Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Valve clearance & gaskets  (Read 545 times)

Online uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Valve clearance & gaskets
« on: June 13, 2018, 01:12:36 PM »
I need the wisdom of The Forum...

I called up a different bike shop today to get a quote on a valve clearance check. Right out the gate they said that I should also replace the gaskets. Never having had to do that before I asked why, as my engine is not seeping oil. They asked how far the bike has travelled, and when I said 140,000km they replied that over that period of time the old gaskets will perish and probably will fall apart when they open the engine. They then said that they'd have to order the gaskets in (they are not a Honda shop), so I'd have to decide on the gaskets before the service.

So, my question is simply are they just trying to sell me stuff that I don't need?

The only two gaskets that I found on the website of the parts website I use (wemoto) are engine gaskets in either aluminium fibre or copper. I doubt that either are likely to fall apart as suggested, so is the guy just feeding me bullsh#t?

I have no idea what the cost from them is likely to be... probably not much (wemoto is pretty cheap - they're only $2.50) and for only a few bucks I'm not really bothered, but I do get a bit tired of dealers over charging or unnecessarily suggesting that issues might exist simply to sell something else. It also (this is the real issue) has me doubting them more generally so I'm wary of what else they might 'find'. So, it will be good to know whether I'm being a bit too precious or not.  :001:

Anyway, I thought that someone might have some interesting knowledge / thoughts....

PS they also mentioned some rubbish about the work costing more if they have to drain the engine coolant to open the engine. That just sounded strange.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:14:36 PM by uku383 »

Online HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
Re: Valve clearance & gaskets
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:25:53 PM »
They are probably referring to the rubber/plastic gasket that sits between the cylinder head cover and head - 12391-MGZ-J00

'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350

Riding Through the Fog

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon [+]
They are probably referring to the rubber/plastic gasket that sits between the cylinder head cover and head - 12391-MGZ-J00

+1 I franky don't see how the gasket would be cooked by this time - usually they detoriate with age but not in this timeframe. Would not hurt to have one around tho.
I hope they at least have the shims on hand, so you don't have to order those before. :-) No engine coolant has to be drained to do the valve shims on the CB500.

Here's a video with valve adjustment on the CBR500R - mechanically the same as ours.

12391-MGZ-J00 is Number 4 on the attached parts fisches. Costs about 25usd on Partzilla, so expect to pay around 50 AUD after paying the down under tax.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:52:49 PM by Oyabun »

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
That type of gasket would fail for two reasons age and or heat cycles- with that many miles and that age I would change- it's to much work to find you have a leak later
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:06:06 PM by motorboy »
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »
At 87,000 miles, I would be changing the gaskets at that price also.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 11:28:05 PM »
+1 . Yup change the gaskets, period. The old ones have been sitting there compressed all this time and will never seal as good as the new ones. What's the saying ? " don't be penny wise and pound foolish" heck I even changed my brake fluid reservoir gaskets when I bled my brakes. I don't like doing the same job twice because of a small low cost item. Do it right the first time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:30:50 PM by CB-500-X »

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 12:53:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
I need the wisdom of The Forum...

I called up a different bike shop today to get a quote on a valve clearance check. Right out the gate they said that I should also replace the gaskets. Never having had to do that before I asked why, as my engine is not seeping oil. They asked how far the bike has travelled, and when I said 140,000km they replied that over that period of time the old gaskets will perish and probably will fall apart when they open the engine. They then said that they'd have to order the gaskets in (they are not a Honda shop), so I'd have to decide on the gaskets before the service.

So, my question is simply are they just trying to sell me stuff that I don't need?

The only two gaskets that I found on the website of the parts website I use (wemoto) are engine gaskets in either aluminium fibre or copper. I doubt that either are likely to fall apart as suggested, so is the guy just feeding me bullsh#t?

I have no idea what the cost from them is likely to be... probably not much (wemoto is pretty cheap - they're only $2.50) and for only a few bucks I'm not really bothered, but I do get a bit tired of dealers over charging or unnecessarily suggesting that issues might exist simply to sell something else. It also (this is the real issue) has me doubting them more generally so I'm wary of what else they might 'find'. So, it will be good to know whether I'm being a bit too precious or not.  :001:

Anyway, I thought that someone might have some interesting knowledge / thoughts....

PS they also mentioned some rubbish about the work costing more if they have to drain the engine coolant to open the engine. That just sounded strange.

At your mileage, I would replace them. Cheap insurance against a future leak that could go unnoticed for a while.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Online uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:42:06 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll be changing them.  :002:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 04:33:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
Thanks guys, I'll be changing them.  :002:

:062:
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Recent Topics