Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 CB500X - ABS Warning Light - Flashing  (Read 1693 times)

Offline ArchieAdv

• CB500X Pro
  • Retired
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XAdvRR
  • City / Town: Claypole, Lincs
2016 CB500X - ABS Warning Light - Flashing
« on: June 29, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »
A problem has arisen today after I swapped my wheels from the RR wheels back to OEM.
Firstly I washed and cleaned the bike last Saturday and put it to bed after blow drying and wiping down and covering in the garage.  All seemed fine at the time. FF to this morning and everything is working as expected dash lights come on it does it’s pre-start checks and fires up no problems.  I pull onto the road and set off and notice within 50-100 metres that the ABS light is flashing, I pull up and switch off and restart alls well same as initial start up and off I go again. ABS light continues to flash.  So now I’m thinking did I damage anything when swapping the wheels. So I do a brake test rear wheel locks up no pulse sensation on the pedal.  Front operates normally pulse working.  Anyway I continue on my journey and on return decide to pull the rear wheel and check everything is okay. Only potential problem I find is the pulse ring (reluctor ring) is slightly out of true. In as much as it takes a little levering to bring back to true as seen using a straight edge to check and I reassemble.  BTW I checked the ABS sensor too ensuring there was no visible damage. Nada. 

Wheel assy back onto the bike and what a cluster design the rear axle and adjusters is..!!! After buggering around for what seemed like forever I finally got everything lined up and tightened and back out to road test.  Same result no change.  Pulled it apart again and still cannot find what the problem is.  Of course the brakes still work fine as described in the owner manual but the flashing light would drive you nuts or me at least anyway!  I hate things not being right.

I’m going to pull the sensor again and the only other simple thing I haven’t done yet is top up the brake fluid which I will do now.

Only other point I can add is that after cleaning the bike I also spray with WD40 as I’ve done all my life with all of my bikes and it has never been is issue with this bike before as I’ve owned it now for 18 months.

So open to offers and the knowledge from within the collective of this forum. Oh, and a new ABS sensor is priced at 258.46.  Honda are taking our pants down or at least mine anyway if it has to be replaced.  I ask you how the f**k can they justify that price?  Lastly I’m also going to try swapping back to my other wheels and tyres to see if the problem goes away although I don’t see how it could. Anyway over to you all and thanks in advance for any responses. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:55:41 PM by ArchieAdv »
Archie

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Re: 2016 CB500X - ABS Warning Light - Flashing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 05:43:22 PM »
Check the distance between the ring and the sensor, is it different from the original wheels.
I think the sensor is magnetic and sort of acts like a reed valve, so every time it goes past the serated disc it cuts in and out. Maybe the ring is now too far from sensor.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline ArchieAdv

• CB500X Pro
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
Thanks for quick reply I did that and adjusted the ring where it had a slight bow in it.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow after I refit the other wheels.   :821:

More to come when I know.
Archie

Offline Brainflex

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: Whakatane
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
Yep, for some reason the sensor isn't picking up the slotted ring when the wheels are turning.

Offline UKJeeper

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »
I'm guessing you used the RR tone ring on the stock front wheel?

Nope. Doesn't work. Been there. You're not the first to get caught out by this. Won't be the last either.

You need the STOCK tone ring, on the stock wheel, and the RR tone ring on the RR wheel.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:44:38 AM by UKJeeper »

Offline ArchieAdv

• CB500X Pro
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
Todays update - Well as expected it was the gap on the rear pulse ring sitting at ~5mm which is about 3.5mm to wide.  Bull and Brain on the money, and as I had suspected but it's always good to get the fresh eyes overview from others.

UJ - As explained above it was the rear that was causing the problem not the front and the RR  ring has never been a problem in the time I've had the kit on the bike which is around 15 months.  Thanks for the input too.

It was strange as I've swapped the wheels and tyres previously without any issues as both rears have the OEM pulse ring and there is absolutely no difference between them.  The OEM front is standard but the RR front has RR pulse ring and as said above no problem. 

Kudos to all at RR I personally think they have achieved some great results with this conversion for the CBX. 

I have one gripe and it's not down to RR but Honda.  The rear axle adjustment is diabolical and anything any does to stop those fecking stupid adjusters from falling out would be very welcome.  I'm at the point where I'm likely to fabricate a little keeper plate for the right side as it is just a complete PITA.  God help anyone that has to fix a puncture on the rear with a tubed tyre.

All for now. Thanks for the input gents keep them shiny side up and enjoy the weather that we have currently. Till the next time.
Archie

Archie

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by ArchieAdv [+]
Todays update - Well as expected it was the gap on the rear pulse ring sitting at ~5mm which is about 3.5mm to wide.  Bull and Brain on the money, and as I had suspected but it's always good to get the fresh eyes overview from others...

...I have one gripe and it's not down to RR but Honda.  The rear axle adjustment is diabolical and anything any does to stop those fecking stupid adjusters from falling out would be very welcome.  I'm at the point where I'm likely to fabricate a little keeper plate for the right side as it is just a complete PITA.  God help anyone that has to fix a puncture on the rear with a tubed tyre.

Hi Archie - Im currenty on the road so will be brief...

Sorry to hear youre having trouble, if you can actaully see the ABS ring is bent then that is almost certainly the issue. You can take it off and try and flatten it if the gap seems inconsistent, the other thing to consider is that many Honda OEM parts are much cheaper in the USA - take a look at Babbitts Parts House for example, and also check different model years (both on the UK and US fiches) as prices can vary considerably.

As for your chain adjusters - its quite simple: just put a short strip of duct tape over the top and bottom to hold them into the end of the swing-arm whenever you need to remove and repace the wheel. You can even leave the tape in place all the time if youre particularly ghetto ;o)

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:43:24 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline ArchieAdv

• CB500X Pro
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for that info I didn't mean to disturb your extended sojourn with my trivia. As mentioned above it's sorted with putting my RR wheels back in place so no major drama. I did use duct tape both yesterday and today after god knows how many attempts.... Numpty at times. :745: Fortunately I can legitimately put it down to my age now as I'm well past being a boy racer.  I know the bikes are built cheap but really how much would that have saved in the bigger scheme of things cost down just to have put proper adjusters on there. Don't waste time answering I'm just moaning....

I hope all is going well on your trip and as ever your ride reports are great. You should have been a journo....lol Stay healthy.

Regards
Archie

Offline UKJeeper

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by ArchieAdv [+]
UKJ - As explained above it was the rear that was causing the problem not the front and the RR  ring has never been a problem in the time I've had the kit on the bike which is around 15 months.  Thanks for the input too.

Apologies. I did miss that part.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage