Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Abs ring corrosion.  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Abs ring corrosion.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 08:05:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mobydick [+]
Before reading this post i just started a new one exactly on the same subject.
Last week when i was cleaning my bike (17 model), noticed that the front abs disc show some rust. I was very surprised because it has only 1400 km, bought it last February, never went off road, never ride it under rain, only 2 washes, it sleeps in a garage. OK, I live close to the sea, but not exactly on the beach.

It seems that the problem will growth.

Best regards.

I think I've mentioned this in another post, but realistically, X owners have to face up to the fact that these bikes are built to a price. Compare them to similarly priced new machines from other manufacturers and there's not a lot between them as far as finish quality is concerned. If you want a bike that looks as good as it did ten years from now, you'll have to look elsewhere unfortunately. Even manufacturers like BMW with a strong reputation for build quality are cheaping out on finish...15K bikes with 20,000 miles and flaking engine paint and powdery alloy is p*ss poor by my reckoning. Japanese built bikes form the 90's to early 2000's are about as good as it gets for finish, especially when you consider that many of these were daily rides and many are still bearing up well after nearly two decades. If manufacturers are driven to cut production costs in order to flog more units, the first thing to go, apart from workers' wages, is longevity and this is reflected directly in the thickness of paint, the quality of the welds, the types of materials used, fastener quality and all those things we've come to expect from Japanese bikes. Chinese bikes will be the way to go in a year or two. They're already knocking on the door, and it's only a matter of time before they surpass the usual suspects from a build quality standpoint. It's happened throughout the bike industry's history...Sunbeam and Vincent spring to mind

Offline Mobydick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 18 stock CB500X
  • City / Town: Lea da Palmeira
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »
That's a fact,  we need to take care of our toys. Cleaning and polishing is part of the fun.
 :047:

Offline Pocketpete

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2017
  • City / Town: Gee Cross
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »
Mines a 2016 I'm a pretty avid cleaner. Regular polishing and adjusting. I use muc off cleaner followed by William's waterless wash and wax. Then mu94 to finish and before winter usually a bit of acf 50.

I use my bike for a short commute through British winters. My abs rings are rusty. Various bolts are rusty bits of frame are rusty. Pannier carriers rusty. Horn rusty.

It's not the worse bike for rust but certainly not the best.

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 08:04:47 PM »
The ABS rings on mine also had rust and was starting to get serious ( bike had 34000km when I bought it). I cleaned it down and the ring has been painted with top coat only. NO undercoat or etch primer and non passivated finish.
Stripped it, sanded it, phosphated it and the etch primer, primer and flat black acrylic (x2).
Easy job. Don't fuss the slots . If you use decent stripper it will get the old paint, then blast it with a hose.
The hardest part is undoing the bolts. Careful.
That was 8 months ago and it has stayed rustless.

Recent Topics