Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Putting together a CB500X specific complete toolkit  (Read 5762 times)

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Putting together a CB500X specific complete toolkit
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by bullroarer [+]
Co2 cannisters for inflating tyres.
Also the puncture repair kit that you can use if say a nail or screw enters the tyre.   You take out item from tyre, use a rasp type thing to slide in and out of hole of tyre, then put tyre glue oo and in hole with rasp. Then put this sticky cord type thing with a bit of glue on the pronged inserting tool, push 1/2 way into hole. Wait 5 mins, cut off excess...inflate.
Brilliant.

These only work for tubeless tyres of course - but yes, a plug kit is a great idea if you're running  the stock wheels, or the tubeless version of the Rally-Raid spoked wheels. Dynaplug is another compact tool which is very easy to plug small nail-sized holes with.

As for CO2 cartridges, in my experience they work ok on a front dirt-bike tyre (21"), but trying to fill a 150/70x17 dual-sport tyre will take a handful. They are very small though, so might be an idea to keep a couple to help re-seat a tyre initially - but I would always use a 12v compressor (as per the one in my video) for actual full inflation.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Wilde

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 RR CB500X
  • City / Town: West Covina
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
The DRC spoke wrench comes with multiple bits, so you just choose the one you need for the Rally-Raid spokes (6.4 as I recall), but I also like to carry the 6.0 and 7.0mm size, as they double up as small open ended wrenches of course.

I've not used the black Bead-breaker style MotionPro tyre levers myself, but have friends who say they work well - so I'd say give them a go... However, be aware than braking a bead on a tubeless tyre (like a TKC80), even if you're running tubes inside them can be a bitch with whatever trail-side tools you have...

Personally I try to ride on a flat tyre until one of the beads unseats, then change the tube from there.

Jx

Thanks for the advice.

Offline Oldhorse

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »
Hi JMo,
You previously mentioned carrying a single 18" tube to handle both front and rear tire flats for the RR 17/19 wheel combo.
Has that worked well or did it prove to be " a great idea that wasn't worth a darn"?
Some riders have reported the wrong size tubes blow out way too easy.
Thanks.

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 10:34:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oldhorse [+]
Hi JMo,
You previously mentioned carrying a single 18" tube to handle both front and rear tire flats for the RR 17/19 wheel combo.
Has that worked well or did it prove to be " a great idea that wasn't worth a darn"?
Some riders have reported the wrong size tubes blow out way too easy.
Thanks.

Hi Oldhorse - don't worry, I never have ideas that aren't worth a darn ;o)

To recap - I elected/continue to carry an 18" x 120-ish size rear tube as a spare on my CB, as it will fit inside the front 110/80x19 front tyre, plus is just large enough to fill the [much larger] volume of a 150/70x17 rear.

both times I've had to use it, it's been in the rear tyre, and I would say that size tube should only be used as a temporary measure (although in one instance I did continue for another 1500 miles on it before swapping to a new tyre and correct size rear tube), so yes - it works as a spare to keep you going, but ideally you'd fit the correct size replacement tube once you get to a tyre shop.

For info. based on my ongoing feedback with both the CB500X and now the G310GS with the Rally-Raid spoked wheels fitted, John [at Rally-Raid] has now decided to specify/sell the slightly narrower 140/80x17 rear TKC80 for both bikes as their recommended tyre of choice.

You can still fit a 150/70x17 if you wish of course (other brands don't necessarily have a 140 width 17" rear tyre), but we feel this is the best size rear tyre for either bike if you want a high-quality 50/50 tyre.

note. In relation to carrying a single spare tube, this also means that an 18"x120 tube doesn't have to stretch quite so much either.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline BobbyLee666

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Northern VA
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 06:42:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
CB500x's don't break. I have never needed tools in 3 1/2 years if ownership. I carry basic tools - a few wrenchs, a screw driver, pliers, a pocket knife, zip ties, and tape. I do carry a small compressor and tire plug kit. And finally, a spare clutch and brake lever. Spare nuts  and bolts. All fit in one tool tube. The other tool tube has rain gear, small light weight backpack and a few rags.
Keep the good tools at home  :169:

Not to hijack the thread, but how did you attach the tool tubes? I looked over the pictures in your gallery and saw they were initially held on by multiple tie wraps.
Current bike: 2013 CB500XA. Previous bikes: several.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 07:23:28 PM »
sorry for the late response - still zip tied on one end and bolted to the luggage rack on the rear

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 10:43:57 AM »
Hi JMo,

*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
The DRC spoke wrench comes with multiple bits, so you just choose the one you need for the Rally-Raid spokes (6.4 as I recall), but I also like to carry the 6.0 and 7.0mm size, as they double up as small open ended wrenches of course.

