Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre Options  (Read 988 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online AJC500

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 994
  • Country: scotland
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Tyre Options
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:58:17 AM »
I thought it might be interesting to pull a few bits of tyre information together from other posts.  Let me know if you disagree, or if there are other well liked tyres out there!  As you will have guessed, I'll be buying tyres soon...... :034:

The favourite road tyre seems to be Michelin Road 5, with others liking Michelin PR4, Metzeler Roadtec 01, Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and Shinko (not listed by black circles).  I've included a few with good magazine reviews too.

Also highly rated is the Avon Trailrider, with a slightly more chunky tread pattern, more of an off road look but still great performance on road.  They seem to have an amazingly long life!

Continental TKC70's seem to be well liked as a real off-road tyre.

These UK costs (for 2 tyres) are from Black Circles, and fitting can range from 10 upwards per wheel.

Road tyres
Dunlop GPR300 Sportmax - 115 (Honda Fit offer 169 fitted)
Continental Conti-Motion - 119
Maxxis M6029 - 121
Continental Road Attack 2 - 179
Bridgestone Battlax T31 - 198
Continental Road Attack 3 - 201
Michelin PR4 - 202
Dunlop Roadsmart 3 - 213
Michelin Road 5 - 221
Metzeler Roadtec 01 - 227

Road/Off Road
Avon Trailriders - 214

Off Road
Continental TKC70 - 229

After all that of course, it'll probably be Road 5's or Trailriders!!   :191:
The Story So Far.........

Offline UKJeeper

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
Re: Tyre Options
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:55:00 AM »
No TKC80 mention?!  :016:

Running them on the RR Stage 1 wheels and liking them for both on and off road. Little slippy in the wet, but that may also be due to being a 'newbie' on a bike (after 22 years off bikes).

However, I'm looking seriously at switching to Trailriders as MOST of my miles are road, with some dirt at the weekends. And the TKC80's wear down quickly on tarmac.

Offline EscCtrl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2708
  • Country: us
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
Re: Tyre Options
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:57:41 PM »
Shinko 705 in sizes 150/70 or 170/60 rear and 120/70 front. Most that run this tire love it. It has a reasonably long life, good in the wet, good on road, and good off road except in deep sand or mud.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Online AJC500

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 994
  • Country: scotland
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: Tyre Options
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:42:00 AM »
OK, TKC80 looks like a serious off road tyre, and similar price to TKC70.

Shinko not so obviously available in the UK (not from Black Circles anyway, who I was using for price comparisons), but I did find a seller at around 200, although they didn't list our standard sizes......another chunky tread tyre for road/off road.

Good stuff, keep them coming!
The Story So Far.........

Offline BobbyLee666

  • CB500X Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Northern VA
Re: Tyre Options
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 06:51:17 PM »
The previous owner of my bike obviously was using it on the street only, as the tires are Shinko Stealth. The company lists them under Super Sport, and are pretty highly rated for their purpose.


Current bike: 2013 CB500XA. Previous bikes: several.

Offline EscCtrl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2708
  • Country: us
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
Re: Tyre Options
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 02:57:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by BobbyLee666 [+]
The previous owner of my bike obviously was using it on the street only, as the tires are Shinko Stealth. The company lists them under Super Sport, and are pretty highly rated for their purpose.



I have used the Advanced 005 on my GS500. They stick very well enough for me to drag a knee. I'll be the Stealth sticks better.  :062:
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline JMo

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 960
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Tyre Options
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 07:26:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
I thought it might be interesting to pull a few bits of tyre information together from other posts.  Let me know if you disagree, or if there are other well liked tyres out there!  As you will have guessed, I'll be buying tyres soon...... :034:

The favourite road tyre seems to be Michelin Road 5, with others liking Michelin PR4, Metzeler Roadtec 01, Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and Shinko (not listed by black circles).  I've included a few with good magazine reviews too.

Also highly rated is the Avon Trailrider, with a slightly more chunky tread pattern, more of an off road look but still great performance on road.  They seem to have an amazingly long life!

Continental TKC70's seem to be well liked as a real off-road tyre.

These UK costs (for 2 tyres) are from Black Circles, and fitting can range from 10 upwards per wheel.

Road tyres
Dunlop GPR300 Sportmax - 115 (Honda Fit offer 169 fitted)
Continental Conti-Motion - 119
Maxxis M6029 - 121
Continental Road Attack 2 - 179
Bridgestone Battlax T31 - 198
Continental Road Attack 3 - 201
Michelin PR4 - 202
Dunlop Roadsmart 3 - 213
Michelin Road 5 - 221
Metzeler Roadtec 01 - 227

Road/Off Road
Avon Trailriders - 214

Off Road
Continental TKC70 - 229

After all that of course, it'll probably be Road 5's or Trailriders!!   :191:

I think you are confusing the TKC70 with the TKC80.

The TKC80 is the blocky off-road orientated tread pattern.

The TKC70 is a dry weather mild trail/dirt-road tyre at best.

More details are on the Continental website.

Jx


Online CB-500-X

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1837
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
Re: Tyre Options
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 02:40:38 PM »
Shinko 009 Raven's easily the best value for your $ ( street tire)

Offline motorboy

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 687
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
Re: Tyre Options
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 03:04:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
Shinko 009 Raven's easily the best value for your $ ( street tire)
I agree netural handling- no noise- very good tires for the money
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Online AJC500

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 994
  • Country: scotland
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: Tyre Options
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 05:37:32 PM »
I didn't find Shinko listed in UK after a quick search - they are on Amazon but no longer available, and on Ebay they are coming from USA........

J, you are absolutely right, I've got my Continentals mixed up, 80's are the real chunky off road tyre......
The Story So Far.........

 


Recent Topics


victorious-backstage