Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin - Road 5s  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Mence

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Southwater
Re: Michelin - Road 5s
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »
I know, wish they had put better tyres on in the first place.

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 11:34:45 PM »
I'm never going into another British winter with Dunlops ever again.

When the weather turns, just swap the tyres out. It's frustrating but you will thank yourself after you've done it.
Hawk

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 12:48:34 AM »
Tire technology is getting better and better. Michelin makes some nice shoes.

Offline CalmBiker

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 2015
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »
I run PR4's on both bikes and they're great tyres. Has anyone switched from PR4's to Road 5's? I'd be interested to know how different they feel.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Longshanks [+]
After a couple of brown trouser moments in the rain I decided it was time for new hoops. (Original tyres 6500 miles).
I only ever ride on metalled surfaces, the nearest I get to offroading is riding across the pavement to my front garden.

Took the bike to FWR in Kennington and 270 later had a new pair of Michelin Road 5's.
First impressions: tips in quicker and a much comfier ride.
A week later and now run in I am pleased to say they offer excellent grip even on greaasy roundabouts in the wet.
Can you put a price on safety ?
Yes you can....270 Great British spondoolicks to be precise.

Good to hear a review from someone with experience on UK roads...if it's one thing that scares the sh*t out of me it's tar flashing and truck ruts on a wet winter's morning, on crap tyres....does wonders for the sphincter muscles apparently  :156:

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Memphis
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 04:45:22 AM »
I've got 4 months and 4,000 miles on PR 5s. There's no comparison with OEM for me. The stock Dunlops would kick out in dry corners and would easily slide, braking in the rain. The PR 5s handle, brake and perform as advertised in the rain.
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »
I had look at Michelin's website after reading this post and towards the bottom of the page it says the Road 5 is also available in a 'Trail' version...whether this implies a different tread pattern, compound, sidewall stiffness etc. isn't clear...

I searched UK tyre retailers to see what was available and then the confusion really kicked in: some are calling them 'Pilot Road 5', some have tyre codes with TL, M/C or no suffix at all.

From the Michelin website:

MICHELIN Road 5 Trail version available

January
Front : 110/80 R19   |   Rear : 150/70 R17
August
Front : 120/70 ZR19 |  Rear : 170/60 ZR17

When you put CB 500 X into there tyre selector it recommends the following:

Front 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) TL
Rear 160/60 ZR 17 (69W) TL

so the front Trail version is too big (if you're using the stock rim) and the rear Trail version is a marginally different profile

I'm guessing anyone who goes for a 19 inch Rally Raid front wheel conversion will tend towards more off road biased tyres, so perhaps it's a moot point...happy days if you're a V strom or versys owner

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 12:49:07 PM »
Response from Michelin this morning:

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for the interest in our new Michelin Road 5 tyres.

We have dropped the “pilot” prefix on our sport touring tyres, so what would have been the “Pilot Road 5” tyre is just called the “Road 5”.  There is no Pilot Road 5, so don’t worry about ordering the wrong tyre, it’s just the sellers mistake.

On a tyre discription “M/C” stands for motorcycle, and TL does stand for Tubeless, as opposed to TT for Tube Type.

The Trail version of the Road 5 has been specifically designed for large Trail/Adventure bikes that are going to be used purely as a road bike, and the compounds and construction of the tyres have been optimised to suit the bikes and the riding demands put on them. They are only available in the sizes that the big adventure bikes use, so again the tyres you have ordered are going to be the right ones for your bike.

I hope that this helps,

Best regards,

Tony Charlton
2w Customer Engineering Support – Operational Marketing
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:50:41 PM by Jonathan »

Offline TheGnome

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Fredericton
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 03:07:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by TheGnome [+]
It's just started raining here, so I'll get to find out how they handle on wet roads this afternoon.

Just to follow up on the grip in the wet issue, after riding in a few showers and one torrential downpour, I can say that the PR5's perform as advertised; really confidence-inshrining grip on wet surfaces.  I love them.
Far off in the unfashionable backwaters of Eastern Canada

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage