Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: the start of making it mine  (Read 17338 times)

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Newport
the start of making it mine
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:54:14 PM »
thought I would share the modifications I do in the hope it might help others like you have helped me.

mod one a simple fender extender its held on with automotive adhesive

mod two a poorly fitted tank pad

mod three cbr250 rear hugger this one I searched on here for how to fit it but I changed how the front mounting on the chain side is fitted

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
Re: the start of making it mine
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 08:55:28 PM »
disc side, the bracket is a bit of landrover seatbox I also sanded about 1 or 2 mm of the lower edge of this side of the hugger to allow for the extra height of the brake brake pipe brackets it really needs 3mm sanded off but got fed up sanding it.

front mount the cbr250 hugger has a new hole drilled in it which slides over the original chain guard post with a piece of rubber tube either side keeping it square it sits in the centre of the tyre.

mmm writing is a bit small I notice will have to make it bigger

another view of the new mounting and the old cbr250 hole just below it

I will post up the big mod 4 Thailand rear rack tomorrow but be warned theres a lot of pictures

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 09:34:24 AM »
been wanting this for ages and I have read all the posts about fitting it, i also watched the video on youtube by Chaoticdetour , so I did some searching on ebay and found one it took a week to get to the uk from Thailand with the usual customs charge (23 weren't bad).
 I did the Chaoticdetour method of griding it, i was getting to the point of it being to thin in places so I made up some spacers to see how much more metal needed to be removed and I didn't like how much would be left, a little rebuilding with the welder and it looked like I hadn't touched it with the grinder.

looking at the brackets I could see they both needed to be reshaped/rebent where they bolt onto the rear subframe so they follow the same shape as the underside of the grab handles, time for the cutting disc then this how they looked after some careful cutting (remember measure twice cut once)
and a little tap with a hammer and drift.

(writing says 2nd attempt after repairing the damage I did 1st time)

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 09:49:16 AM »
two more from different angles

this is how it looks on the bike you can see how much higher it needs to be just to clear the bodywork (do they cut the bodywork in Thailand)

(red writing liking how this looks)

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 12:28:35 PM »
one more on the bike before welding

after welding both sides

would be 2 pics but cant get this one to work.
this pic keeps up internal server error on website cannot display page so I have left the end off the code
[img]https://cdn.img.cb500x.com/DSC_0172.jpg[/img

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 12:52:00 PM »
after some cleaning up with the flapper disc and few coats of paint the bracket looks like this.

this is it now all fitted to the bike. I really need to make the writing a lot bigger in the pictures
green circles: had to file out both corners of the bracket to clear the bodywork.
red circles: i used a pillar drill with a carbide bit in it to cut away the raised sections on the underside of the grab handles to lower them im tempted to take more off and will probably reshape the rack brackets so they are a similar shape to the grab handles.
blue circles: I also have to file these pieces down by a minimum of 2mm and reattach the bits of rubber so my seat isn't resting on them.

the kit comes with 4 nuts and bolts, 2 metal washers and 4 rubber washers.
the metal washers I placed under the front grab handle bracket and the 4 rubbers washers I placed between the rack brackets and the rack plate so they take up any misalignment

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »
this shows how much room there is between the grab handles the bracket and the plastics

there is another Thailand rack out there which is similar to this one but it looks like its for sw motech boxes to fit it has 3 bolt holes in the middle and that funny shape hole,
it also has the same arms but they a bent where the are bolted on the bike to, similar to how I altered mine to clear the cast fixings and plastics,
i think my one is for givi mono key boxes if you buy the fitting kit from givi 30 or you could have a go at making it so the box fits directly to the plate

this is just to show  that a mammoth disc lock slides snugly over the rear foot rest hanger and doesn't move at all when riding not a rattle

that's it for now I have got a cheap and cheerful top box coming until I do get a more adventure styled one.
enjoy
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:37:50 PM by Perfictsib »

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
Congrats on getting that rear rack to work on your bike.  I also got one of that exact type and after messing with it for too long and it not fitting as advertised I returned it for a refund.  I admire your persistence in modifying it to actually work for this bike.  I didn't have the time or patience to go to that extreme.  I felt for what I paid for the thing it should fit as advertised without having to mod it.  I ended up going with the Givi rails and mounting plate.  Granted I had to take the grab handles off, but I haven't missed them.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 05:28:06 PM »
I love these build threads and especially your DIY approach. Keep it coming! And post a pic of the bike in total. I haven't seen an orange CB500X!

:062:

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:57:30 PM »
Cheers SnowOwl the rack is a love hate thing. I love how it looks but I hate it for having to do what I did. It's a shame really it wouldn't be hard for them to put a couple of bends in the brackets to make it fit tidy, I will try and find the other Thailand rack and post it up on here so you can see it.

ThirtyOne there will be more building and diy happening to my bike I haven't finished with the rack yet but it will do for now,  any thing I fit will be posted up with as many pictures as possible.
And I will post a pic of my bike

Thank you for the comments
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:01:35 AM by Perfictsib »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage