Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: deciding to keep the cb500x  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Member
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rainsville, AL
Re: deciding to keep the cb500x
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 10:41:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by willc86 [+]
the only issue for the drz400e and the klx250 is comfort.

the klx250s is def more comfortable than the drz400e but I can only reach 60MPH in colorado

the cb500x for me tops at 80MPH (not enough power to rev more) might increase a sprocket though in the front to see if it helps

the cb500x is super comfortable and smooth at highspeeds. I think that is why I would like either a KTM690r or a DR650but still debating once I finish up my DRZ400 set up
There might be something wrong with the bike.  However, if the altitude is really causing that much lack of power gearing it higher with a bigger front sprocket will make the problem worse, not better.   More dirt oriented bikes generally have seats and seating positions that are less comfortable on the road as  well.

12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Member
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rainsville, AL
Re: deciding to keep the cb500x
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
Unless you have your X very heavily loaded it should do better then 80 mph.  I am about 230 lbs in full gear and carry about 15 lbs in a top box.  I had problems with top speed on my 2016.  Had trouble keeping it at 70 mph on the interstate if there was much head wind and could not really over take in any real sense.  I was seriously considering getting a different bike with more power.  Then I did a valve job on it at about 4500 miles.  All valves were tight, one exhaust valve was VERY tight.  After correcting the valves it is a very different bike.  At 80 mph it still has plenty of power to over take and pass.  On a late night run on a deserted rural stretch of interstate I was able to confirm it can now do triple digits fairly easily.  Its at 9300 miles now and doing quite well.

Not to be too much of a stickler but a valve job and a valve adjustment are vastly different things.   You probably know that.  Valve job is what do if you wait too long without doing a valve adjustment.  :016:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:47:38 PM by Bama_Rider »
12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage