Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Putting together a CB500X specific complete toolkit  (Read 6444 times)

Offline Wilde

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 RR CB500X
  • City / Town: West Covina
Putting together a CB500X specific complete toolkit
« on: June 19, 2018, 12:28:20 AM »
I'm trying to put together a small but complete toolkit that I can carry on the bike and has all the tools I could need for repairs on the road. I'm trying to eliminate things I won't need. Has anyone made a list of socket sizes or allen key sizes that the X uses?

I think the toolkit will consist of a 3/8" socket wrench, sockets, hex (allen) sockets, two socket extensions, wrenches, tire irons, screwdrivers, tire patch kit, tire pressure gauge, pliers, zip ties, quiksteel, electrical tape, duct tape, fuses, baling wire & electrical wire.

Sockets: So far I've used 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm & 17mm. I know the rear wheel axle requires 19mm and 24mm. That's only missing 15mm, 16mm, and 18mm... so I'm debating just including those too. Looking at these: http://a.co/ddtQf6c

Hex drive (allen): for sure 5mm, 6mm and 8mm. Front axle is a 17mm hex, and I'm thinking about getting one of these and just putting it in the 17mm socket: http://a.co/fgIu1W8 I haven't found any other needed sizes yet.

Wrenches: I'm debating between a set of double headed metric wrenches like this:  http://a.co/7PbWaLT or just one adjustable wrench (which would open wide enough for the 24mm axle bolt like this one: http://a.co/fc2ZCL6). I think just one adjustable wrench makes the most sense.

Tire Irons: I'm not sure what to get. I've heard good things about these: http://a.co/jjjfmPG Or maybe this set: http://a.co/eb7XWmx Anyone have opinions on a good tire iron set?

Screwdriver (JIS): I'm thinking about this one: http://a.co/9zONdcr I'd just take the bit with the flat head and the #2.

Pliers: I'm thinking a needlenose and a 6" Channellock plier. Lots of kits include locking pliers (vice grips) but I think they'd be redundant.

I'd appreciate any criticism, insight or advice.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:34:35 AM by Wilde »

Offline Celeste1178

• CB500X Pro
  • Hi everybody!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
Re: Putting together a CB500X specific complete toolkit
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 12:38:27 AM »
I don't have any advice but I appreciate the post... I'm eager to see the replies.

Online CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 02:08:46 AM »
CB500x's don't break. I have never needed tools in 3 1/2 years if ownership. I carry basic tools - a few wrenchs, a screw driver, pliers, a pocket knife, zip ties, and tape. I do carry a small compressor and tire plug kit. And finally, a spare clutch and brake lever. Spare nuts  and bolts. All fit in one tool tube. The other tool tube has rain gear, small light weight backpack and a few rags.
Keep the good tools at home  :169:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:14:12 AM by CB-500-X »

Offline Wilde

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:45:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
CB500x's don't break. I have never needed tools in 3 1/2 years if ownership. I carry basic tools - a few wrenchs, a screw driver, pliers, a pocket knife, zip ties, and tape. I do carry a small compressor and tire plug kit. And finally, a spare clutch and brake lever. Spare nuts  and bolts. All fit in one tool tube. The other tool tube has rain gear, small light weight backpack and a few rags.
Keep the good tools at home  :169:

You're probably right, but blame it on an experience I had one Saturday afternoon driving solo through Utah on an empty stretch of road when my tire semi-disintegrated and destroyed a bunch of stuff in the wheel well before I could pull over. By sheer coincidence I happened to have an extensive toolkit with me (including a butane soldering iron) and it saved me from being stranded for a couple days.

Plus, I have the Rally Raid conversion and I plan to be off-road in the middle of nowhere at times.

I hope you're right and I'll never use the tools... but I'll feel better having them with me.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 08:06:47 AM »
Hi Wilde - you may have seen this already, but this is what I carry when travelling and it all fits under the seat of my CB - if you pause the slides you'll see a list of all the tools with sizes etc.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

ps. You can stash a spare inner-tube inside the front fairing sides.
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Wilde

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 03:45:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Hi Wilde - you may have seen this already, but this is what I carry when travelling and it all fits under the seat of my CB - if you pause the slides you'll see a list of all the tools with sizes etc.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

ps. You can stash a spare inner-tube inside the front fairing sides.

Hey Jenny, I did see it last night. I was looking at what you had that I didn't and vice versa.

A couple questions: I definitely need to add a spoke wrench. Why do you have multiple sized bits for that? Also, I just watched your tire change video and I think I want a bead buddy as well. Breaking the bead seemed like the hardest part, so do you think the bead breaking tire irons I linked would be a good idea?

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 06:35:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wilde [+]
A couple questions: I definitely need to add a spoke wrench. Why do you have multiple sized bits for that? Also, I just watched your tire change video and I think I want a bead buddy as well. Breaking the bead seemed like the hardest part, so do you think the bead breaking tire irons I linked would be a good idea?

Jenny's kit is exceptionally well thought - but as it is indivdual to it's rider. I think all have our own prefeences.
If I'm not mistaken, the RR special axle tool has an appropriate sized spoke wrench cutted to it.

I use the later type "spoon wrenches" from Motion pro. (In fact I've bought it from the original asian manufacturer), ad have one size  from Motion Pro as the other set had not that size. I love them, as they are surprisingly light for their utility and strength. I believe the 24 size has the largest torque rating. I also have one of those MOTION PRO T-6 Combo Lever Adapters in size 24 which is used to double the tire wrench as a 3/4 drive, and also works as a 1/4-3/4 adaptor so you can use 3/4 drive sockets.

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
Co2 cannisters for inflating tyres.
Also the puncture repair kit that you can use if say a nail or screw enters the tyre.   You take out item from tyre, use a rasp type thing to slide in and out of hole of tyre, then put tyre glue oo and in hole with rasp. Then put this sticky cord type thing with a bit of glue on the pronged inserting tool, push 1/2 way into hole. Wait 5 mins, cut off excess...inflate.
Brilliant.

Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wilde [+]
Hey Jenny, I did see it last night. I was looking at what you had that I didn't and vice versa.

The DRC spoke wrench comes with multiple bits, so you just choose the one you need for the Rally-Raid spokes (6.4 as I recall), but I also like to carry the 6.0 and 7.0mm size, as they double up as small open ended wrenches of course.

I've not used the black Bead-breaker style MotionPro tyre levers myself, but have friends who say they work well - so I'd say give them a go... However, be aware than braking a bead on a tubeless tyre (like a TKC80), even if you're running tubes inside them can be a bitch with whatever trail-side tools you have...

Personally I try to ride on a flat tyre until one of the beads unseats, then change the tube from there.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 09:02:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by bullroarer [+]
Co2 cannisters for inflating tyres.
Also the puncture repair kit that you can use if say a nail or screw enters the tyre.   You take out item from tyre, use a rasp type thing to slide in and out of hole of tyre, then put tyre glue oo and in hole with rasp. Then put this sticky cord type thing with a bit of glue on the pronged inserting tool, push 1/2 way into hole. Wait 5 mins, cut off excess...inflate.
Brilliant.

[/quote
Ahhh , this wont work with spokes.... :005: but the co2 cannisters will get you air
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage