gear position indicator, grip puppies, fenda extenda, tank protector, Michelin PR4's with "Tyre seal installed", shaved seat, rack and Givi Blade top box, rear hugger, sidestand plate, center stand, Hawk accessory bar with spotlights, Daneli mini soundbomb, Givi XS319 tanklock bag, loobman oiler, Evotech radiator guard, Fuel Micro Mini minus baffle and a liberal coating of Acf50 oh and a detachable sheepskin seat pad, lovely.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chainlink [+]
My mate has just bought a s/h BMW K1300S to replace his VFR 800 and to hear him moan you'd think he'd done it solely because he hates chain maintenance so much.

Like the look of the radiator guard. I've started to look at these as I'm a bit concerned about the amount of crud that gets thrown into my rad even in normal road use. How much work was involved in fitting it?

Took no time at all - the two allen key screws at the bottom come out and the lugs on the guard are slotted in behind the plastic trim while two lugs on the top clip onto the lip of the radiator.  Replace the screws and job done.  The guard has some rubber strips on the back to keep the metal off the radiator.

Very easy.

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by macamxthe1st [+]
I fitted an Evotec a few months ago and a quality bit of kit it is to. Being a complete numpty I did not read the instructions properly and took of both radiator side trims when in fact only one requires removal, doh. I too detest chain maintenance and have tried many many different "solutions "over the years. Nothing is anywhere near perfect but the best compromise for me is 20 quids worth of Loobman and 90 weight oil,as I say far from perfect but adequate, simple and cheap (in a good way).

I have the Evotec radiator cover as well ,good bit of kit,like every thing they make, not cheap but all ways well done.

Superplasma.

Geoff.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 05:10:02 PM »
Of course - we'd avoid chain maintenance if the chain was enclosed.....here are the 'latest' Jawa 350 2-strokes, which still have an enclosed rear sprocket and the chain running in rubber 'tubes'.

Of course the first thing we'd do is take that gubbins off!!

:169:

And yes, Jawas are still available in the UK - the modern version, the original Retro 350 2-stroke and a new 350 OHV single.  Mahindra in India have bought Jawa (and BSA), but they are still made in Czechoslovakia at the moment.  I have such a soft spot for the Retro model, I've had two.....and I know they're not great, but that lazy old 2-stroke twin......   :189:  http://www.jawamotorcycles.co.uk/models.html

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »
And of course there was the MZ range of 'proper' bikes that had enclosed chain guards [that worked very well]

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:38:25 PM »
According to a blog I saw, MZ was the only bike a Jawa owner could feel superior to!!  :007:

You know I'm just kidding around, don't you!?!  :034:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:44:54 PM by AJC500 »

Recent Topics