My other bike, a BMW R1200C, has spoked wheels and I have never adjusted the spokes in 20 years of ownership.   That's not saying they don't need maintenance, its because I never thought to check further than just tapping them to make sure they all sound the same.   The last time I tried to tighten spokes was on a push bike when I was about 15 and ended up with a twisted wheel.

So, now, seeing this post I think, right, I need a spoke wrench for my RR Spoked Wheels.   Then I think, ok, so what do I do with it............   So do some research and see that some spoked wheels need regular maintenance and have torque settings.  I read that tapping is a crude way to understand if they need tightening and checking the torque of each one should be part of the service (this was on a HD site).   Reading elsewhere I see that 10% can be out of tolerance before you have problems and then I read more and they say critical to maintaining corning ability, and another site says 10% can be out without problems.   Ahhhhhhhhhhh.............. my head hurts....................

Added to this I have the BART tubless system fitted, if I tighten the spokes will it affect the polymer seal?

You know how people have irrational fears of spiders, or treading on the cracks in the pavement?  well, I am developing a fear of spokes, lying awake at night thinking I have done over  10,000 miles on and off road, they all sound fine, but are they.....  I now have very nice spoke wrenches, all nice and shiny.   Now what????????????????????????
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]
Hi JMo,

My other bike, a BMW R1200C, has spoked wheels and I have never adjusted the spokes in 20 years of ownership.   That's not saying they don't need maintenance, its because I never thought to check further than just tapping them to make sure they all sound the same.   The last time I tried to tighten spokes was on a push bike when I was about 15 and ended up with a twisted wheel.

So, now, seeing this post I think, right, I need a spoke wrench for my RR Spoked Wheels.   Then I think, ok, so what do I do with it............   So do some research and see that some spoked wheels need regular maintenance and have torque settings.  I read that tapping is a crude way to understand if they need tightening and checking the torque of each one should be part of the service (this was on a HD site).   Reading elsewhere I see that 10% can be out of tolerance before you have problems and then I read more and they say critical to maintaining corning ability, and another site says 10% can be out without problems.   Ahhhhhhhhhhh.............. my head hurts....................

Added to this I have the BART tubless system fitted, if I tighten the spokes will it affect the polymer seal?

You know how people have irrational fears of spiders, or treading on the cracks in the pavement?  well, I am developing a fear of spokes, lying awake at night thinking I have done over  10,000 miles on and off road, they all sound fine, but are they.....  I now have very nice spoke wrenches, all nice and shiny.   Now what????????????????????????

Hi Slow'  - really, I wouldn't worry too much about it... I've had a set of RR spoked wheels on my bike for 30,000 pretty hard miles now, and they've never gone out of true, or even loose - that is kind of what you pay for with a robust, high-quality wheel-set.

for info. you can test if any spokes are loose by running the wrench around them like a harp (either in a continuous motion or individually) - they should make a ting sound. If you get a duller or donk sound, that one needs tightening slightly, but only ever about a quarter turn should be ample to get it tinging again.

No problem doing it with the BARTubeless fitted, that is the whole point of having the vulcanised thick polymer band, so you can adjust (and even replace) the spokes as necessary without that affecting the integrity of the seal.

So just continue to check them every so often to make sure they are all still tinging, and you're good to go.

Jx

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »

Cool, many thanks.  I can sleep easy now.
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Online nbsdave

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 500X, ABS
  • City / Town: Sarasota, FL
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 02:54:40 PM »
good info and advice on the tools needed

when the toolkit is not handy

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage