Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Radial brake conversion  (Read 1411 times)

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
Radial brake conversion
« on: June 11, 2018, 09:51:44 PM »
Hello folks,
I recently got the bug to mount radial brakes on the 500. Well, I've got the disease long time ago, but today I started asking around for mounting kits. Found none so far, so sent out a few emails.
Background:
Last year K-speed of Thailand made a CBR500R demo bike which had radial Brembos installed, but they are not selling the kit.

I've sent out enquires to them and two other manufacturers who are known to manufacture such bling. So far I've got one answer from Italy, saying they make no such item currently, but can make a small production run shall I make the design and organize a group buy.

Instead of going for a stellar priced monoblock Brembo, I was thinking about mounting a used Yamaha R6, R1 monobloc (they are considered the best bang for the money) or Triump Speed Triple R radials. These have 108mm mount pattern and should provide superior braking performance to the stock caliper.

Before anyone starts to comment that the stock calipers are enough because they can block the wheels - this mod is not for them.

Radial brakes (especially monoblock calipers) give superior control and feel of the brakes. Plus they look super bling.

The plan:
Design a caliper mount what allows to install 108 mm bolt spacing radial calipers on the standard forks. ABS sensor placement might be incorporated in the mount or to a replacement wheel spacer. Ideally the new rig should clear the RR spoke wheels too, but it is guaranteed as four pot calipers are wider than the oem floating caliper and might not clear the spokes.
This thread is active on the CBR forum also, and will be posted ro Advrider too. If we can collect enough interest to get it done, I'll come back with a price estimate and ask for commitment from those who show interest.

(Yes, I've upgraded my suspension before I started to work on this mod, thank you :-)

If you 're interested leave a comment below, as some manufacturers might need a minimum production run to make a design and CNC setup.

Attached:
K-speed demo bike
Radial brake caliper on K-speed bike
Example of radial caliper mounted on a traditional fork

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
Re: Radial brake conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 05:47:25 PM »
Most people don't know the difference in the master cylinder and caliper between the two systems. Very few to none will benefit from radial braking. So it would mostly be a thing of look what farkle I have, even then, most will not understand what they're looking at.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-things-are-radial-brakes

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:56:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
Most people don't know the difference in the master cylinder and caliper between the two systems. Very few to none will benefit from radial braking. So it would mostly be a thing of look what farkle I have, even then, most will not understand what they're looking at.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-things-are-radial-brakes

Ben, you might be right the main target group of the CB500 family probably don't know or cannot differentiate between radial calipers and radial MC.  I deliberately posted pics to clarify what I'm talking about. Thanks for linking the article for clarification.

As I wrote above this is not for those who feel they have more than adequate brake on the CB, or don't know what it is about.

Now for those who are interested, I guarantee that a relatively cheap used 4 pot monoblock Sumitomo caliper from an R6 which can be bought under 50 bucks is guaranteed to have better feel, modulation and stopping power what our stock sliding pin calipers.

But as I said - I don't want to confuse or convert anybody. If you're interested, let me know.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
Ben, you might be right the main target group of the CB500 family probably don't know or cannot differentiate between radial calipers and radial MC.  I deliberately posted pics to clarify what I'm talking about. Thanks for linking the article for clarification.

As I wrote above this is not for those who feel they have more than adequate brake on the CB, or don't know what it is about.

Now for those who are interested, I guarantee that a relatively cheap used 4 pot monoblock Sumitomo caliper from an R6 which can be bought under 50 bucks is guaranteed to have better feel, modulation and stopping power what our stock sliding pin calipers.

But as I said - I don't want to confuse or convert anybody. If you're interested, let me know.

:062: The mount would be the only issue that I can see with using a radial caliper. What about a matching master cylinder to top off the system? Is there anything in the CBR line up that radial and may fit? I'm not familiar with sports bikes as I was when I was young.

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
Yup, I'm about to collect enough interest so I can manage a small production run.

Indeed there is a radial MC. CBR 600 RR and 1000RR runs those since 2006 or so.

Offline Brainflex

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: Whakatane
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 08:01:55 AM »
Have you posted in the CBR500R forum? May be more interest on the sports bikes side of things.

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 08:04:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Brainflex [+]
Have you posted in the CBR500R forum? May be more interest on the sports bikes side of things.

As written in the opening post:
"This thread is active on the CBR forum also, and will be posted to Advrider too. If we can collect enough interest to get it done, I'll come back with a price estimate and ask for commitment from those who show interest."

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 12:04:52 AM »
Yup, I'm about to collect enough interest so I can manage a small production run.

Indeed there is a radial MC. CBR 600 RR and 1000RR runs those since 2006 or so.

:062: Good to hear you're up to date on this stuff.

Offline Sherloc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kansas City, MO
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 12:40:50 AM »

Hi, Did this project ever get past the discussion phase?

Thx!

Recent Topics