Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: the start of making it mine  (Read 19684 times)

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: the start of making it mine
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2020, 07:14:50 PM »
thanks woody,
it shouldn't be much longer Honda was slow at sending the parts out, (not all of them either) and the usual work, weather and family.

I also wanted to fit a few extras while its off the road like the heated grips and the set of Suzuki sv650 fork springs which I bought about two months after getting the bike as I couldn't get the fork preload set for me it was either to harsh or to soft, rear preload is fine out of shop.
just been putting off fitting them

so heres the sv650 spring (its 65mm longer) next to the cb500x

first time using a lathe to make the spacers, I didn't want to cut the oe ones and motorcycle breakers don't know what this part is.

its a homemade lathe I was given about 20 years ago and never used it till today

both sv650 and cb500x springs with spacers.

( forgot to add spacers are 35mm pvc rod)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:18:33 PM by Perfictsib »

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2020, 07:39:50 PM »
also changed the orange wrap I fitted to the sw motech handguard shell as the old wrap had faded a little bit

new uv protected wrap and new plastic shell.

heated grips have been fitted left hand one was a little tight going on but the right hand grip was worryingly very easy to slide on, the grip glue couldn't hold it in place,
(I used a stanley blade and a rough file to remove only the raised bits of the throttle tube) its now held on with epoxy resin. just got to make the bracket for the controller as I don't like the one which came with the grips once that is done I can connect them up and show you the place I chose for it and I get to ride it again.

fingers are crossed for the weekend,  preferably this weekend

Online Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2020, 09:37:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Perfictsib [+]
well I did more than just fit one I fitted both of them it was that easy even if I did it my way.

here is the link for the mole grip/ vice grip method for removing the bar ends it not in English but you don't need to hear it to know what they doing.
fast forward to 5 minutes 18 seconds that's when he starts to remove the bar ends.

Thanks for this. I'm going to have to use the molegrips method as my heated grips are already fitted and I don't want to have to unglue them
I guess this works on 2019 bikes?

Found this too

[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:55:29 PM by Swanny »
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2020, 10:04:09 PM »
It should do,
I hope they come out easy like in the video for you.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2020, 01:06:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]
Thanks for this. I'm going to have to use the molegrips method as my heated grips are already fitted and I don't want to have to unglue them
I guess this works on 2019 bikes?

Hi Swanny - dont be an animal... the bar ends are very easy to remove with just a flat blade screwdriver - they are designed to be removed in one piece, inner weight at all.

There are any number of threads about this on the forum, the most recent one here:

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,9106.0.html

There is certainly no need for mole-grips or heat guns!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MY18 CB500XA
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2020, 06:09:12 AM »
I agree with Jenny, they were easy to remove on the older bikes hopefully the newer model is the same. A screwdriver is all that is needed :152:

Online Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2020, 08:34:51 AM »
It has Oxford heated grips and I don't want to unstick them. I'll have a look later and see if I can do it gently  :026:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2020, 12:21:18 PM »
Swanny the right hand grip you wont have to unglue, (its the easy side to do) undo the brake master cylinder handle bar clamp slide it inwards. then remove the two twistgrip housing screws and slide that inwards too, you should then be able to see the two tangs which you just push in, the bar end should then pull out.
there are pictures in this thread and the link JMo posted showing the tangs
the left hand one is the tricky one for you the heated grips have a plastic tube inside which you don't want to crack and I don't know how well glued your grips are so you may not be able to get it to move without damaging it,

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2020, 03:27:43 PM »
Yes, to clarify as Perfictsib says, you ought to be able to release the clips by pushing down and twisting the tangs using a flat blade screwdriver with the grips in place... (push and twist in one motion, and the little pin in the holes should release) - I would presevere with that first, you only need to move the grips if you want/need to poke something in the holes themselves to release the pins, but usually that isnt necessary, unless youve snapped off the tangs.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2020, 03:36:53 PM »
Removing OEM grips is relatively easy, but the Oxford heated grips may not be so easy to get off. The instructions from Oxford tell you to adhere the grips to the bar/throttle tube with superglue.

That issue was the first thing that crossed my mind when I installed Oxfords last month.

Recent Topics