Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New owner....a few questions.  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Longshanks

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016
  • City / Town: London
New owner....a few questions.
« on: May 16, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
Hi all, I picked up a 2016 bike yesterday afternoon and have been scooting around this morning.
First impressions are it's nice and light and suprisingly agile.
Got a few questions:
Fuelling. Seems a bit snatchy in slow traffic. I've not had a fuel injected bike before so maybe it's just about getting used to it.

Neutral. Tricky finding neutral when stopped in a high gear.

Service manual. I like to do most of my own servicing but the only Haynes manual I can find covers 2013-2015. Is the 2016 model much different ?

Fairing guard/bars. Are there any available that don't use the lower engine mount as I plan to use these for sliders.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Re: New owner....a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »
Yes, there are differences in post 2015 models.  There are sections of the Helm manual, including the wiring diagrams, that are divided between 2013-2015 and post 2015 models.  Here is the link for the Honda official Helm manual up to the 2018 model:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=AHC&Make=AHC&Model=CB5X&Year=2016&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fmedia=

It is well worth the investment.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:11:34 PM »
Yes, the throttle takes some getting used to.  You will get the hang of it.  It took me awhile but it's not an issue now.

The gearbox is somewhat tight on a new bike.  Mine has 8300 miles on it now and the gearbox is soooooo much better.  You have to rock the bike back and forth a bit to generate some movement in the gearbox to get it to shift while stopped, or slip the clutch a bit, but this is typical of the sequential type transmission in bikes.  It will get smoother as the tranny wears in.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
I found that foam grip covers made the throttle much less "snatchy".  I have had cushioned grips on prior bikes and the skinny throttle was causing me grief.  Grip Puppies or their equivalent will make life much better.  That was my biggest gripe about the bike!  Removing the windscreen eliminated my problem with helmet buffeting at higher speeds.  Cutting down the OEM levers to make shorties finished the "fixes".

John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:09:38 PM »
Adjust the throttle cables with very little slack. Also changing the gearing to 16 tooth front sprocket or a 39 tooth rear from a NC 700 DSC will make all the difference in the drivability.
Shifting down as you're slowing down is better than trying to drop 3-4 gears at a stop. Gearbox gets smoother with miles, however never will be the best shifting bike out there. I like having the original factory shop manual but honestly have not referred to it in the last three years.

Online Tod.

• CB500X Pro
  • Welsh, by the grace of God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Basildon
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »
From a fellow geezer from Essex, the Haynes manual you describe would be fine for general servicing. Even the valve adjustments. Theres very little difference in the 16 plate to the earlier models, mainly styling, and many of the panels, or maybe all, would fit earliermodels. The mechanics are the same. Snatchy throttle? Take out the slack and youll get used to it. Engine bars? I fitted Hepco and Becker bars. Good investment it seems. Survives a drop, well made, and no vibration, unlike some cheaper bars. Finding neutral? Change down whilst slowing down.  Perfect commuter bike. Great visibility, easy to lane split and filter, and a real world 80+ mpg. 90 mpg if its kept below 65 mph (difficult, needs discipline).😎

Offline Longshanks

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »
Thanks for all your replies, very helpful.
Things done so far.
Ran some fuel system cleaner through it as I think it may have been sitting in the dealers for a while.
Grip puppies fitted.
Throttle cables adjusted, which all adds up to a less snatchy throttle/fueling.
I think I still need to get used to FI after years of carbbed bikes.
Kappa rack and an old top box I had hanging around fitted. Too small so another ordered.
Made a mud flap/fender extenda from some 4mm rubber.
Gel seat pad attached to help prevent numb bum and raise me up a little. Also helps sliding forward and crushing the family jewells on the tank.
Now I've got to see if there's any adjustment in the brake pedal, a bit too low for my big plates.

And I still haven't got used to the indicator and horn buttons being round the wrong way. I've been tooting people when I'm about to turn and and jabbing the indicator button when vehicles are about to pull out on me. :110:

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 11:35:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Longshanks [+]
And I still haven't got used to the indicator and horn buttons being round the wrong way. I've been tooting people when I'm about to turn and and jabbing the indicator button when vehicles are about to pull out on me. :110:

It gets tricky.  I ride 2 bikes, one with the old style controls and the CB500X with the new style.  After 4 years, I usually remember which bike I am on and nudge the right button. 

USUALLY!!!

Offline Longshanks

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 07:14:39 PM »
Fork gaiters and chinese radiator guard fitted..........but most importantly of all.......a 16t front sprocket.

What a revelation, so much nicer and easier to ride, it makes me wonder why it's not geared like this from new !!

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 10:03:38 PM »
Honda has traditionally geared their small bikes such that you can red-line the engine in the top gear only if you are going down hill with a tail wind.

This one pretty much keeps with that approach, I haven't actually had it over 95 mph, but acceleration in top gear was slowing down, and that was part of my semi-hard break-in.  I personally am quite happy with the bike, but, I will go to a 39-tooth rear sprocket when I have to replace the OEM chain, to make the on-road revs a tad lower when cruising along at 65-70 mph. 

So far I have 17,300 miles on the OEM chain, which was kinked when I picked up the new bike at the dealership.

Recent Topics